View post (Practice)

View thread

Silimtao
Silimtao
02/19/2008 4:13 am
Originally Posted by: spychocycoSo the question that I have now is, how do I use that when I sit down to practice tomorrow? Do I still work with that exercise some. Since I've nailed it, do I move on to the next one and leave it behind?

It seems a little silly, but I'm really looking for some guidance on this. Thanks.

Hi, Spy,

I'm in the same boat you're in. I'm mostly self-taught, and came back to playing after a more than 10 yr. layoff.

One, I'd say you don't really "leave it behind"- you're going to carry it with you and build on it, ideally.

For example, I discovered a site yesterday devoted to SRV, and the instructor was instructing Rude Mood. I kinda know how to play it, so after watching the vid, I just kinda started jamming with the structure of the guitar part, and started making it my own, know what I mean? I was building on the basic I IV V progression (it is I IV V, isn't it?), not overtly trying to sound like SRV, and was just letting me fingers fly.

Set goals- find yourself repeating the same patterns? Try it backwards, in different positions, different fingering. Challenge yourself.

Slowly, I'm hearing music in my head again- something I used to have all the time. I practice in my head, when not holding the guitar. Then I see if I can duplicate what I've heard on a real guitar.

In many ways, I feel like a cold beginner. I still have most of my picking chops, but now my goal is to express what I'm feeling/hearing in my head.

When I feel really bored with an exercise, I'll go off on a real tangent, like playing (or trying to) Greensleeves; I found the music on youtube. My point is keep moving. If you're bored, imo, you'll really not get anywhere at that point in time. So do something else that's new to become unbored!

That's my 2 cents for what's it's worth. Hope it makes some sense. Believe me, I really empathize with how you're feeling. Guess the biggest difference between you and me, is that I'm coming off a big break, so I'm all over the place. I've been learning SRV's Lenny, and I'm not even a huge fan of his. It's just that it's different, and I find that tune really pretty. I'm working on Howe's Clap also (for the 30th+ yr :eek: )- totally different style, both in genre and picking technique. As someone else said, have fun. I'm having a blast right now. As a new full access member, after getting "bored" with messing around with Rude Mood, I checked out Dr...Marco(?)- he was doing some simple blues riffs. After nailing that down, I ran the riff and then some. I didn't leave it behind, I took it with me. Then I went back to Rude Mood using some of those riffs. Even my kids were impressed! My 9 yr. old said, "yo, dad- that doesn't sound like that song, but it still sounds cool." Talk about music to your ears! Kids are harsh critics, especially your own, who take for granted your noodling around all the time. But to get a response...wow!

And I like reading the posts, like yours. They make me put myself in your shoes, and that helps me.

And the most important part of my practicing- I stop thinking and just play. I don't want to go all Zen on ya, but that's when I feel the best, not thinking, just playing.

Silly? Not at all.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)