A 'novel' contest

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/04/2007 11:19 pm
In case you're interested, I had entered my 'novel' into a contest on Gather.com They publish Chapter 1 in the first round, leave it up for 14 days and then pull it down. They cull the field down to 20 manuscripts and move on to Round 2. Same deal. Then onto Round 3 before they declare a winner.

If you're so inclined, you can go to Gather.com and give it a read. It's in the First Chapters contest and it's entitled 'Lance: A mid-life tale.' Frankly, and as expected, I'm taking a major beating from the critics (but hey, you never succeed unless you try). If you wish to comment on it and/or vote on it, you'll have to join the site. It's free but that's totally up to you. I just thought you might be interested to give this a read.

And for all of you aspiring writeres (Jolly, Eric..etc...) it's not a bad site to publish on. You can join various writers groups and get a lot of feedback (good and bad) on your work from others around the world.

**MODS: If this posting isn't appropriate for the site, please delete and accept my apologies**
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
acapella
acapella
03/05/2007 4:39 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60And for all of you aspiring writeres (Jolly, Eric..etc...)

I can't believe you would not even MENTION me and Brendon. That cuts real deep, man. I thought we was tight.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/05/2007 5:16 am
To save a bit of time, the story can be found here.

I think you did alright, Nick. The critics were a bit harsh, but I can sorta see what they were getting at. At first I thought the dialogue was a bit phony-sounding, but as it went on I was actually picturing the characters talking without needing to pause and cringe, so that's definitely a good thing.

I don't know what else to say. I'd like to read more of this, to see where it's going.
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
03/05/2007 6:30 am
Originally Posted by: acapellaI can't believe you would not even MENTION me and Brendon. That cuts real deep, man. I thought we was tight.

He said ect... :p
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/05/2007 10:14 am
Originally Posted by: acapellaI can't believe you would not even MENTION me and Brendon. That cuts real deep, man. I thought we was tight.

My most sincere apologies. Certainly did not mean to make that sound like I was excluding you guys. :) Seriously, you know better than that, right? I am assuming that you're just breaking my *** a little this morning.

See, my forgetting to mention you guys is just one more reason that friends don't let friends type drunk. :o
# 5
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/05/2007 10:17 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckTo save a bit of time, the story can be found here.

I think you did alright, Nick. The critics were a bit harsh, but I can sorta see what they were getting at. At first I thought the dialogue was a bit phony-sounding, but as it went on I was actually picturing the characters talking without needing to pause and cringe, so that's definitely a good thing.

I don't know what else to say. I'd like to read more of this, to see where it's going.

Thanks. Some people like the dialogue written in that machine gun fashion and others don't. Matter of personal taste I suppose. I tried to write it the way my friends and I talk. There's usually not much time for rumination in between thoughts.

Thanks again for taking the time to read it. I do appreciate it.
# 6
acapella
acapella
03/05/2007 8:37 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60My most sincere apologies. Certainly did not mean to make that sound like I was excluding you guys. :) Seriously, you know better than that, right? I am assuming that you're just breaking my *** a little this morning.

See, my forgetting to mention you guys is just one more reason that friends don't let friends type drunk. :o

Yeah, don't worry about it, I knew you didn't do it as anything against us. I was just buggin' ya some.
I'll finish reading that story later, I started it but I think I better get some actual work done now, lest I should fail.
# 7
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/05/2007 10:38 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellaYeah, don't worry about it, I knew you didn't do it as anything against us. I was just buggin' ya some.
I'll finish reading that story later, I started it but I think I better get some actual work done now, lest I should fail.

Thanks. You gotta remember, I'm a little older and my memory's not quite as sharp. (one of the official penalties of a wild and reckless youth...that and baldness) I have officially hit the point where I check and make sure I'm wearing pants when I leave the house.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to read it. It's not very good (and I know it) but it was a labor of something or other. Took quite a while to write and I am proud of finishing it. One of these days I'll actually get around to doing a complete re-write. Or not.
# 8
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/06/2007 4:19 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60I appreciate you guys taking the time to read it. It's not very good (and I know it) but it was a labor of something or other. Took quite a while to write and I am proud of finishing it. One of these days I'll actually get around to doing a complete re-write. Or not.

Well believe me, I admire you for it. Writing stuff is tough, especially when you're trying to make a whole novel out of it. I still want to write a novel someday, but I'm just so damn unfocused.
# 9
acapella
acapella
03/06/2007 4:40 pm
You're a good guy, hunter. When me and Brendon do our Grand GT Road Trip, we're totally hittin' you up. And once I get caught up on this work I'll finish reading your story, I've just been too busy with assignments.
# 10
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/07/2007 12:01 am
Originally Posted by: acapellaYou're a good guy, hunter. When me and Brendon do our Grand GT Road Trip, we're totally hittin' you up. And once I get caught up on this work I'll finish reading your story, I've just been too busy with assignments.

I look forward to it! Bring your guitars and you guys can teach this old dog a trick or fifty. :)
# 11
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/07/2007 12:03 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckWell believe me, I admire you for it. Writing stuff is tough, especially when you're trying to make a whole novel out of it. I still want to write a novel someday, but I'm just so damn unfocused.

I have no doubt that you will write many novels in your lifetime. It's not easy but nothing worth doing ever is, right? (Man, where does he come up with this fortune cookie philosophy? Oh yeah, fortune cookies...that's right!) :D
# 12
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/09/2007 12:12 pm
My two weeks are up so they have pulled the chapter down. Thanks to all who took the time to read it. I appreciate the support. Thanks again.

H60
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.