View post (Hand Tension)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/20/2007 12:15 pm
Originally Posted by: renPerhaps it's a little too low? You'll find you need to apply more pressure to fret the notes lower down the neck anyway, but if you've got the action a bit low the strings could buzz against the higher frets. Try cranking it back up and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you can fine tune it to get the best of both worlds...

Thanks Ren. Hadn't considered that. I'll take it back up a little tonight. Last night, I did consciously relax my left hand and it did go a little better. I think it's as much (if not more) a subconscious thing. I get so tense trying to hit it right that I just tense up. Kinda like martial arts. You're much faster and much more accurate when you're relaxed. Heck, I taught martial arts. I should know this stuff, right?

Great ideas Spider, Force and Umphrey. I will definetly incorporate them into my practice. I did try just picking the same three notes over and over for a while and I found it surprising, when you concentrate on it, how little force you actually need to make a note/chord ring out.

Thanks again. I will let you know how it works.

Ugh, such a loooong way to go.... :rolleyes:
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]