Suggestions?

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/13/2007 8:03 pm
Hey guys, I'd like your input on something.

I've got an audition on Tuesday so I can get into a guitar major in school next year. For now, all I have to do is go in, play some stuff, and show some proficiency on the guitar. Now, I don't know many songs that I can play solo that wouldn't require some rhythms to a certain extent. I've considered Bron Yr Aur, which I've pretty much got up to speed. However, that song is still pretty friggin difficult to me to play by myself all the way through without any mistakes. And I don't own a good acoustic, and playing it on my Ibanez can be a bit of a challenge. I may play some Hendrix, probably Little Wing, or something of that nature. But I really don't have many other ideas. Any moderately difficult songs that you would suggest that I could play solo? I pick up on things fairly quick, so with enough practice this weekend I could learn some stuff.

The guy I talked to today sounded pretty cool. Most of the professors there go by Dr. and such, but I asked him if I said his last name right (because its a strange spelling) and he just told me to call him by his first name. Sounded pretty laid back, so it should be cool. I'm a bit nervous. This will be the most "official" thing I've ever had to play guitar for, so hopefully I don't choke.

Thoughts appreciated.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 1
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
04/13/2007 8:08 pm
Man im green as hell so I wond even throw you any ideas. I do how ever wish you all the luck man. I know you probably are a little nervouse about this. Just go in and do "your" thing and im sure you will do great. Agin.... all the luck bud. I'll keep ya in mind.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 2
ren
ren
04/13/2007 8:45 pm
When I had to do a similar performance, I turned a few tunes into one. I did Satriani - 'Midnight', 'Day at the Beach' & 'Bamboo' mixed up (I don't like to think of it as a medley, but I guess it was).

Don't know if you can do it in your circumstance. If you can do the tapped stuff you can cover the rhythm part as well so that might be cool. If not, hopefully the thought translates to say hendrix / zep / James Blunt ( :eek: ) or whatever.

The advantages for this are:

1) If you know lots of bits of songs, you could build something with what you have rather than learn new material.
2) If you arrange it yourself, they won't know if you screw it up a bit as long as you 'style it out'... (Keep playing!)
3) If you use pieces you already know, there's less stress in performing them.
4) You might be able to showcase more techniques by combining pieces.

If you have to play a known piece, maybe think about something like 'Midnight'. If you can't play it already, it's not too tricky... make sure you cheat with a hair band or something around the neck though...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/13/2007 8:58 pm
I've never tried Midnight, but I like the song. I've heard its not all that tricky either. The only Satch song I know start to finish is Starry Night, and that requires some rhythms. But Midnight is definitely a good idea.

Thanks Ren, I'll take a look at that.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/13/2007 9:17 pm
This ain't gonna help much right now, but this is one of the reasons why the first thing I do with every new student is make them come up with a 5 minute 'showcase' piece.
Something that spans all your best talents that you practice on a daily basis and you continually work on throughout your life.

Whenever somebody asks you to play something, you just play your showcase piece. Basically, you should have it practiced so often that even though it's complex and impressive as hell, you can probably play it in your sleep.

If you really want a challenge, try doing multiple things while playing your piece. Like reciting shakespeare or singing a Britney Spears song... just dumb stuff that makes you laugh your head off.. but at the same time, trains your brain and fingers to effortlessly play without conciously thinking about it.
# 5
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/13/2007 9:28 pm
I'll have to try that Schmange.

I just tried Midnight. I don't the action is low enough on my low end RG to do it. I have to slam anything from the 12th fret up and it sounds like butt, even with a rag hanging off the top. I may try to come up with a different arrangement of Starry Night.
# 6
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
04/13/2007 9:31 pm
Interesting but good ideas there Schmange.

Anyway Grizzly I really have nothing to offer in the way of help but I wish you the best of luck man. I liked ren's idea on a medley kind of think to show all your talents but I don't know if that's what they're looking for. Let us know how it goes. You'll do fine I'm sure.
# 7
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/13/2007 9:35 pm
Grizzly,I wish I could offer you some advice on the songs but since I can't, I will offer you the best of luck. If you need an acoustic, PM me and maybe we can arrange for you to borrow the Ovation Celebrity I just bought. It has a nice sound to it and the action is set well. Just let me know. If not, good luck dude. Kick a**. :D
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 8
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/13/2007 10:08 pm
Originally Posted by: Akira

I wouldn't condone sitting there and playing lots of lead as this will get old very fast; they've probably just interviewed a hundred other guys who just sat there playing their favourite Vai and Satch licks.

Yeah, that would get old fast. I highly doubt they've heard many Satch or Vai fans though. This isn't really a prestigious music school. I've been to nights when they've had a band playing a few times, and I assume they're trying to get a good group of musicians together. I was dumbfounded when they played the wrong chords to "Back In Black". Its like, c'mon guys... Like that progression could get any easier.

Anyways, I'll see what I can throw together. Maybe even lay down a recording and see what you guys think. I'll probably play Bron Yr Aur to death.

Hunter, many thanks on your offer, but I just found another guy who can lend me his acoustic, so I think I'm set in that department. Very nice of you to make such a generous offer.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for the good luck wishes. GT is by far the most supportive forum I've ever participated on. Thanks guys.
# 9
Fret spider
Fret spider
04/13/2007 10:32 pm
all i can really say is good luck dude.

the medly idea is a good one i think, because you can showcase many different things you can do. most of all if u make a mistake keep playin, you never know they might not notice it. :p

as long as u make the different bits flow into each other it should work well. u might have to change the keys you have learnt each song in to make it flow more but that aint very hard on guitar, just move up a few frets.
# 10
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/13/2007 11:26 pm
Alright, I'm working on something now. Strange combination but bare with me.

Little Wing Intro-->Little Wing Solo--->SRV's Pride And Joy Intro--->Pride And Joy Solo--->2nd Riff Of Starry Night (basically 3 riffs in that song)--->3rd Riff of Starry Night--->Pantera Floods Outro :p :rolleyes:

The strangest part is flowing Starry Night into the Floods outro, but I'll figure out a way to link em. Shouldn't be all that hard to do.

Thanks for this idea guys. No reason in learning something new when I've only got until Tuesday to do it.
# 11
Fret spider
Fret spider
04/13/2007 11:47 pm
one thing to consider is u dont want it all to be really technicall stuff. u need to groove for bits of it.

just in case u were gonna shred it all
# 12
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/13/2007 11:48 pm
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderone thing to consider is u dont want it all to be really technicall stuff. u need to groove for bits of it.

just in case u were gonna shred it all

All those parts are rhythm parts, aside from the solos, which are meant to be blues solos. So I'm not gonna shred em.
# 13
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/15/2007 10:07 pm
Heres a question for those of you that have done this: How long have your medleys been?

The line up now goes:

Little wing intro->Little Wing verse->Pride And Joy Intro->Pride And Joy Solo->Starry Night Riff->Petrucci's Damage Control riff->Floods outro

Not sure how long that runs me. I'm gonna lay down a recording in a bit and I'll let you hear for yourselves and I need some opinions on what should stay and what should go.
# 14
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
04/16/2007 12:32 am
Sorry I did not have time to read all the posts but if it has not been mentioned the song Classical Gas is a really great song solo. It requires fingerpicking but I learned alot of it my first year playing. You can check out a sample of it at guitar guru. Hope this helps. If you need me to send you a copy of the tabs for it shoot me an email.
# 15
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
04/16/2007 3:12 am
Meg I played a tarrega piece and a carcassi piece. There was also another one in there, but I can't think of the dude's name right now. I was really stressed about it, and had just gotten back from a trip to New Orleans so jet lag and all that stuff made it worse. It wasn't as nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be, and apparently I got in. Just be relaxed and prepared.

Good luck!

# 16
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/24/2007 6:25 pm
Just got home from the audition. All I played was Bron Yr Aur and I nailed it. I think he had heard enough after that, because we just went,talked about guitarists and such and he gave me some music and a cd to look at. Turns out he likes a lot of the same guys as me. He also liked the Bron Yr Aur arrangement enough to want me to email the music to him. So I think I did well.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys and gals. Meant a lot to me. :D
# 17
ren
ren
04/25/2007 11:26 am
Glad to hear it went well dude. When do you hear 'officially'?

For info, my 'showpiece' is about 2.5 minutes long... It's now bits of songs I've written which showcase most of the silly techniques I've picked up, transposed to the same key with a few rests so I can cut it short if appropriate.

Useful to have something so ingrained that you can throw it out whenever the need arises... something that Kev 'Schmange' Taylor is often seen advocating...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 18
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/25/2007 11:42 am
Argh, saw this one too late, sorry mate... :(

Glad to hear it went well! From what I've heard of your playing, I think you'll sail right in. I'd like to hear that medley of yours sometime as well.

Schmange, that showcase piece idea is really great!
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 19
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/25/2007 1:27 pm
I have to get a couple of teacher recommendations now and fill out an application for the music school itself. I already got accepted into the college, now its phase 2 for the music part. But they won't tell me anything until I get that application filled out. Judging from the conversation we had, the cd & music he gave me, I think I should be alright.

Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesus

Glad to hear it went well! From what I've heard of your playing, I think you'll sail right in. I'd like to hear that medley of yours sometime as well.

If you were addressing me about my medley that I made, you can hear a rough edition down in the listening posts. If you weren't speaking to me, then disregard this.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.