Peavey Envoy vs. Peavey Bandit- Opinions please

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/17/2008 1:24 pm
Hey all- I'm in the market for a new amp. Originally, I was looking around for a little practice amp for my son, then my interest was piqued when I saw the Peavey Bandit used on a youtube vid. It supposedly emulates a tube amp (both the Envoy and Bandit supposedly do.) The Bandit sounded pretty good even on a YT vid. Anyone with personal experience with either model or bothl? If yes, I'd appreciate your own dislikes/likes if any.

My needs are pretty simple in that I don't need a super high-end amp, play mostly at home. And the rare times I play outside of my apartment, it will be in a studio/place that has amps already there. I'm leaning towards the Envoy because 40 watts is plenty. My priorities are: sounds like a tube, relatively small. I have plenty of pedals for different sounds, so built in effects aren't a major priority. I'm a total idiot when it comes to hardware, I just know what I like when I come across it. I've managed well with a Fender Champ for over 30 yrs. and now play mostly through a Micro Cube- but I want a tube sound- cheap, of course, if possible!

Thanks in advance!

PS- I don't know if Guitar Center is international, but here in the US, there's a big President's Day sale going on. Check the prices against the prices against samedaymusic.com- you'll find comparable prices, or even cheaper. I've bought from them before, and, because they ship from NJ I literally get what I order the very next day, while not having to pay NY taxes. It's almost pointless test driving anything at GC on weekends/sale weekends because you have a wall of sound around you. I'm used to "buying blind", and have been pretty lucky.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 1
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/17/2008 2:30 pm
Hi Silimtao,
I owned a peavey bandit in the early 80's and it had a great sound.....the newer ones seem to sound even more tubelike (based on the youtube video)......Not so long ago I played a job with a fella who used one.....sounded very good.
Doug
# 2
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/17/2008 2:56 pm
Originally Posted by: drf46Hi Silimtao,
I owned a peavey bandit in the early 80's and it had a great sound.....the newer ones seem to sound even more tubelike (based on the youtube video)......Not so long ago I played a job with a fella who used one.....sounded very good.
Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for responding. Now that I think of it, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the Bandit- 80 watts is more than I need. You think the Envoy is like a 40 version of the Bandit? Thanks again.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 3
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/17/2008 3:04 pm
And does anyone know what the heck "simulated speaker out" means??

Here's the specs to the Envoy from samedaymusic:

Features:
40 Watts (rms)

10 in. Blue MarvelĀ® speaker

High and Low Gain inputs

TransTube tube emulation circuitry

Footswichable Clean and Lead channels

3-band passive EQ on each channel

3-position EQ/Gain Voicing switch on each channel

Reverb with level control

Footswitchable Boost with level control

1/4 in. stereo Speaker Simulated Direct Out jack<--what's this mean?

Headphone jack

# 4
strat-man
strat-man
02/17/2008 5:44 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoAnd does anyone know what the heck "simulated speaker out" means??

1/4 in. stereo Speaker Simulated Direct Out jack<--what's this mean?

It means that the amp will still sound like it's running through a speaker cabinet if you plug it directly into a sound console/mixing desk.
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 5
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/17/2008 6:05 pm
Originally Posted by: strat-manIt means that the amp will still sound like it's running through a speaker cabinet if you plug it directly into a sound console/mixing desk.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up :)

# 6
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/17/2008 6:06 pm
Hi Silimtao,
Given what you want to use the amp for: I think 40 watts will be all you need.
They both incorporate peaveys' transtube technology so the tone of both amps should be the same.
Doug
# 7
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/17/2008 6:11 pm
Originally Posted by: drf46Hi Silimtao,
Given what you want to use the amp for: I think 40 watts will be all you need.
They both incorporate peaveys' transtube technology so the tone of both amps should be the same.
Doug

Hello again Doug,

Yeah, I've pretty much come to that conclusion. And 40 watts is plenty of juice for my needs. I appreciate your input. Thanks!

# 8
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/17/2008 6:14 pm
You are very welcome Silimtao. Take care.
Doug
# 9
strat-man
strat-man
02/17/2008 6:48 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoAh, thanks for clearing that up :)

Your welcome :)
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 10
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/18/2008 9:13 pm
Was up early, checked the samedaymusic site for any deals, and there was a "warehouse resealed" amp for $215, so I took that- the last one. Normally goes for $239- I've dealt with sameday before, and I'm sure it will be in good condition; probabaly just a customer return. I also got a daisy chain patch cable to link 5 pedals for $10, and a daisy chain power cable for $8- a total of $233- not a bad all around deal, huh? Probably will be delivered to my office by t'mmw, as they have a warehouse in New Jersey, and I'm in New York. First time I ordered from them, it was a guitar- when I opened my front door, I just found a big box standing there- sheesh, this is NY, anyone could have just walked away with it.

Anyway, looking forward to receiving it, and thank for the input guys! :)

# 11
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/21/2008 3:43 am
Hey guys- I received the Envoy as expected at my office before 11:30 am! But I've come down with a massive cold, and haven't really been able to play with it much. But so far, I like what I hear, and this thing is LOUD. With my master volume on my Strat set to 2, I still have to have the master volume on the amp set to less than 3! I have to get the hang of the various settings, but it does have a tube like sound. I just have to find the sweet spot of the sound I want. It sounds really good with the Behringer tube overdrive pedal. Actually, that's how I discovered this amp. On youtube, this Australian guy was demonstrating the overdrive pedal, and he was playing a Bandit. Then, when I cranked the volume up a bit, on a different setting, I was getting some hiss. My noise-gate fixed that. Well, I'm happy so far, maybe I'll do a review when I figure out what's what. Thanks again for the input.

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.