Hand Tension

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/19/2007 3:14 pm
Quick question: When I first start playing, I have no real problems with hand tension on my left hand. But the longer I play, the tighter I end up gripping on the neck. Within 1/2 an hour or so, my left hand actually cramps up so I have to stop. I know I'm gripping too hard but I don't know how to unconsciously stop. Plus, it seems that I have to really push hard to get a clean tone from my barr chords. I don't think the action is too high.

Any ideas for this? How do I go about correcting this?
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
ren
ren
02/19/2007 3:48 pm
I don't think there is a way to unconsciously stop. Now you've noticed it, you'll have to keep an eye on it, and whenever you notice it happening, loosen up and try again.

It'll take a while, but eventually you'll be able to stop reminding yourself. As I say, I don't know of a magic answer for this - it's the same with any type of tension...

On the barre chords - are your fingers up nice and close behind the frets? That might help a bit... otherwise I'd suggest going back to basics - go slow and play one note at a time. Figure out where the buzz etc is and concentrate on that. I think everyone I know went through a period of playing where they held on so tight their fingertips went white. I'd suggest playing slow as I say, and seeing how much force is actually needed to fret the note.

Finally, does the buzz etc get worse / vanish at any point on the neck? just wondering if it could be the guitar rather than you...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/19/2007 6:12 pm
Originally Posted by: renI don't think there is a way to unconsciously stop. Now you've noticed it, you'll have to keep an eye on it, and whenever you notice it happening, loosen up and try again.

It'll take a while, but eventually you'll be able to stop reminding yourself. As I say, I don't know of a magic answer for this - it's the same with any type of tension...

On the barre chords - are your fingers up nice and close behind the frets? That might help a bit... otherwise I'd suggest going back to basics - go slow and play one note at a time. Figure out where the buzz etc is and concentrate on that. I think everyone I know went through a period of playing where they held on so tight their fingertips went white. I'd suggest playing slow as I say, and seeing how much force is actually needed to fret the note.

Finally, does the buzz etc get worse / vanish at any point on the neck? just wondering if it could be the guitar rather than you...

Thanks Ren. I will try to remind myself to be a little looser on the grip. Not sure why it gets worse as I go.

As far as the barr chords, well, I think that they are close up to the fret but I'll check tonight when I'm playing. Interesting note on the problem vanishing the higher up the neck. On my Ibanez, I don't notice the buzz nearly as often as on the el-cheapo I have. And on el-cheapo, it does seem to vanish once you get up near the 5th, 7th and beyond. I've lowered the action as much as I can and it does okay when hitting melody lines. Maybe the neck is bowed a bit and I never noticed it before?

Thanks again. I'll check on these tonight and let you know what I find.
# 3
Fret spider
Fret spider
02/19/2007 9:30 pm
play three notes over ad over again. but do this while watchin tv. dont concentrate too much on your hands. watching tv will hopefull make you more relaxed. if you can keep tis relaxation when you play seriusly it will help a lot.

his is what i did and it seemed to work.
# 4
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
02/20/2007 6:06 am
You should stretch you wrists,hands and fingers well prior to doing a relaxed warm up routine like running scales. Ive found this the be very useful. I learned it from a John Petrucci video.

You should do this every time your going to play anything more challenging than dicking around. ;)
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 5
UmphreyMcGuitar
UmphreyMcGuitar
02/20/2007 6:47 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60Quick question: When I first start playing, I have no real problems with hand tension on my left hand. But the longer I play, the tighter I end up gripping on the neck. Within 1/2 an hour or so, my left hand actually cramps up so I have to stop. I know I'm gripping too hard but I don't know how to unconsciously stop. Plus, it seems that I have to really push hard to get a clean tone from my barr chords. I don't think the action is too high.

Any ideas for this? How do I go about correcting this?

Hey man I know what your saying. My tension was due to what I call a ****ty guitar but that might not be your problem (start by going to your local music store and play a gibson sg and see if it seems easier) What you could try is to do is take your thumb off the neck and try making chords like that its hard but gives your thumb muscle some rest. Doesn't hurt to do some exercises either like pushing your thumb to your index finger then to your middle finger then ring and then pinky and repeat this will help build some muscle and stamina
# 6
ren
ren
02/20/2007 10:47 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60On my Ibanez, I don't notice the buzz nearly as often as on the el-cheapo I have. And on el-cheapo, it does seem to vanish once you get up near the 5th, 7th and beyond. I've lowered the action as much as I can and it does okay when hitting melody lines. Maybe the neck is bowed a bit and I never noticed it before?

Perhaps it's a little too low? You'll find you need to apply more pressure to fret the notes lower down the neck anyway, but if you've got the action a bit low the strings could buzz against the higher frets. Try cranking it back up and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you can fine tune it to get the best of both worlds...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 7
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/20/2007 12:15 pm
Originally Posted by: renPerhaps it's a little too low? You'll find you need to apply more pressure to fret the notes lower down the neck anyway, but if you've got the action a bit low the strings could buzz against the higher frets. Try cranking it back up and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you can fine tune it to get the best of both worlds...

Thanks Ren. Hadn't considered that. I'll take it back up a little tonight. Last night, I did consciously relax my left hand and it did go a little better. I think it's as much (if not more) a subconscious thing. I get so tense trying to hit it right that I just tense up. Kinda like martial arts. You're much faster and much more accurate when you're relaxed. Heck, I taught martial arts. I should know this stuff, right?

Great ideas Spider, Force and Umphrey. I will definetly incorporate them into my practice. I did try just picking the same three notes over and over for a while and I found it surprising, when you concentrate on it, how little force you actually need to make a note/chord ring out.

Thanks again. I will let you know how it works.

Ugh, such a loooong way to go.... :rolleyes:
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.