GT Solo Assignment: October '07

Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
10/04/2007 7:17 am
Hi there

Here is the backing track for the solo assignment for October :) You can get it from my purevolume site here:

Julian's purevolume site

Here are the chords for the song:

Verse:

Em11 F#m11/E

Chorus:

Gmaj9#11 A7sus Bm11 A7sus

The scale that works over the whole song is the E dorian minor scale (from the D major scale)

I've also left it pretty open for you guys to add your own rhythm guitar track :) The chords I used in the piano are the quartal voicings found in 'So What' by Miles Davis.
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 1
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/04/2007 10:02 am
I immediately thought of that Joe Satriani song " Cryin' ".. I can easily imagine hearing a beach there with seagulls and stuff as additional ambience to the track. I found my left hand going for the F# Phrygian rather than the E Dorian.. may be I am still stuck in the B Phrygian mindset that I was in for the September Solo.. I did try the E Dorian and it works too. Anyway.. like the first time I listened to the September Solo, I have no actual idea what I am going to do yet. :)
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 2
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
10/04/2007 11:31 pm
Originally Posted by: light487I immediately thought of that Joe Satriani song " Cryin' ".. I can easily imagine hearing a beach there with seagulls and stuff as additional ambience to the track. I found my left hand going for the F# Phrygian rather than the E Dorian.. may be I am still stuck in the B Phrygian mindset that I was in for the September Solo.. I did try the E Dorian and it works too. Anyway.. like the first time I listened to the September Solo, I have no actual idea what I am going to do yet. :)

The F# Phrygian has the same notes as the E dorian. The difference is just a mindset (and what you percieve to be the root) :)

If you want to hear the tune that I basically ripped off to make the BT, just listen to 'Marching Out' by Yngwie Malmsteen. It should give you some solo ideas too (maybe)
# 3
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
10/09/2007 7:10 am
Anyone interested this month? :rolleyes:
# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/09/2007 10:34 am
I am! :) I'm just trying to work out what to do with it.. I think those exotic chords have thrown me.. Gmaj9#11.. eh? :P lol... F#m11/E... eh? :P Also trying to find some thing to spice up the backing track a little as well.. like those sound effects I was talking about.. I could use thunder/lightning effect to give the track a doom/gloom feel to it.. or I could have a nice ocean sound with birds and waves crashing on a beach to make it lighter..

Ok I've been analysing those chords.. that Gmaj9#11.. is that basically a GMaj triad combined with a F#m triad?
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5
seazer
seazer
10/09/2007 2:04 pm
Hi guys,
As he dives in busting through the ice encrusted surface,he resurfaces, turns and screams come on the waters beautiful.

Good job Julian very cruisey piece this month, me likes.I've had this since Sunday and I aint gonna change it . Here she be_ :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=724014
# 6
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/09/2007 2:17 pm
In work at the moment but looking forward to listening to your piece!
# 7
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
10/09/2007 6:56 pm
Originally Posted by: light487I am! :) I'm just trying to work out what to do with it.. I think those exotic chords have thrown me.. Gmaj9#11.. eh? :P lol... F#m11/E... eh? :P Also trying to find some thing to spice up the backing track a little as well.. like those sound effects I was talking about.. I could use thunder/lightning effect to give the track a doom/gloom feel to it.. or I could have a nice ocean sound with birds and waves crashing on a beach to make it lighter..

Ok I've been analysing those chords.. that Gmaj9#11.. is that basically a GMaj triad combined with a F#m triad?

The complex chords shouldn't have to throw you. The Gmaj9#11 is essentially just an extention of the 4th chord in the key of D. Just treat it as a G in the key of D. The F#m11/E is still basically just part of the E dorian scale and the Em7 chord in general, just with emphasis on different notes. If you just play the E dorian over it, you'll sound just fine :)
# 8
dethm3tal
dethm3tal
10/11/2007 3:17 am
Okay guys, I got my track done;

I actually sat down and thought this one through; After playing it for about a week or so I recorded it at my grandpa's house in his home studio. I think that that helped my tone a lot more than my laptop mic would...

Seazer: I checked out your track just now; I liked it quite a bit, you layered the effects really nicely and you played it through pretty well. I thought it was an improvement over last month's track where you were sorta playing repetitively. Overall nice job Seazer.

The song can be found at these two places:

http://www.myspace.com/mkylmanmusic
http://mkylman.dmusic.com/

The song is called October, I hope you enjoy it!

MKylman
# 9
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
10/11/2007 7:36 pm
nice track Julian--- here is mine, flaw free :rolleyes: had a rough start..
trying my Prophesy out Octoberfest
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 10
dethm3tal
dethm3tal
10/11/2007 8:40 pm
Zoso: I see what you meant about a rough start; You really fixed it though, I really liked your rhythm parts over the chorus, they were great! Your playing was really nice too...You really used a lot of the effects to your advantage, I haven't really got any effects though...Nice backwards guitar parts, those were sofa king sweet, I'm not going to lie. Some of your playing was rough in terms of bends but the outro was BEAUTIFUL; Overall I really loved how you built the whole track...*sigh* I've been outdone, crushed...and so soon -_-

MKylman

http://www.myspace.com/mkylmamusic
http://mkylman.dmusic.com

EDIT: What is your setup dude? how long have you played?
# 11
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
10/11/2007 8:47 pm
thank you Deth...may I call you Deth?? you had some very nice runs in your take...yea...I am sloppy as hell, bad timing and note bending flubs :o I just got this effects processor so I went nuts with it...I am getting lessons finally though :D ...
I am playing a 1976 Les Paul Deluxe through a Rocktron Prophesy I....my amp, not used here, is a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier...I have been playing for 20 years but not seriously til the last 4 years..but just now taking lessons<<< they are important---time is not important, it is what you do with it that is...I learned that the hard way with a lotta wasted days and nights...and I mean wasted in more ways than one :(
# 12
dethm3tal
dethm3tal
10/11/2007 9:29 pm
Wow 20 years ^_^

I just got an electric 2.5 years ago ^_^ I've got an Ibanez RG2E-X2 guitar, though in the recording I was using my grandfather's 1960/70 something Guild and a Roland Microcube; We used some sort of condenser mic on the amp and ran it through various compressors and whatnot -_- I just played and I watched him do all the stuff in Cubase. It was a new experience for me, I'm used to recording into my laptop mic through audacity, nothing fancy like his setup ^_^

But yeah I've played electric for two and a half years now, I'm self taught; I know like 3 scales and just play from the root note...I don't really know a whole lot of theory so whenever Julian starts talking about modes and stuff I just get lost ^_^

I didn't think that your playing was sloppy, I mean yeah you goofed up one bend and you had a rocky start, but so what? You had a frickin' wonderful recording, practically took a crap on mine ^_^

Mkylman

P.S. Yes you can call me Deth ^_^
# 13
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
10/11/2007 9:34 pm
Guilds are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! that is one cool Grandpa you got there :D
I play by ear as well...have no idea what I am doing...and it is getting old...thus the lessons :rolleyes: oh I used Tracktion software and a Stealth Plug from the Prophesy to the 'puter
# 14
dethm3tal
dethm3tal
10/11/2007 9:38 pm
I know, he kicks ass! He has like 2 really nice Martins and a Larrivee which he just recently bought; He's like 53 or something; We go over to his house every week or so; did I mention I'm 16? ^_^ But yeah...I hope we get to see some more tracks this month! No one seems to really have looked at this month's that much; Light was talking about it but he's getting a little too sucked up in the theory I think :rolleyes:

His Guild initially had a sunburst finish; He repainted it black...he has regretted that since he ever showed me the guitar ^_^ He also switched the pickup and the tuner knob thingys; The pickup is "vintage" and the guitar is "classic" :confused:

MKylman
# 15
seazer
seazer
10/12/2007 12:47 am
I have listened to tracks so far -deth that was pretty good I thought. I listened a few times only crit is the first note for chorus part it starts very off to my ear maybe thats what you wanted then cool.the other notes were memorable that is the chousus I could hum but first note keeps throwing me.overall playing seemed a lot tighter and in the groove this month. I can hear that you play an Ibanez from your tone in the song I used to play a ibanez 770 wizard neck I did'nt relize what a comfort they were till I been playing modern C strat neck I have really had to slow down and adapt different style with this axe.reminder to self.. must get another Rg.
zoso you got me drooling name dropping all that gear you must be having some fun with it.Your track was interesting enough to keep me wanting to hear more I love those effects your can hear the hardware coming through. I agree with deth The rhythm although was a 2 chord chug added something cool to the vibe and then in comes the rocktron it sounds massive.nice stuff overall for me.
# 16
dethm3tal
dethm3tal
10/12/2007 1:12 am
Yeah the Wizard neck is so comfortable; it seems to play like my grandpa's Guild, which was what I was recording with; A lot of the tone came from the Roland MicroCube I was using and the condenser mic; I was going to use the Ibanez, however I really do notice a lot of tonal similarities between the two...

I'm sort of anxious to hear what you have to bring to the table seazer.

And I second the drooling over z0s0's gear ^_^

MKylman
# 17
seazer
seazer
10/13/2007 5:15 am
sorry deth :o I feel like a total Tone idiot (dont quot me) its there plainly in second line what you used on the track .I googled the ibanez rg2ex2 when I read it and proberbly miss understood you using your grand dads guild ,even though it does sound very rg ish .Yer you are lucky to have someone so close into the guitar scene with you,and the guitar is one thing that will bring down all age barriers.I always wondered if I'd be still into guitar when older for now its yes but I took to long away from the instrument and its good to be playing again though.
# 18
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/13/2007 2:31 pm
Hey!

So I'd almost given up on this month's solo.. 14 days in and I have only just got a groove going.. I've got 2 main themes happening at the moment but everything could easily change by the end.. I'm just happy to have finally found my own groove amongst the song. I even tried getting out my acoustic to play a completely different rhythm section over the top that is in the key of A Major. It works great but I am just using that as a way to hear the groove for myself..

Now I can jam.. and in 2 weeks, hopefully I will have something worthy of uploading.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 19
equator
equator
10/17/2007 12:22 am
Hi guys,
Here is my entry for this month. The whole thing is one take, not equalized yet, and contains some minor mistakes; but I don’t think I’m gonna have the time this month to revisited it. :(

equator

EDIT: I had some time to revisit my take today. I actually re-recorded the entire guitar track, and I am happy with the results so far.
What do you guys think of it?

Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.