Music

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/25/2007 3:06 am
We had a topic a while back on the fact that beauty is in the eye of the ear of the beholder. Now, when I talk to some people about my favorite artists, Satch, Petrucci, Johnson, etc, they seem to get upset and tell me that they're all show boat artists.

Heres the question: What is music to you? Does it necessarily have to be one thing? I mean for some, like a blues musician, its a total release of emotions. Lyrics are often left out, its just them and the music. Somebody like Steve Vai doesn't seem to write out of emotion, imo anyways, but he does a hell of a job organizing a piece and making it appealing to the ear and flow smoothly. Some write because they wanna get famous and bang a lot of chicks.

What is the reason that you write music? Sometimes for me, its not always a release in emotion. Its just appealing to my ears and it gives me satisfaction to create. Other times I find inspiration in events in my life and I try to convey that into music.

Thoughts, comments? I'm just sick of people telling me that the virtuoso guitar players are jerk off artists. They don't seem to understand what I/we do.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 1
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
02/25/2007 5:38 am
some people find it more satisfying by writing lyrics and unleashing their emotions at the same time...at least i feel that way...then again, people's opinions vary all the time...but hey, whatever that floats ur boat i say...if u enjoy the music u enjoy, then who cares what other ppl say...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 2
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/25/2007 5:52 am
Lyrics are definitely a good vent imo. Straight forward and to the point. Perhaps I wouldn't have a problem with any of this if people kept saying what other kinds of music are crap....Just bothers me when people talk **** about my guys because its technically difficult.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/25/2007 7:43 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintI'm just sick of people telling me that the virtuoso guitar players are jerk off artists. They don't seem to understand what I/we do.

I don't like shred virtuoso music at all, but I wouldn't say it's not music. It's obviously a very skilled thing, I just don't find it interesting.

To me music is about chords going to the right place at the right time, if that makes sense. There are some chord changes in songs that just make me go "holy ****, now that is music."

Lyrics are important to me too. I like songs that are heavy on the rhyme scheme and aren't typical of anything else. The Dresden Dolls and the Tragically Hip are pretty much the best bands I can think of as far as lyrics go. I wish I could better describe what kind of lyrics I like, but it's tough.

Yeah, I don't know. It's a tough thing to explain. All I know is that some songs just strike me as amazing right off the bat, and that's what music is to me.
# 4
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/25/2007 7:47 am
I know exactly what you speak of when you say the "right" chord changes. One that got me the fist time I heard it was AIC's "Brother" on the unplugged album. Right when they drop in the chorus there, that first chord is so perfect, its beautiful.

I agree, good lyrics are a big plus. I don't always see them as necessary, but I've never found that they take away from the music. Only add to it.
# 5
polansky
polansky
02/25/2007 7:58 am
I guess music is all bout feeling, doesn't matter if you sing, play, perform, the bottom line is to make someone feel something.

I'm very into metal, for example the first time I saw Slipknot performing live in a DVD I felt the agression, even if they are not the better band in the world or very technicall band I felt something thru their preformance and liked that, my first concerte ever was Metallica and that concert marked my life forever.

On the other hand I got different feeling from SAtch, Vai, Petrucci, Hendrix, you name it, I'm a big fan of blues too, and blues is pure feeling.

Bottom line you can get so much from music, it can take you to some other time in your life or can make you do something you've never done before, you can find strenght on it or can make you vulnerable if you allow it, that's what makes music such a powerfull form of art.

If you can play 3000000 notes or just a couple... it doesn't matter, if it reaches you, misson acomplished.

I play cause someday I would love to give people what I get when I see a live performance, and I love to get what people gives to the performer, it's a win/win deal, how many things in thius world gives that chance?.... very few bro.

So to everybody... rock on.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 6
Vendetta.
Vendetta.
02/25/2007 8:01 am
Lyrics... especially if they relate to me. I just yell them out and let out all of my frustration.
"And if you want it bad, don't ever let it slip away..."

Guitar nublet.
# 7
acapella
acapella
02/25/2007 8:05 am
I think of music much the same way that I think of religion. One kind of music isn't any less valid to me as BEING music than another, even though personally, I may not like that style. Music doesn't even have to be intentional. Nature sounds like music to me sometimes. If music comes from your heart or is just something you're good at, that's still music to me.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 8
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/25/2007 1:21 pm
For me, it’s a combination of both music and lyrics. I can appreciate the manic speed and technical wizardry of a Satch or Via but when it comes time to put something on the CD player, it’s usually something with good lyrical content (but it’s got to be backed by good music or it’s pointless). Let’s put it this way, the one CD that seems to get played a lot around here is usually Bob Dylan’s ‘Blood on the Tracks’. Not a technically difficult album I suppose (I can’t play most of it myself yet) but that CD resonates through me. Always has and always will. I like to listen to the blues players too though for different reasons. I like the blues guys for the musicality of what they play. Like country, a lot of the lyrics are not terribly deep or profound but they elicit a response and that is what we want in music. A response. I would imagine that when Satch or Via play in front of an audience, they are looking for the same response that B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton or Jeff Beck are looking for. Heck, I imagine that even ‘The Knack’ was looking for that same thing. It’s the ‘goose bump’ response. You want to play to the point where the music makes an almost electric response run up the spine of the listener leaving ‘goose bumps’ in it’s wake. You want that response where the listener has an almost immediate and intense connection with the musician. Where the listener says to the person they’re with, or to himself, “Man, that song just blew me away…” I think that’s why.

Of course, I could just be full of it. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 9
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/25/2007 5:49 pm
Hunter, occasionally while listening to music and daydreaming of playing like my guitar god's, I get that goose-bump affect. I can't even imagine the high it must be to play in front of a huge crowd, where all eyes are on you, and your guitar so loud that its just screaming above everything. I hope to experience that one day.
# 10
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/27/2007 12:37 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintHunter, occasionally while listening to music and daydreaming of playing like my guitar god's, I get that goose-bump affect. I can't even imagine the high it must be to play in front of a huge crowd, where all eyes are on you, and your guitar so loud that its just screaming above everything. I hope to experience that one day.

I can imagine that it would be simply jaw-dropping to have that moment. Like Akira said in his post, rush=terrifying! I think I said somewhere that one of my goals is to play a few songs at church and do a set or two at a coffee shop hacking my way through some Prine, Townes Van Zandt and Dylan stuff. Maybe throw in some acoustic blues...yeah. I like the idea. Of course, even playing in front of my friends makes me nauseated so I can't imagine what I would be like in front of people who don't know me.

Hmm. Can you say 'ugly scene'? Me sitting in front of a crowd more interested in their soy latte's, sweating, heart pounding, giant pit stains spreading out on my shirt...voice cracking...and the proceeding to forget what little I know.

Maybe I need to rethink this? :o
# 11
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/27/2007 4:17 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60I can imagine that it would be simply jaw-dropping to have that moment. Like Akira said in his post, rush=terrifying! I think I said somewhere that one of my goals is to play a few songs at church and do a set or two at a coffee shop hacking my way through some Prine, Townes Van Zandt and Dylan stuff. Maybe throw in some acoustic blues...yeah. I like the idea. Of course, even playing in front of my friends makes me nauseated so I can't imagine what I would be like in front of people who don't know me.

Hmm. Can you say 'ugly scene'? Me sitting in front of a crowd more interested in their soy latte's, sweating, heart pounding, giant pit stains spreading out on my shirt...voice cracking...and the proceeding to forget what little I know.

No way, man. You only live once.

....unless you're Hindu.
# 12
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/27/2007 4:36 am
This is a great thread, it's extremely interesting to know what music means to people and why they like what they do!

For me, music is about capturing the imagination and stimulating the emotions. Some artists do it for me mainly through their lyrics, or mainly through their music, but my favourite bands are those who can really create vivid imagery and tap into emotions through a synthesis of both lyrics AND music.

As far as instrumental stuff goes, I find that jazz and fusion can capture my imagination really well, but there are fairly few instrumental rock guitarists who I like for this reason - in fact, Joe Satriani and Marty Friedman are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. I'd also mention John McLaughlin - except he's more a jazz-fusion player; John Scofield - ditto; Gary Moore - except he mostly plays blues, and he sings; David Gilmour - who also sings; and Jimi Hendrix - who's not instrumental at all, really more of a singer-songwriter with amazing ability on the electric guitar, his lyrics are one of the main reasons I like him.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 13
acapella
acapella
02/27/2007 4:40 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckNo way, man. You only live once.

....unless you're Hindu.

He's right. If you don't do it, you'll regret it (until you die, likely), even if you do screw up some. Besides, every time it gets easier. If you don't do it, I'll...cry. And you don't want that. Not on your hands.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 14
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
02/27/2007 5:19 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60I can imagine that it would be simply jaw-dropping to have that moment. Like Akira said in his post, rush=terrifying! I think I said somewhere that one of my goals is to play a few songs at church and do a set or two at a coffee shop hacking my way through some Prine, Townes Van Zandt and Dylan stuff. Maybe throw in some acoustic blues...yeah. I like the idea. Of course, even playing in front of my friends makes me nauseated so I can't imagine what I would be like in front of people who don't know me.

You know , i found it easier to play in front of 50-100 people i didnt know , than it was to play in front of 3 or 4 close friends

remember that the average listener wont notice little mistakes dont sweat the small stuff
# 15
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/27/2007 5:23 am
Originally Posted by: iceandhotwaxYou know , i found it easier to play in front of 50-100 people i didnt know , than it was to play in front of 3 or 4 close friends

remember that the average listener wont notice little mistakes dont sweat the small stuff

Yeah, I've heard that from multiple people. Wouldn't know for myself yet, but they say do to no particular person to focus on, its less pressure. I'm going to a school next year that has a big performance thingy twice a semester, so I'm gonna see if I can perhaps play some guitar for that.
# 16
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
02/27/2007 6:17 am
To me, Music is an ART! It's really emotional too. I admit that sometimes the harmonies of only 2 notes (just 2 notes) brings tears to my eyes; literally.

Call me a baby or whatever!!! But that's how music effects me.

Music which really takes me in is Classical and blues. I can name one piece 'Gavotte in E major' by JS Bach which has such dynamic colours and emotion to the piece. It's freakin unbelievable to me. Another would be Mozart.

And for me, composing and recording music is what I love. Haven't played live for a while, but I remember the feeling of playing live infront of 400-500 people. The vibes they give you when you played something great. It's an unbelievable feeling. I remember when I played keyboards for 'Eyefear' back in Australia years back, after the concert people, fans coming up to me, patting me on the back, wanting to talk me, etc. I was becoming popular in the progressive metal scene as a Keyboardist, which was weird, cos really im a guitarist. The feeling is awesome. Not to boast or anything, but just to share how music has changed my life. I admit, I'm a very shy person. But put me up on stage with some guitars and I change. Music somehow transforms me into a different person that people know who I am to be.

That's just the beauty of music, It's expressive, beautiful and most of all fun!!!
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 17
dvenetian
dvenetian
02/27/2007 7:44 am
For me, Music is the thing that allows for an escape from the daily grind of Business, relationships, etc........... It brings on a challenge to a personal level of creativity when playing and also takes you to a place when listening or going to see someone else play from their creative source. With so many different styles available to fit your personal tastes in music, you can choose what you want to hear and help in creating the mood you're feeling at the time. The beauty of music is that the same artist can allow you to hear something differently depending on how you listen to it from the mood you're in, whether it be Joe Walsh or Randy Rhoads.
Having been fortunate enough to see Randy Rhoads on the debut "Blizzard of Ozz" Long Beach Arena tour date, I was blown away and always hear his brilliant structure from different angles.
# 18
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
02/27/2007 11:32 am
music is a mistress, she takes you to places you never knew existed. and on occasion there is leather.... whips... and chains ... :D
# 19
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/27/2007 12:02 pm
Originally Posted by: iceandhotwaxmusic is a mistress, she takes you to places you never knew existed. and on occasion there is leather.... whips... and chains ... :D

If you're lucky ... and don't mind paying a little extra. :D
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.