anyone got vista????

Fret spider
Fret spider
02/22/2007 2:06 pm
hey i got a new pc reasontally and it has vista. which is a bit buggy. i was wondering if you guys new how to fix the following problems.

it wont let me re load firefox. i say re load cos i loaded it it worked i continued loadin drivers and stuff like that signed up to the windows with the key thingy. then it stopped workin. so i unistalled and tried to reinstall it. it wouldnt let me.

my friend sent me some videos, but when i open them in media player they only played the sound part of the file. i think i need something called a codec, but i dont know which ones are compatible with vista.

i cannot play the game rome total war which is about a year old. it wont load.

thanks for your guys time
# 1
ren
ren
02/22/2007 2:22 pm
I've got Vista on a PC, and as you've observed, very little works.

On codecs - what format are the files you're trying to play? From what you say, I reckon if you go to DivX.com you'll find what you're after.

On the installations, do you get errors? have you checked the eventlogs? If you can give me more info, I might be able to offer some advice.

It's no help to you now Spider, so I apologise for saying it, but Vista is just a nightmare and it's not worth using until MS have put out at least 1 service pack...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
halo71
halo71
02/22/2007 4:05 pm
Man, sorry to hear your problems you got. But Vista is just a crapshoot at the moment. No way I would have it. I would say it will probably be at least 2 years before I move to it. XP is the way to go at the moment.

But for those of you with XP and want the look of Vista. Google the following program, xenomorph_slim.exe. Its bascially a Vista theme for XP. Looks alot like Vista. Its a 38 mg download also.
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/22/2007 5:37 pm
That why I'm not going to upgrade to Vista. My next computer probably will be since by that time, it'll be useable.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
Fret spider
Fret spider
02/22/2007 6:46 pm
hmm i got it cos i was gettin a computor and i couldnt be bothered to buy xp then upgrade it later

the files are avi ones
# 5
acapella
acapella
02/22/2007 8:44 pm
From what I've read, they plan on replacing Vista in 2009. So you might as well wait until they have something better, or get a Mac. But seeing as you already have Vista...I dunno. Guess you're just screwed. :)
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 6
jt419oh
jt419oh
02/22/2007 9:47 pm
Originally Posted by: halo71Man, sorry to hear your problems you got. But Vista is just a crapshoot at the moment. No way I would have it. I would say it will probably be at least 2 years before I move to it. XP is the way to go at the moment.

But for those of you with XP and want the look of Vista. Google the following program, xenomorph_slim.exe. Its bascially a Vista theme for XP. Looks alot like Vista. Its a 38 mg download also.

Thanks for that link. I love that theme downloading as we speak. :)

Edit: Works great I like the dark theme stuff. Thats why I like media player 11 over 10 darker scheme.
# 7
ren
ren
02/23/2007 9:39 am
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderthe files are avi ones

Yeah, you should be able to get a codec from DivX.com - try here

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 8
halo71
halo71
02/23/2007 2:44 pm
Originally Posted by: jt419ohThanks for that link. I love that theme downloading as we speak. :)

Edit: Works great I like the dark theme stuff. Thats why I like media player 11 over 10 darker scheme.[/QUOTE]

You should try WinAmp, its way better than media player....IMO.

[QUOTE= acapella]From what I've read, they plan on replacing Vista in 2009. So you might as well wait until they have something better, or get a Mac. But seeing as you already have Vista...I dunno. Guess you're just screwed.

Wait 2 years for another POS operating system by M$?? lol....
# 9
Fret spider
Fret spider
02/24/2007 2:37 am
thanks ren your link worked i can now watch the files.

now just gotta sort out the other stuff
# 10
Bluegrasslimey
Bluegrasslimey
02/24/2007 6:36 am
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderhey i got a new pc reasontally and it has vista. which is a bit buggy. i was wondering if you guys new how to fix the following problems.

it wont let me re load firefox. i say re load cos i loaded it it worked i continued loadin drivers and stuff like that signed up to the windows with the key thingy. then it stopped workin. so i unistalled and tried to reinstall it. it wouldnt let me.

my friend sent me some videos, but when i open them in media player they only played the sound part of the file. i think i need something called a codec, but i dont know which ones are compatible with vista.

i cannot play the game rome total war which is about a year old. it wont load.

thanks for your guys time

Long Live XP. You could try auto updates. Pc's that come with vista pre installed are running the pre tweeked version. Win update may have a solution. Personally i am staying away from vista since it doesn't have backwards compatability that i know of. I think this is a microsoft money maker. at heatrow one of the airfreight hauliers upgraded to vista and everything crashed because nothing was comaptible to it. They went back to xp pro straight away.
:eek: [FONT=Century Gothic]Just groove, ya know ya wanna?????[/FONT] :eek:
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.