My Fusion Vid

jlacharite
jlacharite
06/03/2007 8:32 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the site and thought that I would join your community and talk about all things music and guitar. If your interested you check out my fusion shred video on YouTube at this location, it like a musical introduction to me.....:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAYYZaGSxws

My style is a mixture of Frank Gambale and Tony Macalpine with some Satriani thrown in for good measure. Anyhoo, hope you enjoy and look forward to posting with you guys and girls in the near future. Thanks.

J
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/09/2007 9:21 am
Very nice shred... but....
what else can ya do?

I'm not trying to be an ass but where's the variety? Soft playing.... jazz, smooth, country....

You're shred it groovy but what can I say.... typical.... a million other guys can do the same thing.
I wanna see you stand there and blow me away with a variety of styles....
# 2
pythonusr
pythonusr
06/09/2007 11:48 am
Nice way of putting it...

Anyways, nice video, but as schmange said, a million other guys can do that... Try playing some other styles.
# 3
jlacharite
jlacharite
06/09/2007 11:52 am
well its sort of a shred video, the intent is to shred. I could play any style of guitar that I wanted, classical, metal, jazz, blues, country this just happens to be the one I put up on youtube. By the way where is your video?, why don't you demonstrate how to put up an interesting video marrying many styles. Don't assume that because I can shred that that is the only thing I can do.

J

ps: put your "Shred" video up and I'll give you an honest critique or don't and I'll assume that you can't shred which is why your so harsh in your critique. After that I'll put up one of any other style to show I've got more depth to my playing than you can imagine.
# 4
jlacharite
jlacharite
06/09/2007 12:02 pm
actually forget it, I seem to remember someone saying to me once "Those who can't do, teach". I sure heard a lot of pseudo-shredding in your music (re-hashed blues and Zakk Wild licks - Rocksplosion)......yawnnnnnn. Sorry I thought this was a place to share knowledge, but instead we find a bunch in insecure guitarists, too bad, but I'm not gonna waste my time here.
# 5
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
06/09/2007 1:45 pm
Originally Posted by: jlachariteactually forget it, I seem to remember someone saying to me once "Those who can't do, teach". I sure heard a lot of pseudo-shredding in your music (re-hashed blues and Zakk Wild licks - Rocksplosion)......yawnnnnnn. Sorry I thought this was a place to share knowledge, but instead we find a bunch in insecure guitarists, too bad, but I'm not gonna waste my time here.

I thought it was some good stuff. I wish I could play that good. You pretty much stated your style of music and your influences in your post and thats the kind of music you played. And it was Good! I do not think you should have to change your style and play different stuff just to please others. Next thing you know someone will be saying "Hey I did not hear any Willie Nelson licks in there whats up with that?" Stick around man we need some more people showing what they can do on this forum. Just my 2 cents....
# 6
jlacharite
jlacharite
06/09/2007 2:24 pm
thanks for the vote of confidence, just because you play fast dosen't mean that is the sum total of skills, shred is just on dimension. Cheers brother :)

j
# 7
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
06/09/2007 2:50 pm
Originally Posted by: jlacharitethanks for the vote of confidence, just because you play fast dosen't mean that is the sum total of skills, shred is just on dimension. Cheers brother :)

j

No problem. You should check out the GT Solo Assigment. The one for this month is a little unusual because there are some issues with the backing track. But it would be cool to have more people on that Thread posting their stuff. I am only in my second year of playing so my stuff is pretty basic. But I am learning alot on this site. Check out some of the past assigments and look at some of the posts and see what you think. Anyway just a thought.
# 8
jlacharite
jlacharite
06/09/2007 4:38 pm
will do, maybe I could give you some constructive criticism as to where you could improve, and what I think is working for ya. Stay posted......
# 9
pythonusr
pythonusr
06/09/2007 6:46 pm
I mean, I think it's good. It's just, most guitarists can shred like that. Try some other styles, that's all.

You wanted feedback, we gave it to you.
# 10
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
06/10/2007 3:53 pm
Originally Posted by: pythonusrI mean, I think it's good. It's just, most guitarists can shred like that. Try some other styles, that's all.

You wanted feedback, we gave it to you.

I am just used to seeing guys who are new to the site and posting music for the first time get a little bit better welcome. There are alot of people on this site like me that are not that good yet and it sucks to hear someone say everyone can shred like that....I know I am not at that level yet. Thats why I am here to see stuff like that and get inspired by it. It may not be my type of music but I can appreciate the talent and hard work it must have taken to get to that point. Anyway its all good. I am going to go and mangle some more scales. PEACE! :)
# 11
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
06/10/2007 5:02 pm
I thought it was good....I cannot play that fast....Schmange's nose must be stuffy again. ;)
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/10/2007 7:34 pm
jeez... sorry. Didn't mean to offend or anything.
I just get so jaded seeing shred stuff that it makes me wonder what else you're capable of.

If you wanna listen to my stuff, feel free...

http://www.soundclick.com/schmange

If you wanna hear shred, I guess MoogBoog is the closest thing to it. I've got a video but it's about 10 years old.
I wasn't trying to be an ass or whatever, but to me...being a good guitarist means being well versed in all kinds of styles. Not only being able to play shred, but jazz, country, easy listening, pop..etc etc.... Plus... if you really want to make it in this business, you have to know recording techniques and other instruments. Even if it means using a guitar synth to play keyboards... you have to be able to put a decent drum beat together, back it up with some decent bass riffs, synth sounds and a half decent vocal.

Like I said... you can shred, but what else can you do?
Everybody on this site can do what you do so you have to push yourself to new heights in order to impress the people around here.
# 13
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
06/10/2007 8:02 pm
Hey! I didn't hear any Willie Nelson licks in there whats up with that? :D I thought it was good. I can't play that fast. I'm not a big shred fan but that's a personal preference thing. I feel it's to mechanical and repetitive but that's me. Hope to see some other stuff from you in the future.

BC
# 14
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/10/2007 8:24 pm
yeah...btw... I gotta add... when I left my original comment I'd had a few beers so I mighta been a little harsh.

>(re-hashed blues and Zakk Wild licks - Rocksplosion)......yawnnnnnn

I gotta comment on that too btw... Rocksplosion was a throwaway tune done using a stock sample that was included with Halion. I took the synth version and redid it on guitar then just copied and pasted it a half dozen times.
Seriously... Rocksplosion is nothing but an attempt at emulating the car chase scene from The Matrix cause that's what I had playing in the background on DVD when I came up with it. Like... Rocksplosion is in no way what I'd call my type of music... I just did it to come up with a tv/film style song. I basically copied the Halion riff, added my own copy of it and added a bunch of tapping stuff on top of it. The rest is just riffing on bass etc to a bunch of loops.
# 15
jlacharite
jlacharite
06/11/2007 10:05 pm
yet when you do it (create a seemingly mundane piece of music just off the cuff) its alright then, let's not mention the fact that as you have said a thousand other bands have done this, and most do it better.

The video was something I whip off in 15 minutes, a complete improvisation over a backing track that I found on the web (btw please throw up your improvisation....backing track is A-OK @ truefire.com...that is truest measure of a musicians abilities, playing over something you've never heard before and making it sound interesting). Shredding is not the sum total of my music ability, ever heard the saying don't judge a book by its cover? There are lots of shredders out there no doubt, but half of them couldn't play what I just played because half the riffs are based on Frank Gambales speed picking/arpeggio approach, and to my knowledge there are few of us amongst the many. Its hard to hear because I'm using a lame webcam oh well.

On the music front, I've released 4 CD's and a 5th is on the way that is 80 minutes of music played completely on the classical guitar. I play in a 50's/60's/70's coverband, and gigged close to 750 times.

Bottom line, I listened to your music and its good for what it is, but its not as original as you would like to think. Next time before you stick your foot in your mouth, try engaging your brain. Your no better than I am, and in a lot of ways you fall victim to very same criticisms that you make. No hard feelings.
# 16
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2007 3:35 am
yeah, I hear ya.
To be honest, when I made the first comment on your vid, I was half in the bag from about 8 beers so I was probably a lot more obnoxious than usual. :)
What can i say... my apologies if I offended you.
I'm probably repeating myself here, but I've been on this site for about 7 years now & tend to get a little jaded sometimes. Sometimes it feels like all anybody is interested in is how fast they can shred.
# 17
jlacharite
jlacharite
06/12/2007 9:00 pm
true enough, no hard feelings, and I really understand about the whole shred thing, it seems to be the flavor of the month. I admit that there was an excessive amount of shred, I got lost in the moment, but it was fun.
# 18
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
06/12/2007 9:28 pm
I hate Dragonforce.
I will take "a note from Page"* over 500 notes by some "shredders" out there today

* from the song "Downtown" by Neil Young
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 19
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
06/13/2007 11:39 am
I do not hate shred I just do not like to hear it for 5 minutes straight. It has its place. Do a quick run and then move on to some slow bends and some Vibrato. Who wants to hear a song where someone strums an Open A chord for 5 minutes straight. Thats the example I use anyway when I hear a song that is nothing but contant shred. I think Jlacharites post had good phrasing and was not just one constant all out barage of Shred. I know this is getting to be a dead horse so I will shut up now.
One last thing...I am from Missouri and some of these bluegrass guys can really Shred! No Joke! :eek:
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.