Left elbow position

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/20/2007 2:09 pm
For some reason, I've been having a bit of pain in my left elbow and it just won't go away. Is the proper position for the left elbow in close to the body or angled out (kinda like a chicken wing)? I've seen players do it both ways. I tend keep mine real close to the body and I think that this is causing me problems. What do you folks think?
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1

05/21/2007 12:51 am
Well, you can do a little exercise to pinpoint the source of the pain.

Keep your elbow stuck on your side. Then push your hand outward while keeping your elbow close to your body. Do you feel any pain?

Now if you felt pain, rotate your forearm like you did before up until it starts hurting. Then push your elbow away from your body while keeping your hand at in the same position. Do you feel less pain that way?

Normally, you should feel less pain pushing your elbow than rotating your forearm. At least that's what I've seen happen but I'm no doctor.
# 2
ren
ren
05/21/2007 12:19 pm
I go with having my arm away from my body (unless I'm way up the top of the neck - then you don't have much choice)...

I guess to visualise, if I held a B Barre chord at the 7th Fret my left forearm would be about square to the neck... don't have a guitar with me so having a bit of a guess, but that's about it...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/21/2007 1:00 pm
Thanks guys. I appreciate the thoughts. I think I am going to have to try something different cuz this is getting really weird. The pain in settling in the top of my elbow and forearm. Even hurts to touch it. I can actually feel tingling in my left hand and it's hard to even pick anything up with my left.

I wonder too if I am not doing the ol' death grip on the neck or something. Even when I tell myself to relax, apparently subconsciously I am trying to strangle the notes out of the guitar.

Again thanks. If it doesn't clear up in a week or so, I guess I'll have to go to the doctor. :mad: Argh. I hate having to go to the doctor.
# 4
ren
ren
05/21/2007 1:13 pm
maybe - I've only ever had problems with my picking arm, so can't really relate directly. I used to lock my arm when alternate picking, and as a result got pain in the back of my right elbow bad enough that it hurt to touch, and I could hardly play...

You're going to have to go very slow and figure out where the problem is - you might not need to see the Doc just yet... very simple one - are your fingers white near the tips when you play?

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
05/21/2007 1:21 pm
I don't know Ren. I'll check next time I play. I never really noticed the tips. I'm too busy trying to figure out the right place to put them! :D But you might be on to something. I might locking the arm up. Thanks bro!
# 6
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/23/2007 7:47 pm
I used to get pain in my wrist and forearm untill I moved my elbow out from my body so that my fretting hand moves up and down the fretboard by moving the elbow and wrist as one - from the shoulder. This takes a lot of the strain away from your hand and wrist as the only thing your tendons have to worry about is tapping and pulling off on the fretboard. Also, try raising your guitar up higher on its strap to an 'uncool' level. Most jazz players and classical players have very high guitar positions in relation to the chest and many of them play uber techincal fast passages. It worked for me instantly when it came to playing faster, more easily and without pain. Give it a go!
# 7
podunk
podunk
06/06/2007 4:47 pm
Sounds to me like you are getting too tense in your fingering arm. Let it fly a little looser, and relax. Put the attention into your fingertips where they hit the strings, let your arm find the comfortable spot, and keep your elbow loose. Bend your wrist a little more so you have a more direct shot at the fretboard. Find more comfortable positions that add speed to your changes. For example, like most, I'll barr with my index across the fretboard. But when a fast change comes up, I automatically barr a major with my index covering strings 1&2, while my thumb comes over the top of the neck to hit six, forming a very comfortable "squeeze". It may take a while to get used to something like that, but I've only been playing for 50 years... ;-)

Your guitar is like your lover. Learn to treat it like one. Expect to get back what you put into it.

p
# 8
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/06/2007 5:37 pm
Thanks for the advice. I know I'm doing something wrong because my elbow is killing me. It when I play and now it hurts when I don't play! Even picking things up hurts. It's weird. Makes weight lifting a pain in the butt too. I'll watch and let you all knowhow I make it out.
# 9

06/06/2007 11:35 pm
Hunter, please take time to consult a Doc soon. If you are experiencing pain when not playing, you might have tendons and/or ligament injury.

Don't wait too long, the damage could become severe. I know a lot a guitar player (myself including) who had at some point tendon problems. If taken early they are easily manageable.

If you go see the Doc make sure he tries to identify the source of the problem. it might not even be related to the guitar. The guitar might have put more stress on a already existing condition. Threat the injury, find the source, correct the source, live happily ever after ;)

Keep us posted.
# 10
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/07/2007 1:27 am
Originally Posted by: BenoitHunter, please take time to consult a Doc soon. If you are experiencing pain when not playing, you might have tendons and/or ligament injury.

Don't wait too long, the damage could become severe. I know a lot a guitar player (myself including) who had at some point tendon problems. If taken early they are easily manageable.

If you go see the Doc make sure he tries to identify the source of the problem. it might not even be related to the guitar. The guitar might have put more stress on a already existing condition. Threat the injury, find the source, correct the source, live happily ever after ;)

Keep us posted.

Thanks Benoit. I think you're right. It might be time to go and see the Doc. I have nothing against the man but I would rather just exchange Christmas cards with him. It's the strangest thing, this pain. It started a while back and at times, it's not too bad but then if I play for more than a 1/2 an hour or so, it just starts aching. It even hurts to the touch. I have no idea what sort of idiotic thing I did to it but I think it's time to let the man have a look.

I will say this though; if he tells me I can't play for a while, I will have to take that under advisement. Don't think I can do that. Hmm. Could be a problem.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. :)
# 11
ren
ren
06/07/2007 10:44 am
Take care dude.... The doc told me to stop playing for a bit because of the elbow pain, but I kinda needed to pay the bills, so never did... I get the odd pain now and again, but nothing like I used to.

Are you doing the warmup stuff before you start challenging yourself? That's what I did, spent twice as long warming up at half the pace to get myself moving. Sadly, the guys are right, it may be time to say hi to the doctor, but being as I don't listen to mine, I'm only saying you should so you have all available info.

# 12
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/07/2007 10:59 am
Originally Posted by: renTake care dude.... The doc told me to stop playing for a bit because of the elbow pain, but I kinda needed to pay the bills, so never did... I get the odd pain now and again, but nothing like I used to.

Are you doing the warmup stuff before you start challenging yourself? That's what I did, spent twice as long warming up at half the pace to get myself moving. Sadly, the guys are right, it may be time to say hi to the doctor, but being as I don't listen to mine, I'm only saying you should so you have all available info.

Thanks Ren. I'm not warming up. I know that's part of the problem but I am just not the most patient of people. Heck, I have a hard time reminding myself to stretch before running or lifting. See, I'm like you. I know if he says you can't play for a while, although there is no financial reason not to stop, I won't anyway. This whole guitar thing has become waaay too important to me. I can be very, very stubborn.
# 13
ren
ren
06/07/2007 12:40 pm
well (waves virtual finger at Hunter)... you gotta do the warm ups man - seriously.... put 5 minutes in at the start of a session and you might find the pain eases... you should also find that after warming up you play whatever you're playing better anyway.

I can't shred cold... :(

# 14
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/07/2007 12:46 pm
Originally Posted by: renwell (waves virtual finger at Hunter)... you gotta do the warm ups man - seriously.... put 5 minutes in at the start of a session and you might find the pain eases... you should also find that after warming up you play whatever you're playing better anyway.

I can't shred cold... :(

"I hang my head in shame..."

I believe I have just had a virtual castigation... :D
# 15
ren
ren
06/07/2007 12:49 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60"I hang my head in shame..."

I believe I have just had a virtual castigation... :D

It's for your own good bud... ;)

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.