I bought a pack of smokes

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/11/2007 7:53 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpyea!!!!! what Lats said!!!!!!! :mad: hopefully you will live to my age and realize how precious youth is...not that over 40 sucks ass...it ain't bad really

I have allowed my body to deteriorate somewhat from the condition it was in when I was 20-something, but it's still a good place to live in. And as I have pointed out, it is a whole lot better than the alternative!
I feel better than James Brown! :D
He lived fully, but he be dead now - and I be feelin' much better than that!
:D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
03/11/2007 8:05 am
so guess "you feel good" Lats?? ;)
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/11/2007 8:07 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrswell, in my absence from GT I've been getting myself in all sorts of trouble. one of them being smoking. I tried cigarettes a couple of times, but really didn't like the taste. I preferred cigars. I thought it would help relieve some stress, but really all it did was made me nautious, made my mouth have a funny taste that wouldn't go away for hours, and grossed my girlfriend out. so I stopped. but, it seems that all of my friends are smokers now. I really wish they would stop too.

Welcome back!

And I'm so glad that you were able to resist the temptations of tobacco. Been there - done that. It was not good for anyone who got involved.

Life goes on - if you're lucky. :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/11/2007 8:12 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpso guess "you feel good" Lats?? ;)

Hell, yes!

I'm out of shape, but I'm still here. And where there's life, there's hope. And where there's hope, there's life that can be better! :D

Yo! I ain't left yet; an' I ain't goin' nowhere else in any kinda hurry, yo. :cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/11/2007 12:38 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckCall me a young fool if you will, but I still think dying young is the way to go. You older gents seem to be liking your age just fine, and that's cool, but I just can't see myself ever hitting that point. The oldest I can imagine myself is 17, and that's how old I am now.

This next birthday is gonna be goddamn weird.

Dude, dude, dude...(said while shaking my head). LATS summed it up perfectly but allow me to add my own two cents worth. It's totally nuts to think that way and, oddly enough, perfectly understandable. Like Schmange said, we're all convinced of our immortality in our youth. NOTHING can kill you at that point. Even when you lose a few friends or family to drunk driving, over-dose, psychosis or suicide, in your mind you think "Not me. Not me." I'm sure that each and every one of them thought the very same thing. In my life, and I am sure everyone else on GT can say the same thing, I have looked into enough coffins and stood over more than my fair share of closed ones to know that it's an ugly thing to witness. To see someone young, who never really lived, be gone. Be grateful for the life you have. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, romantic about an early death. Nothing.

Look, my birth father died when he was 31 years old (when I was 18 months old). He had cancer but ended up putting a bullet in his brain before the disease took him. My birth mother died a few years later from phlebitis at the tender age of 26. I was 4 1/2 years old at the time. I never really knew either one of them. But the point is, with that genetic load in my viens, every day past my 30th birthday was and is a true gift. Like you, when I was 18, I thought "I don't want to be old" and brother, I lived with every intention of being off this rock by the time I was 25. For several years, I was practically a local legend for my ability to consume copious amounts of alcohol and illegals and still manage to get up and go to work the following day. I drove my car so hammered I don't even remember leaving the party. And then one day, I realized 'Damn, this is a stupid way to live'. Look, you shouldn't plan for a quick death - plan for a long life and live that way.

There is this time/space thing that goes on with youth. At 17, you look at someone in their 40's or 50's and think 'My God, how old - I hope I don't see that age." And when you hit your 40's or 50's, you look at teenagers and think to yourself 'Man, how young, how immature I was at that age." Truth is, I've known a bunch of 'old' young guys and some 'young' old guys. It comes down to how you approach things. A great example for me was last year when I saw Dick Dale (Surf Guitar King for those of you too young to remember him) who, at the age of 70, rocked the house better than anyone else I had seen in years. No kidding. He literally kicked serious ass.

It's all in the approach. Trust us on this, you WILL see things differently in the future. Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse? That sort of nonsense dripped out the end of some Hollywood script writers pen. Why people think that dying young is some sort of overly romantic idea escapes me.

You haven't even become the person you're going to be yet. Why cheat yourself out of that? So many people to meet, so many things to do... heck man, you're just getting started!

And like the others have said, for those of 'older' people here, where there is life, there is hope. And yes, when you hit this age, all the ladies start looking good!!! :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 5
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/11/2007 5:43 pm
wow, I missed the "die young" discussion up there.

anyways. but smoking...
I dont like Cigs or Cigars. Cigars over cigarettes. I mean, I smoke socially on occasion and dont see anything wrong with it. Like, me and some buds go to Hooka bars downtown every now and then, which is a much better smoke than cigs, hands down. better for you, too.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 6
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
03/11/2007 7:09 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsI hope you live long enough to look back on that and not recognise yourself.

There are worse things than getting old. The people who didn't get to grow old found that out the hard way.

I don't recall making it sound like a positive experience. I don't regret my lifestyle at all, but that wasn't a very typical night for me. The only positive thing I gained from it was don't get in a car with people that I don't know that well.

As for dying young, I'm not really into that idea. Only situation that I'd want to die is if I went senile, **** that.

# 7
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/11/2007 7:54 pm
I enjoy a good cigar...and my quest to quit chewing didn't work out. I'm not driven enough at this point. I have no reason to want to quit yet. Cigs are nasty though. Everyone tries em. Some get addicted. Everyone tries to quit. Kinda sad how stupid we are eh?
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 8
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
03/11/2007 10:49 pm
Its better you quit now than having something unwanted come along down the road. Kinda like guitar, a lot of people wished they picked it up years before they actually started playing.

I agree with Holly, if I can't wipe my own ass and forget where my house is, please, put me out of my misery.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 9
acapella
acapella
03/12/2007 4:21 am
I feel compelled to contribute to the "die young" discussion.

I figure that as long as I'm alive and well, I'd rather stay that way. I don't know what's going to happen after I die, but as long as I'm alive, healthy, and sane, I know there will always be things I can enjoy. After I die, I may never get to do anything, or even think about doing anything, again. Maybe that won't be the case, and if so, I'll be ecstatically happy. But since I don't know, I'd rather live forever. The only time I would want to die would be if I lost my mind or the use of my whole body, or something like that.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 10
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/12/2007 4:46 am
Maybe I should clarify what I meant when I said "dying young is the way to go."

I don't want to get old and watch people I know and admire die. I don't want to realize there are things I can't do anymore, or things I missed the opportunity for. I don't want to ever feel like the clock is ticking and I'm almost out of time. The thing is, I already feel all of those things.

I'm 17 right now. That's almost 20. If I live to 80 (which I think is a pretty safe estimate), that means a quarter of my life has gone by. A whole quarter! I think to myself "I've been alive for almost two decades now," and my only response is "Bull****. Check the numbers again, you added something wrong." If 17 years go by that quickly, so will the rest.

And yeah, I know the rest of my life is going to be drastically different than this last bit has been, but that doesn't make me feel any better. It just makes me think "so what was the point in all this, then?"

If I truly wanted to be dead, I'd just kill myself. Frankly, I prefer to be living. I just don't want to watch everything I know and believe in crumble. That's all.
# 11
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/12/2007 11:05 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckMaybe I should clarify what I meant when I said "dying young is the way to go."

I don't want to get old and watch people I know and admire die. I don't want to realize there are things I can't do anymore, or things I missed the opportunity for. I don't want to ever feel like the clock is ticking and I'm almost out of time. The thing is, I already feel all of those things.

I'm 17 right now. That's almost 20. If I live to 80 (which I think is a pretty safe estimate), that means a quarter of my life has gone by. A whole quarter! I think to myself "I've been alive for almost two decades now," and my only response is "Bull****. Check the numbers again, you added something wrong." If 17 years go by that quickly, so will the rest.

And yeah, I know the rest of my life is going to be drastically different than this last bit has been, but that doesn't make me feel any better. It just makes me think "so what was the point in all this, then?"

If I truly wanted to be dead, I'd just kill myself. Frankly, I prefer to be living. I just don't want to watch everything I know and believe in crumble. That's all.

Glad you clarified. I doubted that you actually meant that you hoped to check out young. All of you youngsters have way too much going on to even consider that. And don't concentrate on the math. I used to do that. I would sit there at every b'day and think 'one step closer to death'. But you know what? The time passes regardless so you might as well do what you can and what you want with it. :)
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/12/2007 11:15 am
heh... I have a death counter widget on my desktop.
If I live to the same age as my father, apparently I'm .58% closer to death.
I've got 11,982 days, 18 hours, 48 minutes and 38 seconds left.
And I just wasted the last 38 seconds typing this out.
# 13
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/12/2007 11:48 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeheh... I have a death counter widget on my desktop.
If I live to the same age as my father, apparently I'm .58% closer to death.
I've got 11,982 days, 18 hours, 48 minutes and 38 seconds left.
And I just wasted the last 38 seconds typing this out.

Man,am I glad that doesn't work that way. If it did, I would have died about 15 years ago! :eek:
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.