New Speaker

Drew77
Drew77
02/20/2007 7:36 pm
Hey guys, just wanted to check something. May seem like a dumb question.

I just bought a new speaker to replace the one I got. Alright first thing is that the place solder the wires to is on the "bottom" as in the words on the back are upside down when its in there. I am sure this doesn't matter but I have to concede to the fact that I don't know **** and that it could possibly matter. But I am almost sure it doesn't.

Anyway, second is about breaking it in. I just play loud for a couple of hours or what? is it a real sensitive time for the speaker or anything, Or should I just turn it up and play. I can do it in more than one sitting right? Also I live in a dorm room so... how loud am I gonna need to make it.

It's an 50 watt tube through a Eminence wizard. Am i gonna need to find some place on jam on it for a while. I may have never even broken in my old speaker considering the highest I have evr gotten the volume is 8 and that was for two seconds before I turned it down to a six to save my ears. I am really looking forward to turning this baby up though.

Is there a BIG difference in the sound after you break it in or is it one of those nit picky tone freak type things. I care about tone but sometimes I think people are just making **** up when they complain about tones, like its all in their head. But I am assuming that there is going to be a very noticable difference but since this is obviously my first time doing this I just don;t know what to expect I guess.
# 1
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
02/22/2007 8:37 pm
First, I'm assuming there is only a single speaker.

It makes no difference whatsoever if the lettering is upsidedown. If this bothers you you could always extend the speaker wires so you dont have to do this.

If there are mutiple speakers then it gets a bit more complex. You need to know the impedance of each speaker, and then depending on the load you amp needs to function properly, you wire it either parallel or in series. You also need to make sure the phase is correct. Most speakers will have their positive and negative terminals clearly marked. If you don't know a simple way is to simply discinnect the speaker and place a 9 volt battery across the two speaker leads. Make note of the direction the speaker cone moves. mark the leads according to the marks on the battery. Then do the other speaker. If the speaker cone moves in, mark the speaker the opposite of the batter markings.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.