Stereotypes...

ren
ren
06/22/2007 1:26 pm
Just something that occurred to me... why do people have to conform to them? I was watching Family Guy - and they had a British guy on who tried to pull an insurance job on a bar. Looking at the way Brits are portrayed got me to thinking...

I like to think I'm not fugly or anything.... but my teeth are a bit bent and crappy... and here I am looking at this cartoon dude with a mouth like a broken fence thinking.... 'heh.... can't really argue'....

My ex was jewish, and ridiculously tight with money...

you get the picture. Not posting this as an invitation to mock (hence pointing it at myself), but I guess it really is funny because it's true...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
06/22/2007 1:43 pm
Well, I think that's the thing about stereotypes... they're rooted in some truth. The problem comes into play whenever those characteristics are blindly applied to entire subsets of the population.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/22/2007 2:42 pm
Sure. Stereotypes are rooted in some level of truth albeit often-times miniscule. And they can be funny. Unless they are used to denigrate or used to be hurtful. Like we Americans are often seen as uber-violent amd reckless cowboys and that's ...well...er...umm...true? :o
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
06/22/2007 5:27 pm
I hear what you mean. It's funny...I don't fit the farmer teenager stereotype. Im a dedicated musician who does well in school. Im not an alcoholic and i don't do smokeshows in my truck.
I still do like to work and whatnot...i just get pissed when people are like...'he's a farmer he's dumb', or 'He's a farmer....he must be a boozer'.

arrr
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 4
earthman buck
earthman buck
06/22/2007 8:32 pm
I'm not a stereotypical Canadian in the least. I don't say "eh," I have no interest in curling or hockey, and I'm not wild about beer.

But that said, I think it's a pretty accurate stereotype.
# 5
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
06/22/2007 8:35 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyI hear what you mean. It's funny...I don't fit the farmer teenager stereotype. Im a dedicated musician who does well in school. Im not an alcoholic and i don't do smokeshows in my truck.
I still do like to work and whatnot...i just get pissed when people are like...'he's a farmer he's dumb', or 'He's a farmer....he must be a boozer'.

arrr

Pipe down boozer :D
# 6
Gargy
Gargy
06/22/2007 10:01 pm
The only sterotype I will touch... Asian people ONLY drive Japanese cars. I've lived enough places to observe that, although to this day I've met only four asian people who did NOT drive japanese cars.
# 7
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
06/22/2007 11:01 pm
I go along with the bit of truth theory, but Polish people are not dumb...I am not Polish but I think that stereotype came from a simple language barrier when they immigrated here. the whole Mexicans are lazy thing could not be farther from the truth.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 8
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
06/22/2007 11:04 pm
haha my friends tend to poke fun of my asianity...like me and noodles and stuff..and true that i drive japanese cars...cos its cheaper!

another thing is that most ppl tend to generalise abt all asians...which is pretty ignorant... its like comparing maybe an american to swedish dude or whatever...we all speak different languages and come from different cultures...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 9
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
06/22/2007 11:41 pm
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jp the whole Mexicans are lazy thing could not be farther from the truth.

A bit of a tangent here, but in Spanish civilisation lectures, we were told that in the seventies, the Spanish were widely stereotyped as lazy and stupid in the West - hence, Manuel from Fawlty Towers is Spanish. However, in Spain, it was Mexicans who were stereotyped as lazy and stupid; and so, in the Spanish version of the show, Manuel is Mexican. Just goes to show that stereotypes can be shamelessly "copy-and-pasted"; so perhaps some stereotypes aren't necessarily based in any significant degree of truth, but just "leapfrog" based on superficial perceptions? I dunno, just a random little just-got-out-of-bed theory.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 10
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
06/23/2007 2:17 am
Originally Posted by: da_ardvarkPipe down boozer :D

Hey! You're lucky im too drunk to chase you down!!!! Ill run you over with my tractor!

( :D )
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow

METOOB
# 11
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/23/2007 12:47 pm
All,

I think I should clarify my previous post on this subject. I said that all stereotypes are based in some level of truth, no matter how miniscule. After giving that some thought, I realize that's not true. I think that stereotypes are often-times based in some level of miniscule truth but it would seem that many of them are created on ignorance or misunderstanding. OR someone takes a characteristic of a group or individual and enhances it and makes a large, general statement that attempts to cover an entire race, gender, age...whatever.

So I want to apologize for my original post. I certainly hope I did not offend anyone. That was not my intent and you all know me well enough by now to know that. If I did offend someone, I heartily apologize. I didn't think my response through before posting it and I am sorry about that. :o

Okay, enough of that. We know return you to your regularly scheduled post...

H60
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 12
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
06/23/2007 2:29 pm
No need for apologies sir... I loved your post.

METOOB
# 13
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/23/2007 2:43 pm
I'm not gonna lie, stereotypes are usually used to bring out the bad qualities of something or qualities that are even non-existent. There are obviously some people who get really upset when they are stereotyped, but on another level... I can find nothing much funnier than when I'm watching stand up comedy and they completely unload truckloads of stereotypes, all of which match myself pefectly. You gotta laugh when that happens.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 14
Fret spider
Fret spider
06/23/2007 3:33 pm
if u thinkn about it steriotypes are an important part of society.

think about it if we treated every single situation as a completely new one it would take ages to do anything amd we wouldnt be able to priorities.

just think of situations if there are two tribes A and B, and u are in A. if one person from B attacks you one day and u escape. now the next time you see someone from tribe B (say they have certain face paint), u could treat this as a new situation, like u never had the previos incident. but it may be wiser to assume all peole from tribe B are hostile. of course the previos event could have been just chance, or u insulted him with ur body language. but untill something proves that this person n tribe B is not goin to attack you u should assume he very well might.

another more modern example. u are a begger, u see someone dressed in am expensive suit or someone dressed in cheapish jeans and a dirty t shirt. who do u approach. u would approach the man in the suit as u steriotype him as a rich person. it may not be the case but it saves time to assume it is.

the problem with steriotypes is when they are taken as a certainty and when u are unable to alter ur opinion of them when new information presents himself. like all blondes are dum or wateva. maybe a fair few of them are but u cant assume that.
# 15
dvenetian
dvenetian
06/23/2007 8:04 pm
Out here in Cali, Surfers are Stereotyped as Having Saltwater on the Brain.
They must, to still paddle out even when Bacteria warnings equal to Toilet water are posted everywhere, and later wondering if his girlfriend slipped him Mono after the Tonsil hockey session earlier because Salties throat hurts and suddenly hers does too (You Cheatin' WHORE)!!!!!!!!!!!!

A question for you Brit's; Is there any truth that in the UK Dentists are always first in the unemployment and bankruptcy lines, until finally deciding to jump????..............

I'm in a quandry regarding the empty Dentist chairs. Didn't the Queen agree to continue providing Free Healthcare to all, under the condition to "cease all comments and accept Charles' insane decision to crown his new Princess (Old, actually) and secondly, all vehicles parked on the sidewalk (or Pavement as you will), need to purchase and display a new parking permit in addition to the driving privledge tax permit".

(I lived in Greenwich for a spell after being awarded Contracts with Canary Wharf and learned some lingo, although I flat refused to attempt Cockney). That isn't even english.
There are a few positive Stereotypes, like;
The greatest musicians in the World are from the UK.
A solid track record of truth there, especially with so many of the American legends who ODed before they reached thirty. Even the "King" ODed.
However, we still have the other "King----of Pop" that is, but rumour has it that he's planning on relocating to the UK and opening an all boy Daycare Center with an option for sleepovers at no additional cost or limits..... Cheers
# 16
Fret spider
Fret spider
06/23/2007 11:31 pm
i dont get this thing about brits havin bad teeth i dont (and i am a brit). well the dentist said one tooth was half a milimeter out would i like to correct it.

in the south, (where i live) i dont know any one with bad teeth. anyone who had em had braces.
# 17
dvenetian
dvenetian
06/26/2007 8:42 am
Originally Posted by: Fret spideri dont get this thing about brits havin bad teeth i dont (and i am a brit). well the dentist said one tooth was half a milimeter out would i like to correct it.
in the south, (where i live) i dont know any one with bad teeth. anyone who had em had braces.

I agree. My experience in Canary Wharf had a multitude of beautiful Birds on a daily basis and for those who would bare it, had great smiles (along with many great Assets).
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.