Anyone ever make their own pedal board?

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/21/2008 7:23 pm
I'm trying to clean up the mess of pedals I have and went online in search of a pedal board. Looking at one of the cheapest, I figured, why not make one yourself? I saw this online:
and figured, why not get some pre-cut wood, double-sided velcro, a few tacks or screws, and I'm good to go. I'm sure there's plenty of creative and enterprising players out there, so, I'm wondering what some of you may have done, and what I may consider.

I'm aiming just to get my pedals all in one place neatly. I have patch cables, power supplies, with daisy-chained power adapters. At minimum, I'll always have noise gate, compressor, tube overdrive pedals. But I'm looking to have room for 6 pedals max.

I was also thinking of getting a plastic art supply suitcase, and maybe just cutting holes where necessary. If I want to elevate the rear, I'll just put a book under, or a 2x4 under it. Any ideas, guys and gals? Thanks in advance!
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 1
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
02/21/2008 9:50 pm
i made my own once but it didnt work out so good.

one thing you need to think about is cable storage. if you leave all of your patches and power cables on the top youll have a big mess. and be sure to get some zip ties to keep everything neat.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 2
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/21/2008 9:57 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJerai made my own once but it didnt work out so good.

Hi Broken,

What part didn't work? Thanks.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 3
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
02/21/2008 10:32 pm
first off the cables and power chords were always a mess. second for some pedals the velcro i used (cheap stuff) wasnt strong enough. and mine didnt have a top to it so my pedals were always exposed. my design sucked basically.

mine was just a 13 by 24 inch peice of 3/4 in plywood with a 1 inch lip on the bottom back and a half inch lip on the top of the front.

i give some advice i learned. built it so the top where the pedals are mounted is the cover of cavity (look at some of the ones on the market now). back route all the the cables even the 1 foot patches. be sure to get some kind of cover for it for when its not in use. the suitcase idea you have is good but make sure the top comes all the off and the inside of the bottom is reinforced so it cant break down. and stick some rubber footpads on the bottom so you dont have to chase your crybaby everywhere. and last but not least. draw a map of everything ,cable and power chord, pedal settings and locations, just to make things easier to change.

thats some advice i guess use it dont use but its free.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 4
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/21/2008 10:42 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJerathats some advice i guess use it dont use but its free.

Hey, that was excellent. Free, I like free! Stuff for me to think about. Thanks mucho. Or just drop $50 for the board in the pic....

# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/21/2008 11:39 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoI'm trying to clean up the mess of pedals I have and went online in search of a pedal board. Looking at one of the cheapest, I figured, why not make one yourself? I saw this online:
and figured, why not get some pre-cut wood, double-sided velcro, a few tacks or screws, and I'm good to go. I'm sure there's plenty of creative and enterprising players out there, so, I'm wondering what some of you may have done, and what I may consider.

I'm aiming just to get my pedals all in one place neatly. I have patch cables, power supplies, with daisy-chained power adapters. At minimum, I'll always have noise gate, compressor, tube overdrive pedals. But I'm looking to have room for 6 pedals max.

I was also thinking of getting a plastic art supply suitcase, and maybe just cutting holes where necessary. If I want to elevate the rear, I'll just put a book under, or a 2x4 under it. Any ideas, guys and gals? Thanks in advance!

Tried it once back in the 80's but gave it up in favor of a multi-effects unit.
Guess the major things for me were all the extra cables and fitting in the multitudes of 9 volt power supplies and the fact that it looked home-made and cheezy even though I'd spent days on it.
..enjoy...

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/pedalboard.jpg
# 6
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/22/2008 12:41 am
::::snorts LMFAO!::: sorry, Kevin! That looked like a freaking dollhouse or something!

If I didn't spend so much $$ on stuff in the last coupla weeks, I'd just buy the $50 board I saw. But $300 on the MiM Strat, $233 on the Peavey and some accessories, $30 on a pedal...and the list goes on...mebbe I'll just buy the board..dunno, delirious with a fever now...:::still laughing at the pic:::priceless, man!

# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/22/2008 1:10 am
Originally Posted by: Silimtao::::snorts LMFAO!::: sorry, Kevin! That looked like a freaking dollhouse or something!

If I didn't spend so much $$ on stuff in the last coupla weeks, I'd just buy the $50 board I saw. But $300 on the MiM Strat, $233 on the Peavey and some accessories, $30 on a pedal...and the list goes on...mebbe I'll just buy the board..dunno, delirious with a fever now...:::still laughing at the pic:::priceless, man!

yah... that's why I never did it again. I even built a hinged top for it with a handle so I could carry it around with me.
Guess it's a good thing I didn't post the pic of my spandex pants and snake skin t-shirt too. :rolleyes:
# 8
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/22/2008 1:25 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin Tayloryah... that's why I never did it again. I even built a hinged top for it with a handle so I could carry it around with me.
Guess it's a good thing I didn't post the pic of my spandex pants and snake skin t-shirt too. :rolleyes:

Hey at least you tried. A++ for effort at the very least!

I suggest you post it in the review section (who says we can't put in homemade stuff?).

# 9
strat-man
strat-man
02/23/2008 5:56 pm
Here's one i made, simply a piece of 3/4" ply, 24"x18" a pedal mounting kit (coupla quid off e-bay) and some cable ties.

It's simple enough, does exactly what it say on the tin, took no time and very little coin to make, i've got some tolex to cover it (if i ever get round to it) i refuse to buy ready made boards because they're too expensive and aren't really customizable
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 10
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/23/2008 7:07 pm
Hey strat-man,

That's pretty much what I had in mind. I just did a search in ebay, and the only seller that makes a mounting kit is in the U.K. But the cost in $US is only about $10.

So you've actually screwed the boxes right into the board? I'm not sure I'd like that, as I'm always fooling with changing my boxes around. But it's food for thought for now.

Thanks for the post and the picture! :::decsions, decsions:::::

# 11
strat-man
strat-man
02/23/2008 7:39 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoHey strat-man,

That's pretty much what I had in mind. I just did a search in ebay, and the only seller that makes a mounting kit is in the U.K. But the cost in $US is only about $10.

So you've actually screwed the boxes right into the board? I'm not sure I'd like that, as I'm always fooling with changing my boxes around. But it's food for thought for now.

Thanks for the post and the picture! :::decsions, decsions:::::

Your welcome, yeah i screwed the pedals down, they have been a couple of changes over time but it was no big issue to swap pedals around, main reason i screwed them down is that i store the board on its end when not in use and i just don't trust velcro to hold them under those conditions, especially with my rather heavy and expensive vox cooltron overdrive, i may have to make another change soon as i'm considering adding another overdrive pedal, DAM GAS!!! :D
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 12
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/23/2008 7:54 pm
Swapping boxes around is an issue for me, as I just got a new amp, and I haven't found the sweet-spot of what pedals go where- a never-ending battle for me, as I find when trying one setup of pedals, something will throw the sound off, then I have to rearrange yet again.

I'll keep you posted.

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.