View post (Hand Tension)

View thread

UmphreyMcGuitar
UmphreyMcGuitar
02/20/2007 6:47 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60Quick question: When I first start playing, I have no real problems with hand tension on my left hand. But the longer I play, the tighter I end up gripping on the neck. Within 1/2 an hour or so, my left hand actually cramps up so I have to stop. I know I'm gripping too hard but I don't know how to unconsciously stop. Plus, it seems that I have to really push hard to get a clean tone from my barr chords. I don't think the action is too high.

Any ideas for this? How do I go about correcting this?

Hey man I know what your saying. My tension was due to what I call a ****ty guitar but that might not be your problem (start by going to your local music store and play a gibson sg and see if it seems easier) What you could try is to do is take your thumb off the neck and try making chords like that its hard but gives your thumb muscle some rest. Doesn't hurt to do some exercises either like pushing your thumb to your index finger then to your middle finger then ring and then pinky and repeat this will help build some muscle and stamina