heavy metal lyrics?

oib111
oib111
01/09/2008 11:28 pm
Well, I have some pretty good heavy metal songs, that I actually like(I'm not a big heavy metal fan), but I don't know how to write lyrics. Cuz well, heavy metal lyrics are just so, idk, I also don't have a heavy metal voice, like SOAD, or Avenged Sevenfold, Metalica, and stuff like that, so I don't really know how to sing it or write for it. Any suggestions?
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
01/10/2008 5:04 am
If you want to write a typical metal song, mention blood and demons and stuff like that a lot.

I would be more interested to hear a metal song with lyrics that were kind of....about something. I don't really dislike the music aspect of metal, but the lyrics are just so...dumb. In fact, the only metal band I can stand for extended periods of time is Rammstein, and I think a large part of that has to do with the fact I have no idea what they're singing about, as they are German.

No offense meant to metal people, that's just my opinion on the matter. There are more than a few metalheads around on here who I'm sure would be willing to show you the ropes.
# 2
oib111
oib111
01/10/2008 3:01 pm
Metallica has some awesome stuff, and I think it means stuff :P
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
01/10/2008 7:53 pm
Yeah, it's not all crap. I'd still try and steer clear from the whole mythology/horror thing, though.
# 4
quickfingers
quickfingers
01/10/2008 11:34 pm
the thing about metal is that the more underground you dig, the worse the arrangements tend to be. i love metal but hate alot of "metalhead" metal, such as eyehategod and municipal waste and all that stuff.

that "epic" style of lyrics usually belongs to what we would call "viking metal", which is personally one of my favorites. amon amarth, malmsteen, morgion and even iron maiden could fit this category.

try listening to a band called Forest of shadows; it is an excellent display of down-tempo metal that you might not be familiar with. this style has more of an ability to put depth into lyrics, rather than the blast-beat style of napalm death or whatever.

ultimately your lyrics will sound corny if you try to put them into a genre before making them. if you say to yourself "i'm gonna write a metal song with some metal lyrics" you're automatically putting your creativity into a corner. start broader.

metal is one of those genres that you truly have to be a metal-minded person to do well in. i am a writer myself and i write lyrics for all kinds of styles of music, but i don't do well in the metal category because i'm not of that mindset. i could try to write "metal lyrics" but it probably wouldn't earn my seal of approval.

nonsense short, you need to be able to write what you feel comfortable writing, and the feelings will flow (eventually). to write good metal tunes, you might need to be in a certain state of mind to do so, etc. work on writing lyrics you are best at, and branch off from there. writing is just like playing an instrument, and it takes time and effort to become better at. try getting a leg-up on the competition by paying attention in english class ;)
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 5
matt743
matt743
01/11/2008 1:29 am
it dosent matter how much blood or violence or demons
cuz thats called satanic you need to write about all the bad thing in life and there you go trust me i write lyrics ;)
they call us the dead generation
# 6
looneytunes
looneytunes
01/11/2008 1:05 pm
You mean heavy metal can't be about good things in life?
Like waking up or having shoes or having feet.
How sad. Hey, maybe you can write about that! :)
# 7
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
01/11/2008 4:54 pm
Originally Posted by: looneytunesYou mean heavy metal can't be about good things in life?
SEX SEX SEX is always good. :D
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 8
earthman buck
earthman buck
01/11/2008 5:07 pm
Originally Posted by: looneytunesYou mean heavy metal can't be about good things in life?

Lmao, a metal song about how great it is to have feet. I love that.
# 9
Drew77
Drew77
01/11/2008 7:02 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckLmao, a metal song about how great it is to have feet. I love that.

the metal song would have to be about how you have no feet, because they were chopped off and then you make metal feet and kill a bunch of people with them (probably starting with the people who cut your original feet off).

So the song would actually be about how great it is to have metal feet.

Plus Looney, no metal can not be about "happy" things. That totally wouldn't be hard core, it could be happy as long as its hardcore but there probably aren't any hardcore things most people would think are happy. If you like setting public buildings and churches on fire then you could probably write a happy metal song, I mean if that makes you happy.

but to the original poster. Just write whatever. I wrote a death metal song sometime last year, it was about vikings that eat psychedelic mushrooms and then build things and kill people. I wrote it cause apparently they actually did that sometimes and I thought it was awesome.

You can write them about anything as long as they are hardcore, like you could write a song about walking to school but then you would have to make it super metal. Like you were walking to school and your friend got hit by a car, and when the driver got out you tried to kill him for killing your friend but it turns out he's demon and he kills you and takes your soul to hell.

Or you can just write really simple lyrics just describing something and then scream them in a cookie monster voice that would be pretty metal as long as people only understand parts of it.

I mean thats all 99% of metal lyrics are are just really simple lyrics with no real depth, they just describe things or basically just tell a linear story. Its the way their sung and the things they're about that make them metal.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.