Practice

spychocyco
spychocyco
01/22/2008 8:53 am
OK. It feels a little weird to be asking this question after I've been playing as long as I have, but I'm looking for some pointers on how to practice. What I mean by that is how to practice to really improve.

Without going into the same territory my novel length introduction covered, I've been playing about 20 years and am essentially self-taught. Not surprisingly, I hit a plateau a long time ago and haven't really improved since. Having never had any formal training, there's a lot, even some very basic stuff, that I don't know. (I practiced scales for the first time ever two nights ago. :eek: ) My idea of a practice session to this point has been grabbing my guitar and playing whatever. About the heaviest lifting I've done in the last 10 years or so is working over and over on a part of a song I'm trying to pick up that I'm having trouble with.

So I've started working with some of the exercises available here, but I find I'm at a loss how to really approach practice. For example, tonight I was working on one of Benoit's exercises. After about 20 minutes, I reached the point where I could run the exercise perfectly every time. So the question that I have now is, how do I use that when I sit down to practice tomorrow? Do I still work with that exercise some. Since I've nailed it, do I move on to the next one and leave it behind?

It seems a little silly, but I'm really looking for some guidance on this. Thanks.
http://spychocyco.blogspot.com
http://www.teethofthedivine.com
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/22/2008 9:40 am
The way I look at it is to use things like scales and other forms of practice as ways of opening up your mind to new methods of getting around the fretboard.
Kinda hard to explain, but when I first learned the 3 note per string scales, I learned them not just forward but also starting with an upstroke and doing the scale in the opposite way, or starting in the middle and working my way up the neck on just the middle 3 or 4 strings.
After many months of this it still felt like I hadn't progressed any, until I started writing and playing new songs. Then suddenly this new information was just there.

Don't know what to suggest moving on to next but try the 3 note per string scales if you don't know them yet.

http://guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=28

... and like I said, learn them backwards, forwards and sideways until they just come to you subconsciously. A couple of months from now, you'll start using them and it'll just come naturally. (always feel free to practice other stuff at the same time too... especially things like cleaning up your playing and learning how to properly do muting and all the other techniques like bends and slides etc. )

One thing I always advise students to do as well, is come up with a 5 minute piece that illustrates your best playing. Something original that showcases all your best talents. Play it several times a day until you can practically do it in your sleep. Then the next time somebody wants to hear you play something, just whip out your showcase piece.
As you progress over the years, keep adding new stuff to your showcase and keep improving on it. Just keep playing it until you don't even need to think about it anymore.
# 2

01/22/2008 12:17 pm
Hello spy,

Hanspeter made a good lesson discussion practice. I'm sure this will add to what Kevin just suggested.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9745

When I work on a specific exercise and I'm able to play perfectly, I move on to another for the few days. After a couple of practice session without practicing that exercise I go back to it and see how I'm doing. Sometimes your able to nail it right away, sometimes you realize you have to work on it a bit more. Going back and forth like that using 2-3 key exercises (like the 3 notes per string Kevin suggest) will help you burn them into your mind.

There are some things I used to play when I started playing guitar that I can still recall 16 years later. Usually it's because I've practiced them on and off over the years.
# 3
michaelferris
michaelferris
01/26/2008 12:00 pm
Practicing on the guitar should not even be looked at in such a complicated manner, especially when practicing technique. There are lots of exercises and a lot of things you can do to get better, yet there is so much, it would be impossible to practice it all in one day. So, the question? What do you start with first? The first thing that you have to realize is that all of these technique exercises are just ideas to practice what should be the main goal on the guitar, namely to do just about anything on it... So even moving a finger from one string to the next is considered practicing technique. (My teacher always told me, technique is the distance between two points. Playing the guitar is simple, just arrive in the most efficient manner from point A to point B)
Yet, if you really would like to practice efficiently, try to do exercises that are not just repetitive and boring, try to train your mind as well, trying to say the notes as you play them, or the chords.
Personally, I would do a technical exercise until I have mastered it and move on to another. Of course, this process can never end. Not only are there a million combinations of movements on the guitar that can be practiced, but also reviewed. That is what makes the guitar so challenging. Just pick out something, play it till you can do it and pick something else out. But don't forget, learn little by little, and don't forget to have fun doing it!!
# 4
Chris Martins
Chris Martins
02/05/2008 10:29 am
Hi !

try to make a practice plan for the whole week or so, and stick to it. Use chord changes and chromatic exercises as warm-up, then scales ( start with pentatonic and major "3 notes per string" scale in root position i.e root note under index finger). Arpeggios come next. pick two shapes ( 1 major, 1 minor ) and play them over and over for the whole week. Use whatever technique you want to work on primarily ( alternate picking, sweeping, economy...) . Also ALWAYS use a metronome for everything and learn how to subdivide the beat and be very accurate about that. Then learn some theory and harmony, and work on a written piece... All of that should keep you pretty busy but really help you break through that plateau. Also stay relaxed through all the process. If any point you tense up, not good. You might want to consider taking some lessons with an excellent teacher in your area. Select the teacher carefully.

Hope that helps. :)
Free video reveals #1 secret to mastering the guitar : www.masterguitarplaying.com
# 5
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/19/2008 4:13 am
Originally Posted by: spychocycoSo the question that I have now is, how do I use that when I sit down to practice tomorrow? Do I still work with that exercise some. Since I've nailed it, do I move on to the next one and leave it behind?

It seems a little silly, but I'm really looking for some guidance on this. Thanks.

Hi, Spy,

I'm in the same boat you're in. I'm mostly self-taught, and came back to playing after a more than 10 yr. layoff.

One, I'd say you don't really "leave it behind"- you're going to carry it with you and build on it, ideally.

For example, I discovered a site yesterday devoted to SRV, and the instructor was instructing Rude Mood. I kinda know how to play it, so after watching the vid, I just kinda started jamming with the structure of the guitar part, and started making it my own, know what I mean? I was building on the basic I IV V progression (it is I IV V, isn't it?), not overtly trying to sound like SRV, and was just letting me fingers fly.

Set goals- find yourself repeating the same patterns? Try it backwards, in different positions, different fingering. Challenge yourself.

Slowly, I'm hearing music in my head again- something I used to have all the time. I practice in my head, when not holding the guitar. Then I see if I can duplicate what I've heard on a real guitar.

In many ways, I feel like a cold beginner. I still have most of my picking chops, but now my goal is to express what I'm feeling/hearing in my head.

When I feel really bored with an exercise, I'll go off on a real tangent, like playing (or trying to) Greensleeves; I found the music on youtube. My point is keep moving. If you're bored, imo, you'll really not get anywhere at that point in time. So do something else that's new to become unbored!

That's my 2 cents for what's it's worth. Hope it makes some sense. Believe me, I really empathize with how you're feeling. Guess the biggest difference between you and me, is that I'm coming off a big break, so I'm all over the place. I've been learning SRV's Lenny, and I'm not even a huge fan of his. It's just that it's different, and I find that tune really pretty. I'm working on Howe's Clap also (for the 30th+ yr :eek: )- totally different style, both in genre and picking technique. As someone else said, have fun. I'm having a blast right now. As a new full access member, after getting "bored" with messing around with Rude Mood, I checked out Dr...Marco(?)- he was doing some simple blues riffs. After nailing that down, I ran the riff and then some. I didn't leave it behind, I took it with me. Then I went back to Rude Mood using some of those riffs. Even my kids were impressed! My 9 yr. old said, "yo, dad- that doesn't sound like that song, but it still sounds cool." Talk about music to your ears! Kids are harsh critics, especially your own, who take for granted your noodling around all the time. But to get a response...wow!

And I like reading the posts, like yours. They make me put myself in your shoes, and that helps me.

And the most important part of my practicing- I stop thinking and just play. I don't want to go all Zen on ya, but that's when I feel the best, not thinking, just playing.

Silly? Not at all.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 6
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/21/2008 3:48 am
Just like working out, you sometimes need to take a break to recover. If you feel you've really hit a wall, maybe you need some time off?

After a week or so, maybe you'll come back refreshed. Just a thought.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 7
Silimtao
Silimtao
02/21/2008 3:59 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin Taylor
http://guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=28

Really nice refresher course for me, Kevin!

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.