View post (heavy metal lyrics?)

View thread

quickfingers
quickfingers
01/10/2008 11:34 pm
the thing about metal is that the more underground you dig, the worse the arrangements tend to be. i love metal but hate alot of "metalhead" metal, such as eyehategod and municipal waste and all that stuff.

that "epic" style of lyrics usually belongs to what we would call "viking metal", which is personally one of my favorites. amon amarth, malmsteen, morgion and even iron maiden could fit this category.

try listening to a band called Forest of shadows; it is an excellent display of down-tempo metal that you might not be familiar with. this style has more of an ability to put depth into lyrics, rather than the blast-beat style of napalm death or whatever.

ultimately your lyrics will sound corny if you try to put them into a genre before making them. if you say to yourself "i'm gonna write a metal song with some metal lyrics" you're automatically putting your creativity into a corner. start broader.

metal is one of those genres that you truly have to be a metal-minded person to do well in. i am a writer myself and i write lyrics for all kinds of styles of music, but i don't do well in the metal category because i'm not of that mindset. i could try to write "metal lyrics" but it probably wouldn't earn my seal of approval.

nonsense short, you need to be able to write what you feel comfortable writing, and the feelings will flow (eventually). to write good metal tunes, you might need to be in a certain state of mind to do so, etc. work on writing lyrics you are best at, and branch off from there. writing is just like playing an instrument, and it takes time and effort to become better at. try getting a leg-up on the competition by paying attention in english class ;)
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE