finish repairs

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
02/25/2007 11:30 am
I am not sure where to put this thread.

I dropped my Prs! I dont know what to do...I was putting it back into it's stand, and I must have placed it wrrong (its a Hercules stand) and it fell through the neck grip and landed on the floor.

There is a small chip in the paint just near the strap pin on the bottom...its not visible from the front. I dont know what to do. It is a vintage yellow finish, with a wine red back, and only the wine red part is damaged. I have the chip of paint, and if I place that onto the wound, it just looks like a small dent. I dont know what to do.

Can I get just a small section (1 cm x 1 cm) refinished? or do I need to do the whole guitar? Or just the back? if this is particularly costly (as I imagine it would be to do the entire guitar or even just the back, should I take the guitar in anyway? perhaps I need to seal the chip so as to prevent anymore chunks from being taken out?

please anyone who knows these answers, help me out. I know these things happen, so I imagine most of you will be able to help me.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/25/2007 1:11 pm
I leave all of my dings, scratches, and chips just like they are. To me, they give the guitar character. Sorry I can't help you out.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
02/25/2007 1:41 pm
I wouldn't have minded on my Les Paul...but my Prs is such a beautiful instrument and so ornate that it's kind of like leaving a bashed bumper on an M5
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
02/25/2007 3:55 pm
and now a wise-ass buddy of mine has suggested that maybe if I leave it as is, moisture could get into the wood and cause tone changes and finish cracking etc...anyone know anything about this? it is open, but small...I'm sure prs would seal the wood before finishing...if that is possible
# 4
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
02/25/2007 4:34 pm
if its just a small chip i wouldn't worry abt it too much..i seriously doubt the moisture thing too ive had chips and scratches all over so far its fine...then again i own an inexpensive guitar so i dont really feel the pinch...you'll probably just forget abt it in time...but if u really want to fix it i have no idea how...putting it back in place wud still leave marks unless u decide to respray the whole thing...which i think is costly but i cant be sure.. :)
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/25/2007 5:12 pm
I think you have only lost a few layers of the finish at that spot, so moisture entry is not an issue. You can glue the chip into place with some cyanoacrilate glue (don't use cheap Crazy Glue crap - get the good stuff), just be careful about it.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
02/25/2007 5:29 pm
I dont know...the wood has lost all coloured layers of finish. it may have some transparent layers tho...I'm gonna take it into the local Prs dealership, which also happens to have a great tech, and a place where I know the staff well, and see what they have to say abnout it
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/26/2007 12:40 am
Originally Posted by: Andrew Sa...I'm gonna take it into the local Prs dealership, which also happens to have a great tech, and a place where I know the staff well, and see what they have to say abnout it

Jeez; you might have mentioned this earlier. :p Not all of us have that available. I thought this was one of your London purchases, and you had no tech support at hand.

P.S.: Are you still in London, or back in South Africa now? :confused:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
RobSm
RobSm
02/26/2007 6:14 am
I'm sure Dan Erlewine did a similar repair to what's required in his tech tip newsletter.

If You browse the StewMac site: http://www.stewmac.com/

you will probably find the step by step procedure.

Some things aren't easy to find and the purpose of the info is to sell you stuff :D

Good Luck
Robbo
# 9
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
02/26/2007 3:09 pm
I'm back in Johannesburg hey.
The guitar is an England purchase, but I know the guys at the only Prs dealership here really well. I took it to them and they presented me with the options...I am getting the chip of paint, glued back into the guitar,and the wound sealed up...I'm told it should look like a small dent when its done...so thats ok

Thanks for your help guys
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.