Opinions

capn_bill1
capn_bill1
08/29/2007 1:26 pm
I have some material on www.myspace.com/billyazlin. Also, there are links to arkade & soundclick under the artist name 'AZLIN'. I had a Boss BR8, and now have the Tascam DP01FX/CD. I'm just looking for feedback, hints, spikes, daggers, WHATDAHELLEVERRRRRR...
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/29/2007 10:06 pm
Hope you can stand constructive criticism.

First impression....cheezy drum machine.
Second impression... cheezy guitar sound
Third impression--- amateurish

Turned it off after about 30 seconds cause nothing new was happening.

Needs lots of work and production.

The formation of an idea is there but needs lots of work. Sounds more like a demo tape you'd present to a band to work on.
# 2
Drew77
Drew77
08/30/2007 3:55 am
I wouldn't call that "constructive" criticism, of course it could be, just would have been better if you had given some tips on how to improve it.

I agree with him though, not much happening. I'm all for psychedelia but it still needs something to carry it, a riff or melody or something. Lightningbolt is a great example of crazy psychedelic music that is still very interesting. Of course it's totally different from what your trying to do. I'm pretty amazed that the doors or at least morrison aren't in your list of influences.

But like I said, theres nothing new, nothing interesting, it seems like the stuff you have written should be a 15-25 second intro or middle section of a song but not a whole song.

I too couldn't get through a whole song. But thats more of a preference thing I think. But I still think it needs more. Just layering simple guitar noises over simple drums and whatever else was in there isn't doing it. It just doesn't sound like anything new.

Try writing some stuff out of your style. Stuf you like but still stuff out of your style and then experiment with ways of working it into your style.
# 3
LDPGuitarist27
LDPGuitarist27
09/15/2007 5:11 pm
My impression of your songs:
The Drag: a good idea, yes cheesy drums, slightly off tune guitars, and it really does drag.
Just Say No: uh... No. Not my idea of a guitarists song.
Sunshine In Rest: All little more guitar, better quality. I liked it.
Living Dead: The guitars were great, but did you have to put that horrble percussion background in there?

Im no Physcadelic freak, but it wasn't so bad. At least you have variety.
Hvy MtL
# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
09/26/2007 11:09 am
To me it sounded more like you were trying to achieve something like one of those relaxation music things with distorted electric guitar. You do definitely need to add some variety though. Whenever I try to write something, I always make an MP3 of it and put it into my mp3 player to listen to alongside similar music. If I am not liking what I hear from my song, I know I need to change something and after listening to it a fair bit you begin to see which bits need changing. Use your favourite artists songs as a general guideline only and you may hear little things in their songs that make perfect sense to put into your song.. Then you record again and listen some more until you really start to craft the song. By doing all this, you are training yourself to do it more and more quickly each time you write something new as the entire song writing process becomes more and more natural.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5
looneytunes
looneytunes
10/05/2007 6:48 pm
Sorry, but I just don't get it!
I can't say if it is good or bad or how to improve it or even if it needs improving. It made me extremely nervous and I felt like going out and killing something. Is that the reaction you were trying to accomplish, to create an awareness of violence that lies in everyone?

Sorry, I really don't want to cut it down. I just didn't care for it. If you like it, that's all that matters. However, if you want to sell it or get some praise, you may have to listen to what other are saying. If I were you, I would save it and put on the back burner. Start on something new from scratch. Later you may come back to it and work on it some more. Maybe you will change it to please more of an audience.

Good luck on your creations.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.