Is this site a scam?

ShootaMcgavin
ShootaMcgavin
11/06/2007 1:28 am
Can i actually learn something from this site?
What are the video lessons like? Do they play something and then you look at a tab, or do the instructors talk to you and tell you what to do step by step?

I need someone to convince me that guitartricks is useful so i can sign up.
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
11/06/2007 2:41 am
Only you can convince yourself if GT is worth it to you. The fact that we have over 600,000 folks here should tell you something. Check out the free lessons. See what you think. If you're asking for testimonials, well, I've learned more from GT than from anything else. Period. Exceptional instructors, great lessons and a sense of community unlike any place else around.

I hope you'll stick around but if not, good luck to you.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/06/2007 6:49 am
Depends on the person man. Especially with learning guitar you find different things work for different people. I learned great from the site myself. been here going on a long time. I still learn new things. however some people would find this way of learning not to be their thing. the only thing I can recommend is checking it out for a month and seeing if you like it. The vids are clean and different instructors do different things. Most of them talk to you and such. Each has their own way.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/06/2007 12:28 pm
Not everyone who posts in the forum is a full member but that's often due to their level of experience - if I was a starting out from scratch I would definitely join as a paying member for the lessons. If I had a resource like this available when I started playing years back I would be frickin Yngwie Malmsteen by now!
A lot of the instructors post in the forum and they DO know their stuff, not just a bunch of theory and patterns but the actual mechanics of style and composition.
Read through the fourm and you will find a lot of information, ask a few questions and you should get quality answers - this should give you an idea that the guys that post here are either learning a lot or already know a lot. That should help seal the deal and convince you to sign up. In my day it was either pay big money for an instructor that probably didn't play the type of music you liked or go it alone and learn by ear.
Here you get a large choice of instructors and styles that cater to all levels from absolute beginner to professional shredder.
Take the plunge and fast track your playing.

BTW this site is certainly NOT a scam.
# 4
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
11/06/2007 10:13 pm
im not sure if you will learn anything but i sure have and id recommend this site to anyone now if you will learn anything from this site i think thats more of a personal thing.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
-- Jimi Hendrix
# 5
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/07/2007 3:24 pm
If you mean by "Scam" that this site is out to make money, then yes. As every site is. That's the American Way! Capitalism is what makes this country great. It's what gives you the drive to succeed in life.

If you mean are you getting your moneys worth from this site, then all I can say is that is up to you. If you practice and really get into it, you will learn.

I personally don't think any website can teach you to play the guitar. I think a personal instructor is the only way to go. That's if he is any good. If he's not, you can always change instructors. Their are people out there that are great guitarist, but they can't teach worth a darn.

I think you can learn licks and riffs, how to tune, string, and such from this website. You can get a lot of help with any problems you are having from this website. I think the people on here are great, but is this what you want? You have to decide for yourself.

What are you out if you try and it doesn't work? What are you out if you don't try?
# 6
la'guit
la'guit
11/07/2007 4:43 pm
the term "is this a scam?" maybe considered as offensive. And even tho not being a subscriber its well worth the money and will be looking into this on later days.
Jake, The fender king :cool:
# 7
ics1974
ics1974
11/07/2007 5:21 pm
It's well worth $11 a month.
# 8
earthman buck
earthman buck
11/07/2007 5:21 pm
I would just like to point out the silliness of posting "Is this site a scam?" on any given site.

No, it's not a scam.

But then, if it were, what would you expect to hear?
# 9
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
11/07/2007 6:30 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckI would just like to point out the silliness of posting "Is this site a scam?" on any given site.

No, it's not a scam.

But then, if it were, what would you expect to hear?

I agree though that choice of the word "scam" was a little off the mark. It implies something illegal. Nothing of the sort. With all of the responses, I think you get the idea. We are quite pleased to be here at GT. You can learn if you're willing to put in the work. So in the end, it's up to you to make the decision if this meets your needs.
# 10
ren
ren
11/07/2007 6:54 pm
Nicely put Hunter.... Give it a try for a month, and if you decide it's not for you you can easily cancel again... but I bet you $11 you don't... ;)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 11
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/07/2007 10:56 pm
Originally Posted by: la'guitthe term "is this a scam?" maybe considered as offensive. And even tho not being a subscriber its well worth the money and will be looking into this on later days.

Offensive? To who? How would you ask the question? Is this site a rip-off? Yeah, that sounds much better! Or how about is this site stealing your money? Or is the FBI interested in this site? I guess it would be better not to ask the question at all.

The man asked a straight out and out question. With the scams going on now days, I think the question needed to asked. There is nothing offensive about it. I swear, too many people today are worried about offending someone. They want all of us to change our believes, our actions, how we speak, and everything about us and this country as not to offend someone. It's utterly ridiculous. I find it very offensive! Did you like the word "utterly"? I don't think I ever used that word! Would you believe it? It has nothing to do with a cow. Do you think a cow would find it offensive? Man, I bet the animal rights people are going to go after me now!

I'm just trying to live up to my name. If I had $11, I might sign up. Naw, I wouldn't.

Have a good one!
# 12
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
11/07/2007 11:20 pm
Mr. Toones :) It's not the word, it's the implication that one might find offensive. A lot of people put an awful lot of hard work into this site. If the original poster truly believed this site to be a "scam" then he could have done a little research. He could have pm'd a few members to ask. There are actual lists on the internet where people post when they have been ripped off on line. If you're ever unclear about a site, go and look. To post the question just seems a little "in your face" sort of action. Offensive may be an inaccuracy. But it seems a little peevish and odd.

I liken this to someone being 'scammed" by a telephone con artist and asking him "Are you sure you're not ripping me off?" before giving out his credit card information. What is the expected result?

I like GT and have no problems telling anyone that. Again, in the end, it's up to him to make the call. But whether he thinks he can "learn" from the site or not (his actual question) is a lot different than the meaning of "Is this site a scam?"

And you gotta be careful with the "utterly" comments. PETA and the cow-loving right wing will be coming for you. ;)
# 13
ShootaMcgavin
ShootaMcgavin
11/08/2007 2:18 am
Thanks all, this is way more than i needed to know.
I wasn't trying to be offensive, but there are a lot of scamming sites out there. I appreciate the work done by the instructors, so i'm not attempting to harm anyone.

Thanks all in advance, see ya in the member forums ;)
# 14
dvenetian
dvenetian
11/08/2007 8:51 am
If someone needs or desires some guitar lessons, it's awesome that sites such as this one are available. And reasonable to say the least. It gives the option to learn at your own pace and the convenience of doing it from home. It also offers the option to just use the Forum if you don't want the lessons, However, I don't like to use the statement "For Free", because some sort of contribution is needed for it to continue operating.
The purpose for this forum helps to keep the site running and contributing to it isn't strictly monetary. Contributing knowledge or helping in some form with the members paying for lessons is also necessary because some need questions answered. If answers were not available, many would get discouraged and stop using the lesson program.
As with everything, there are some who don't contribute to either method because it's not possible. Then there's the few that just express their personal opinions and statements about matters having no value at all.
If you desire some lessons, join....
# 15
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/08/2007 11:57 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60Mr. Toones :) [/QUOTE]

Please call me Looney!

[QUOTE=hunter60]And you gotta be careful with the "utterly" comments. PETA and the cow-loving right wing will be coming for you. ;)

You got that right! Don't tell them I'm a hunter!

I don't know, I just don't understand and it's really not that important at least not to me and it has nothing to do with guitar lessons, but I don't see what is so offensive and who is really being offended?

The man wasn't out to hurt anyone and I think we all can agree on that. He was researching. He went straight to the source. He was asking people who are using the site. If someone really thought they were being scammed and was just staying on the site until their month was up, they would probably have told him so. Maybe he could have researched it other places. Maybe he didn't know how to go about it.

The word "scam" shouldn't offend anyone. No word or phrase should offend anyone, unless it was intentionally to hurt them. It's not like classmates in school calling names. We are all adults, well most of us (I never really grew up). It might make scammers mad, because they were found out. No, I just don't see it.

Enough said. I'm movin' on.
# 16
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
11/08/2007 12:05 pm
Agreed Looney - I shouldn't offend but my point was that it might. That's all. 'Nuf said. I'm with you, time to move on. BTW, I too have refused to grow up. Adults are no fun at all. :)
# 17
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/11/2007 2:49 am
And no PETA worries, either. Unlike those cow parts, "utterly" is not spelled with the letter "d" in it. :rolleyes:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 18
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
11/11/2007 4:09 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsAnd no PETA worries, either. Unlike those cow parts, "utterly" is not spelled with the letter "d" in it. :rolleyes:

LOL! Utterly udderly. :D
# 19
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/11/2007 4:39 pm
Originally Posted by: ShootaMcgavinCan i actually learn something from this site?
What are the video lessons like? Do they play something and then you look at a tab, or do the instructors talk to you and tell you what to do step by step?

I need someone to convince me that guitartricks is useful so i can sign up.

For someone named after a movie character from an Adam Sandler film that came out over a decade ago, you sure are incredulous.

"THE PRICE IS WRONG!"
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.