My Fusion Vid

06/13/2007 12:55 pm
Originally Posted by: jlachariteThere are lots of shredders out there no doubt, but half of them couldn't play what I just played because half the riffs are based on Frank Gambales speed picking/arpeggio approach

I tried tackling some Gambales technique a few years ago. Couldn't do most of what he did, but then again I don't wanna play jazz/fusion or whatever his style is (no offense to anyone, I just don't like that style of music) so I didn't push myself enough to learn it. I'm not saying I could have if I had stick with it lol.

The only thing I kept of the time spent on his teaching is his economy picking and adding sweeps pattern to an alternate picking sequence. That really stayed with me. The guy is a freak in that department ... well in a lot other departement too lol

For the record. Being a teacher and being a musician is two different things. You don't become a teacher because you can't play or because you can't make it on the scene. You become a teacher because you know how to teach. I believe everyone has something to teach and everyone has something to learn. You just got to find the right teacher. The one that makes it interesting. Anyway, this wasn't the purpose of this thread.
# 1
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
06/13/2007 6:21 pm
"Green Grass and High Tides Forever" now that is shred :D
Maiden is about as shreddy as I can deal with, anything more is just overkill.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 2
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
06/13/2007 9:41 pm
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jp"Green Grass and High Tides Forever" now that is shred :D
Maiden is about as shreddy as I can deal with, anything more is just overkill.

Maiden was my favorite band in High School. Hell they are still one of my favorite bands today now that Bruce is back with them. I saw Piece of Mind in St. Louis and Stranger in a Strange land in San Antonio Texas. Okay I know that this is way off the topic of this thread but I just had to respond to the Maiden Reference. :cool:
# 3
jlacharite
jlacharite
06/15/2007 3:51 pm
I think most forms of music are cool, shred included. Shred is the embodiement of that quest for perfection and moving beyond the conventional borders that contain 95% of guitarist out there today. Like everything, it has been taken to the n'th degree by some, yet look at blues, country and rockabilly....who wants to hear someone else try and put their spin on the pentatonics, it's been done and rehashed so many times that their isn't much originality left. The best musicians the world has ever know are "Shredders" and more, Mozart, Lizt, Paginini, Corea, Davis, Vai and the list goes on, technical virtuosity is the highest form of expression because only a few can pull it off with conviction. My take is people hate shred so much because they don't invest enough time to beef up their own playing to be able to do it, so they put it down. there may be 500 shredders out there today, but there are 100 times that amount of mediocre guitarist that add nothing to any musical idiom. Let us not forget that some of the most influencial guitarist of the past 20 years shred, if its good enough for them and thier legions of fans, its good enough for me. Just my 2 cents.

j
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
06/15/2007 8:12 pm
Amen to that, I agree 100% with what you are saying.

PS, thought your vid was very impressive, nice technique, great patterns and passages, nice fluid runs, good groove. Not realy into the fusion end of shred myself but I can still appreciate good talent.
# 5
jlacharite
jlacharite
06/17/2007 1:38 pm
Cheers, I've always thought the main challenge was to do it off the cuff, If you can improvise at any time and do a convincing job of it, than your on the right track. Thanks for the feedback.

J
# 6
jlacharite
jlacharite
06/17/2007 1:41 pm
if you want you can check out my other Vid, a little more of a song based idea, I wrote it for my son, you can't keep a pair of socks on the kid hence the title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0AK_wOMdbo

cheers

J
# 7

06/17/2007 3:15 pm
Originally Posted by: jlachariteif you want you can check out my other Vid, a little more of a song based idea, I wrote it for my son, you can't keep a pair of socks on the kid hence the title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0AK_wOMdbo

cheers

J

Nice legato run in there.

I laughed when I saw you play those chords and kill the volume right after .. I guess you've played enough live gigs to know when to fight the feedbacks lol Turning the knob and adding that right hand slide at the same time probably limits the feedback too. Never thought of that ... good idea.
# 8
jlacharite
jlacharite
06/17/2007 10:44 pm
hehehe.....old habits die hard ;) thanks for the comments
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.