What I do....

andrew3in1
andrew3in1
03/13/2007 10:55 pm
:D
I don't know if I have ever done this before. If I have just chalk it up to my advanced years of age.

Here is what I do with my guitar knowledge. I play in my church's praise band twice a week and sometimes other churches that ask me to come play there. I practice with the guys twice a week, more if we are doing something special.

I also help young people who want to learn to play the guitar. I don't give lessons but get them started by teaching them how to play G, C, and D. If they wish to pursue this further I put them in touch with a real teacher. This is the reason for the post earlier about the rechargeable battery.

Oh, and if I forgot I also work a full time job.

I have been playing the guitar since I was 12, I am now ** years old. I own three guitars now. Two of them are acoustic electric. The other just acoustic. I have owned over 25 different guitars in my life, and until 20 years ago I had 12 at one time, but my wife really hated having to sleep outside so I had to get rid of some of them.

I enjoy the discussions here, and feel comfortable talking about this here. Hope this helps some of you with where I am coming from.

:cool:
Andrew
[FONT=Arial]Sarcasm Just One Of
Our Free Services.[/FONT]
# 1
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
03/13/2007 11:48 pm
Good stuff bud.

I play in the praise team too...setting aside volume issues (that's another story). It really kicked me in the ass at first, cause i realized that playing rythym isn't quite as easy as i though.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 2
andrew3in1
andrew3in1
03/14/2007 12:24 pm
I believe playing in any band is really hard. Maybe more so in apraise band since you really want to do your best.

I sweat more in those 45 minutes or so than any day in our Texas summer.

But I would hate to give it up. I really enjoy it.
Andrew
[FONT=Arial]Sarcasm Just One Of
Our Free Services.[/FONT]
# 3
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
03/14/2007 1:04 pm
Right at the moment I use my guitar knolage to relax. I love tosit back at least an hour a night and not think of work, bills, etc... just me and the guitar. Been working alot on my acoustic. We have a bunch of cookouts during the summer and look forward to using what I know at those got togethers. I am looking forward to many evenings this summer sitting on a back poarch picking and grinning for friends and family.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
03/14/2007 1:31 pm
I use my guitar to weaken the defenses of unsuspecting woman... Then I gently remind them that I'm the closest thing to John Mayer that they'll ever get...

That's what I do.

No really though.

I have quite a few friends that play solo gigs and I sit in with them and let them sit in with me when I do solo gigs. I like doing little coffee shops and corner pubs. I like the atmosphere... versus playing in a band. It's a lot more stressful in a band than when you can just play what you want to play when you want to play it and how you want to play it without playing band politics.
# 5
ren
ren
03/14/2007 3:08 pm
At the moment, I use my guitar knowledge/experience/ability/whatever as a means to pay the bills, and as recreation. I teach, record and perform for money and also use the guitar to relax. As I've said in other threads, it has become my speaking voice as well - I can't talk to a crowd but I can play confidently for one without even thinking about it. I'm lucky in so far as band politics aren't an issue. I've played to pretty large crowds, and sat at a party drunk like we all do... I only feel stress of any kind when playing new material to people close to me.

I don't have a proper job any more - gradually moved away from it as I managed to make more from the guitar. I'm not rich, but I now pay the bills and I haven't starved yet - all thanks to the guitar. I'm now writing a book and working on different techniques trying to find something that's mine... some kind of cool thing that I did first. Whether I'll find it is something else...

I'll deviate a little from Adam on the women front though - you don't need to use it to weaken their defences, it's already done it without asking. You have to be able to either a) play or b) look good wearing a guitar necklace but the hard work is already done...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 6
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/14/2007 5:15 pm
Originally Posted by: renAt the moment, I use my guitar knowledge/experience/ability/whatever as a means to pay the bills, and as recreation. I teach, record and perform for money and also use the guitar to relax. As I've said in other threads, it has become my speaking voice as well - I can't talk to a crowd but I can play confidently for one without even thinking about it. I'm lucky in so far as band politics aren't an issue. I've played to pretty large crowds, and sat at a party drunk like we all do... I only feel stress of any kind when playing new material to people close to me.

I don't have a proper job any more - gradually moved away from it as I managed to make more from the guitar. I'm not rich, but I now pay the bills and I haven't starved yet - all thanks to the guitar. I'm now writing a book and working on different techniques trying to find something that's mine... some kind of cool thing that I did first. Whether I'll find it is something else...

I'll deviate a little from Adam on the women front though - you don't need to use it to weaken their defences, it's already done it without asking. You have to be able to either a) play or b) look good wearing a guitar necklace but the hard work is already done...

If I weren't afraid of being accused of being petty, I'd be really, really jealous! :D
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 7
ren
ren
03/14/2007 5:25 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60If I weren't afraid of being accused of being petty, I'd be really, really jealous! :D

he he.... life's a bitch... :rolleyes:

I'm lucky, and I know it....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 8
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/14/2007 6:04 pm
Originally Posted by: renhe he.... life's a bitch... :rolleyes:

I'm lucky, and I know it....

Yes sir, life is a bitch...just a little bitchier for some ...hehe So, you're writing a book? On guitar instruction or is this fiction? How cool is that? GT is rich with literary talents! :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 9
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
03/15/2007 10:23 am
Originally Posted by: andrew3in1:D I have owned over 25 different guitars in my life, and until 20 years ago I had 12 at one time, but my wife really hated having to sleep outside so I had to get rid of some of them.

:cool:

i would have gotten her a little dome tent... :D
# 10
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
03/15/2007 10:26 am
Seriously, Kudos to all of those who teach. I do not have the patience, I think it takes a special person to teach.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.