Pickguard for Ibanez

Krunek
Krunek
08/21/2007 6:04 am
Hey guys. Need some advice here. I would like to put a pickguard on my Ibanez. It"s an RG 370. This serie doesn"t have pickguard. The one after, RG 370 DX, has one. OK, before some smarty says, well, why didn"t you bouht that one then? I didn"t (don"t) have the money. So, I asked the luthier guy
and he saed you can put a pickguard on this one too, but it is a bit of a problem. They weren"t ment to be guitars with pickguard. Says that the pup selector switch is to low (to close to the body) and if you put a pickuard on it, you can"t put in in ending positions. Know what I mean? Ig it has five postions, you can"t put it in position 1 and 5, cause the selector would get stuck into pickuard. Frankly, I think that is a load of **** cause if DX series has pickguard and those are the same guitars... Better pups on DX. That is all. But than again...He IS the luthier...(fairly good one too...) What do you thin, guys? Anyone had some experience with this?
# 1
ren
ren
08/21/2007 8:30 am
Well, look at it - when you have the 5-way switch in position 1 or 5, how far away from the body is it? you'll need approx 1.5mm for a pickguard (depends on what you buy). The switch on your guitar might be different to a DX.

Suggestions:

If you want to go ahead with fitting a pickguard, you could either cut a bit off the bottom of the plastic tip for the pickup selector switch (which will give you more clearance), or you could cut the slot for the switch wider in the pickguard so it doesn't get in the way. You could also buy and solder in a new 5-way switch - I've done this myself and it's pretty easy.

Or,

Make your own pickguard, and use thinner plastic.

Or,

You could sell your guitar, and buy the DX with a pickguard. ;)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
Krunek
Krunek
08/21/2007 9:01 am
Originally Posted by: renWell, look at it - when you have the 5-way switch in position 1 or 5, how far away from the body is it? you'll need approx 1.5mm for a pickguard (depends on what you buy). The switch on your guitar might be different to a DX.

Suggestions:

If you want to go ahead with fitting a pickguard, you could either cut a bit off the bottom of the plastic tip for the pickup selector switch (which will give you more clearance), or you could cut the slot for the switch wider in the pickguard so it doesn't get in the way. You could also buy and solder in a new 5-way switch - I've done this myself and it's pretty easy.

Or,

Make your own pickguard, and use thinner plastic.

Or,

You could sell your guitar, and buy the DX with a pickguard. ;)

Ren, you are THE MAN... ;)
Except for the part when it comes to selling my guitar... Don"t have the money I need to make for the difference in price between a older RG and DX...
I am saving up for a house, soooo...+ tuition for second year of college is coming soon....+ I am writting this down, very very slowly and quietly, cause it is desire deep in my heart...a small, 250 ccm chopper...Yamaha, perhaps....
Soooo...No more investing into guitars. Or amps. Or effect pedals.
As far as the part for the pup selector switch, I was thinking more in the line of buying a pickguard for DX and if it will pose a problem, just cut of the tip of the switch, weld a little bit in the middle to make it a bit longer and weld the top back on. :) I work in a firm that works with metal, it won"t be a problem. What do you think?
# 3
ren
ren
08/21/2007 12:28 pm
Not sure if it would stand up to welding - the metal is very thin. However, the metal part of the switch lever goes all the way up inside the plastic cap so you should be able to slide it up out of the way...

I reckon it'll be OK. Don't cut the switch lever unless you're sure you have to - you might already have enough metal to work with, you'll just need to find a way to hold the tip of the switch in place. The tip just slides off, which is why you see so many people with them missing....

That's an option too - just leave it off... the switch will still work fine...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
08/21/2007 2:54 pm
You could always leave the cap off the switch or buy a short piece of shrink tube and put that on there.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 5
buckethead14
buckethead14
09/15/2007 5:02 pm
i have an rg that has a 3 way pup selector, would it work with mine?
Buckethead
# 6
Krunek
Krunek
09/17/2007 12:00 pm
Originally Posted by: buckethead14i have an rg that has a 3 way pup selector, would it work with mine?

Dunno. Ask the luthier. And let me know, by all means. ;)
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.