How old is too old?

dimin
dimin
02/11/2008 9:57 pm
Hello fellow guitar enthusiasts. I am 68 years old and have wanted to play guitar all of my life. I have tried off and on for most of my young adult and adult life and for reason or reasons unknown, I just couldn't do it. The one thing I want to accomplish before I depart this planet is to play this instrument. I have no aspirations to be an Eddie Van Halen or his equivalant, I just want to be able to sit down with the family at Christmas and maybe pick out a few Christmas songs or on the back porch during one of those long summer nights. I don't know if the problem is lack of co-ordination, rythym, understanding, technique or just plain talent, but I am and always have been desperate to learn. Does anyone think there is any hope for a 68 year old man to learn at this stage of the game or should I just hang it up and go on to another dream? Don't hold back, I'm a tough old bird! :p
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/11/2008 9:59 pm
Good golly, yes. You could definitely learn. Guitar isn't one of those things that has an age limit...if you practice, you can do it. :)
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/11/2008 10:33 pm
I'm with Buck. No such thing as an age limit to learning. If there is, I'm in serious trouble! :) If you approach with a desire to learn, the discipline to practice and a love of the music, you will do it. No doubts. None.

You're in the right place too. Lots of great lessons and a ton of terrific people who will answer any and all questions.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3
fredhe12
Noob Hack
fredhe12
Noob Hack
02/11/2008 11:33 pm
Good for you! I say this is a perfect time for you to learn - you're committed to it and that's all that matters!

I bet you'll be able to pick out more than a few Christmas songs by the end of the year.

Shoot, here's Jingle Bells to knock that one off your list! :D

Go get 'em!
# 4
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/12/2008 3:29 am
Hello, and welcome to this great forum, dimin!

The fact that you have found this site already shows some commitment. Having just turned 50 myself, I can say...you're only as old as you feel! And I still feel like a teenager (and often act like one to the dismay of my kids- but their friends think I'm cool, lol).

I'm teaching my son how to play the guitar, and just became a full subscription member. I can tell you after a quick glance at the video lessons available to the raw beginner to the advanced, there's much to be offered here. Maybe you should try the free video lessons first.

You'll find a lot of help and support here. So, to answer your question: I'd say you're probably 40 years TOO YOUNG to start playing.

I'll be very disappointed not to see you posting here- whether it be your progress, or questions. The members here are friendly, dedicated, and helpful. No question is too "stupid", so never be afraid to ask! ROCK ON!
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 5
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2008 3:40 am
Welcome to guitartricks. You can learn to play guitar and probably have a great time doing it. All the best to you.
Doug
# 6
spychocyco
spychocyco
02/12/2008 7:39 am
No such thing as too old. Welcome aboard.

I came in a month or so ago looking for pretty much the same things you did. My rock star dreams are behind me, and I know I'll never be a vituoso. I'd just like to be able to hold my own in a jam session with some other amateurs or not be ashamed to crank up my amp in a music store. Most importantly, I want to be able to continue to entertain my 3-year-old, who thinks it's the coolest thing ever when Dad plays the Elmo's World theme and who likes to sing along to "Train, Train" (long story) and maybe be able to teach him a few things when he gets older.

So far, I consider this site one of the better investments that I've made as far as music goes.
http://spychocyco.blogspot.com
http://www.teethofthedivine.com
# 7
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
02/12/2008 8:36 am
You're only too old if you think you are. It's as simple as that.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 8
strat-man
strat-man
02/12/2008 6:20 pm
Welcome to the boards dimin :)

NEVER too old my friend, you go for it, good luck and have fun! :)
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 9
Chris Martins
Chris Martins
02/13/2008 11:33 pm
Never too late to start !!! Welcome to the club !
Free video reveals #1 secret to mastering the guitar : www.masterguitarplaying.com
# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/14/2008 1:54 am
Nothing cooler than a 70 year old ripping away at some Van Halen tapping riffs. Hell... just learn a few impressive sounding riffs and tricks from various sections of this site, whip out out a guitar and shred away for a few minutes while some young whipersnappers are watching. Then put the guitar down and act like nothing happened.

When the young guy saunters over to try and catch a glimpse of what you're doing... just pretend nothing happened and walk away.

I used to pull that stuff when I was managing a music store.
You'd get these young guys acting all high and mighty about buying a new guitar. So I'd pick up a guitar for the guy, plug it in...rip away with a bunch of two handed tapping stuff... then hand the guitar over and calmly say "..Here ya go".... and watch his friend laugh and say " snicker...Yeah... there ya go...Do that! "
# 11
Glimmer Twin
Glimmer Twin
02/14/2008 4:49 am
Dimin: Just hold tight to your dreams ! Guitar is one of the most beautiful ways to just get lost in it all. I started playing after my younger brother took it up. Seeing him play made me feel jealous, and I thought, if he can do it, then so can I ! I beat him to a road bike though ! I got a Harley road king a few years back, and he just recently got his Honda ! So there ! But back on topic, I just last week started playing with my first band on another site called musican forest.... Check it out, maybe it'll be something for you down the road ! Happy Jammin ! :cool:
# 12
looneytunes
looneytunes
02/14/2008 12:05 pm
It's really very simple. How old will you be next year at this time, if you start learning to play the guitar today? How old will you be next year at this time, if you don't start?

As long as you are physically able, there is no reason not to start today. Being an arthritis suffer and now at age 58, I know how difficult it is make those old fingers do what you want and when you want it. But like you said, you aren't looking to be a professional; you just want to have some fun. Doc Waston is 85 and Charlie Daniels (guitar & fiddle) is 71. Like many of the older pros they are still playing and entertaining.

I know how it is, always dreaming about doing something and never doing it. There is always some reason not to. Usually it is to provide for someone else. Well, you are all out of reasons. There is no reason for you not to start playing today. Heck, you can learn a few chords within the hour!

Good luck! Just start and keep it up. Remember we are all pulling for you. Let's hear you play "Jingle Bell Rock" by CHRISTmas. The tabs and lyrics are available on the web.

GB!
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/15/2008 6:14 pm
Yeah, the hands aren't as quick as they used to be, but they still work. If you want it bad enough to do the necessary work, you can do it.

I started when I was 16. Practiced ridiculous amounts of time, often to the exclusion of anything else. I used to be pretty good. I'm 55 now, and it takes a while to knock the rust off before the good stuff comes out, but it's still there. I play because it's something I have to do. Life just sucks if I can't rock out once in a while.

So go for it. You'll either spend the rest of your life playin' guitar, or you'll spend the rest of your life wishing you could.

Your choice.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
kawasakiking
kawasakiking
02/16/2008 4:01 am
Originally Posted by: diminHello fellow guitar enthusiasts. I am 68 years old and have wanted to play guitar all of my life. I have tried off and on for most of my young adult and adult life and for reason or reasons unknown, I just couldn't do it. The one thing I want to accomplish before I depart this planet is to play this instrument. I have no aspirations to be an Eddie Van Halen or his equivalant, I just want to be able to sit down with the family at Christmas and maybe pick out a few Christmas songs or on the back porch during one of those long summer nights. I don't know if the problem is lack of co-ordination, rythym, understanding, technique or just plain talent, but I am and always have been desperate to learn. Does anyone think there is any hope for a 68 year old man to learn at this stage of the game or should I just hang it up and go on to another dream? Don't hold back, I'm a tough old bird! :p
Me too!! Hi Dimin, Let me tell you, the day you tell yourself I can't, buy a shovel and start diggin!
remember as a baby, you started breathing all by yourself, then walking, okay you fell over a few times but you made it. Thats just the beginning you havn't stopped learning, you just gotta carry on now, its just another skill you have to learn. I'm just a few years behind you and last year I finally took my motorcycle test and passed 1st time, guess where I'll be next year. well yes I'll be practiceing on the guitar but I will also be jumping out of a perfectly serviceable airplane to try Skydiving!! You should know I'm terrified of heights but I just don't want to reach 80 and have to say God I wish I had done that when I was younger!! same goes for the guitar,but everyone is right that whatever you do you need to practice to become good. A lot of people say they do not have time, I used to be one of them but now I get up half an hour earlier in the morning to practice my scales and finger excercises on the guitar. Instead of watching TV at night, I try to aim for at least an hour to two hours practiceing finger excercises and licks. But please hang in there remember all the great guitarists were once at the same stage as we are now and the difference between winners and quitters is this; WINNERS NEVER QUIT............ QUITTERS NEVER WIN!
"Old Guys Rule" :)
# 15
kawasakiking
kawasakiking
02/16/2008 4:10 am
Me too!! Hi Dimin, Let me tell you, the day you tell yourself I can't, buy a shovel and start diggin!
remember as a baby, you started breathing all by yourself, then walking, okay you fell over a few times but you made it. Thats just the beginning you havn't stopped learning, you just gotta carry on now, its just another skill you have to learn. I'm just a few years behind you and last year I finally took my motorcycle test and passed 1st time, guess where I'll be next year. well yes I'll be practiceing on the guitar but I will also be jumping out of a perfectly serviceable airplane to try Skydiving!! You should know I'm terrified of heights but I just don't want to reach 80 and have to say God I wish I had done that when I was younger!! same goes for the guitar,but everyone is right that whatever you do you need to practice to become good. A lot of people say they do not have time, I used to be one of them but now I get up half an hour earlier in the morning to practice my scales and finger excercises on the guitar. Instead of watching TV at night, I try to aim for at least an hour to two hours practiceing finger excercises and licks. But please hang in there remember all the great guitarists were once at the same stage as we are now and the difference between winners and quitters is this; WINNERS NEVER QUIT............ QUITTERS NEVER WIN!
"Old Guys Rule" :)
# 16
john street
john street
02/16/2008 7:51 pm
howdy all..i'm new to this site but kinda been messin around with a guitar for a few years. But I found a ibanez hollow body and had to have it..So now i really want to learn more.. So greetings all from TEXAS :)
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.