Soloing over scales

SnowRose
SnowRose
02/07/2007 10:11 pm
Hi all, I'm trying to strengthen my music theory in soloing over scales, especially at my church where I play for Sunday Worship.
If the notes in C Major = A minor
What is the equivalent to C Blues Scale?
# 1
dvenetian
dvenetian
02/08/2007 4:03 am
Originally Posted by: SnowRoseHi all, I'm trying to strengthen my music theory in soloing over scales, especially at my church where I play for Sunday Worship.

Eb Major. The Relative minor to a Major scale comes from the 6th interval of the Major scale.
Example: Eb Major scale = Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-C-D
The C Blues scale - C-Eb-F-Gb-G-Bb
The Gb is considered a passing tone and is noted as a b5 in the C Blues Scale.
# 2
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
02/08/2007 5:47 am
Not sure if this will be helpful or just confusing, but similarly you can quickly find the notes of any major scale using the Circle of Fifths.
Note that the 6th interval for the relative minor will always be at a 90 degree right angle (clockwise) to the Major root chord. So for Eb major, it's relative minor is C. Or to find another...for B major, it's relative minor is Ab. And obviously, if you're starting with the minor, to find the relative major, go counterclockwise 90 degrees.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/08/2007 3:15 pm
Originally Posted by: SnowRoseHi all, I'm trying to strengthen my music theory in soloing over scales, especially at my church where I play for Sunday Worship.

Ok, I always find this a sensitive subject to handle, because if it comes across the wrong way, it can throw off your entire sense of music theory.

C major has the same notes as A minor, yes, but they're not the same scale. Let's say someone's playing a C major progression. If you play the licks you normally solo with in A minor, they're going to sound very strange and out of place because they emphasize notes which one would not normally emphasize in C major. Understand?

It seems you do, since you phrased it "The notes in C major = A minor," which is great because normally people say "C major = A minor," which is not true.

C Blues, I assume you mean C-Eb-F-Gb-G-Bb-C, the minor pentatonic plus that flat fifth? It's actually the relative minor of (aka same notes as), I believe, the Eb Major blues scale, Eb-F-Gb-G-Bb-C-Eb.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/09/2007 7:26 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonC major has the same notes as A minor, yes, but they're not the same scale.[/quote]
Excellent point.
[QUOTE=Jolly McJollyson]Let's say someone's playing a C major progression. If you play the licks you normally solo with in A minor, they're going to sound very strange and out of place because they emphasize notes which one would not normally emphasize in C major.

Dude, this sentence nails it.

I've heard this at least a million times. It's painfully obvious that such a solo sounds like someone that knows a fretboard pattern yet has NO CLUE what a scale or a chord is.

You actually can use the exact same licks and patterns in different contexts but you really need to be aware of the scale degrees.

C Pentatonic major:
1st - C
2nd - D
3rd - E
(no 4th)
5th - G
6th - A
(no 7th)

A Pentatonic minor:
1st - A
(no 2nd)
3rd - C
4th - D
5th - E
(no 6th)
7th - G

Adding the E-flat is a minor 3rd in C major and a flat 5th in A minor. Some people call this the "blues scale", some call it a "hexatonic blues scale" (because it has 6 notes of course).

Consider this classic "blues-pentatonic lick":

|------------5--------------------------|
|---------5-----5--8-b-(10)-------------|
|-5-b-(7)-------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------|

Bending that G up to A at the end sounds great if you are playing chord with an A in it, or a part of the melody that exphasizes an A. But if you are playing in C major and doing this over a C major chord, it's like "Huh?" LOL.

On the other hand if you are in C major but an F major (the IV chord) comes around, this can be a great, tasty sounding choice - because the F major chord has an A in it!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/09/2007 7:35 pm
blah... I think totally oposite than this way of thinking.
I make up a melody in my head that fits the music and then just use the scales to find an easy way to get around the fretboard.
The idea of using scales to make up leads to me just ends up making all your leads sound like a bunch of scales.

Why don't you guys just hum a melody to the background music and then find the notes.. then you can use your knowledge of scales to find the best finger positions?
# 6
Drew77
Drew77
02/10/2007 12:14 am
how about progressions though. Shoul I change the note I emphasis which with the chord changes? like if I am playing over an E-A-B progression I could play E major pentatonic and just change the notes I emphasis with the chords that are played?

I have always kinda had a hunch that this is wat yu should do but what about soloing over complex and fast progressions that change key? Maybe it's just casue my ear still isn't great that I think it would be extremely difficult to play over these, maybe it actually is.

BTW I don't ever get to play with other ppl, but last night I got to jam with another guitarist for the first time, I have only really jammed once with aother person and he was a keyboardist and I was in way over my head. but last night was fun i just gotta get better at playing with others. :)
# 7
dvenetian
dvenetian
02/10/2007 3:32 am
Originally Posted by: Drew77how about progressions though. Shoul I change the note I emphasis which with the chord changes? like if I am playing over an E-A-B progression I could play E major pentatonic and just change the notes I emphasis with the chords that are played?

I have always kinda had a hunch that this is wat yu should do but what about soloing over complex and fast progressions that change key? Maybe it's just casue my ear still isn't great that I think it would be extremely difficult to play over these, maybe it actually is.

The reason you're finding this progression difficult with pentatonic scales is that E minor pentatonic is a better fit because the A chord is not in the E Major pentatonic scale. To play the E minor pentatonic scale over your E-A-B progression, the chords would be played as minor chords because the are Perfect Intervals and perfect follows perfect (Em-Am-Bm).
If you wanted to play E-A-B as a Major progression with the emphasis on E you could play the E Ionian mode (E Major Scale).
# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2007 3:23 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeblah... I think totally oposite than this way of thinking.
[/quote]
LOL. Fair enough. But...
Originally Posted by: schmangeI make up a melody in my head that fits the music and then just use the scales to find an easy way to get around the fretboard.
[/quote]
Yes, I do that also. But I think the point here is there is a time while learning guitar that you can't just pick up a guitar and play what you hear.

The problem for many beginners is even if they can "hear a melody, lick or solo in their head" they just don't know what the scale degrees are that they are trying to play. And they don't know how to accomplish what they want to hear because they don't know how those scale degrees form patterns on the fretboard.
[QUOTE=schmange]The idea of using scales to make up leads to me just ends up making all your leads sound like a bunch of scales.

There is always that danger, of course. Walk into any music store on Saturday morning & instead of guitarists playing melodic ideas it sounds like the "World of Scales".

But again, learning and running scales is like working out. A heathy idea to prepare for playing music. If it becomes an end in itself, then the music will of course suffer.
[QUOTE=schmange]Why don't you guys just hum a melody to the background music and then find the notes.. then you can use your knowledge of scales to find the best finger positions?

But this is just two different ways of approaching the problem. What if you are unable to think of anything new or satisfying? Why not try to play the scale degrees that fit the chords or melody of the tune to find out if you can come up with something new you might not have thought of before?

I still use both approaches. Obviously since I've played for so long I more frequently know what I am after and just play what I want to hear. You (Kevin) are a very experienced, talented player that has already built up a lifetime of knowledge about guitar and music. But I try to remember there is a time for beginners before they have that acquired knowledge. And as teachers we have to think about how to get them to that level.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2007 3:32 pm
Originally Posted by: dvenetianIf you wanted to play E-A-B as a Major progression with the emphasis on E you could play the E Ionian mode (E Major Scale).

Exactly. Good point.

Never miss or forget the obvious! If you are in E major ... then play in E major! :)

To try and address a little of this I created a new theory tutorial on how to use pentatonic shapes to learn the scale degrees:
Pentatonic Scales Lessons

Hope this helps someone out there.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2007 3:59 pm
>> But I try to remember there is a time for beginners before they have >>that acquired knowledge. And as teachers we have to think about how to >>get them to that level.

Yeah, I agree. I guess it's just that for about the first 15 years I played, I did everything by ear. Didn't have a clue how to play scales... didn't know the names of chords.... didn't even know how to read tab until I started posting at GuitarTricks. It seems like some students want instant answers.
Like .. "What notes do you play over these chords?"
I feel like saying "Any notes you want as long as they sound good... just screw around for a few days and come up with something. Music is about feeling things, not doing math"

It's kinda like, when I was a beginner, there was very little information available about how to play guitar. You couldn't afford to buy books or take lessons so you either figured it out for yourself or you were out of luck.
The good thing about that was that it forced you to develop your listening skills and use your own intelligence to figure out how to play things.

When students have everything spelled out for them, I think they lose out in the long run. They develop their reading and math skills, but their natural musical abilities take a back seat because they expect instant answers.
# 11
solidwalnut
solidwalnut
02/12/2007 5:26 pm

Hi SnowRose--

Please tell us how long you've been playing so you can get some specific answers.

My first instinct to say is to remember that the notes come from chords. Don't think of soloing and using scales as something separate from them. Begin by recognizing the 1, 3 and 5 notes of the chord structure. Take the open C chord. The first scale degree note will be the C found in the third fret of the A string. The third scale degree is the E note, found in the second fret of the D string. The fifth scale degree note is the G note, which can be played with the open G string. At this point, concentrate on knowing where the 1, 3 and 5 are only. You'll figure out the rest in due time when you have these anchors down.

Ok, that's the beginning of the mechanical and theory part of it all. To begin soloing, start simple. Think melody. Some of the best solos out there remind you of someone singing.

When thinking about which notes to use, you can get deep into theory and find a large pool of possible notes to play. This doesn't mean you have to play all of them. They are but tools available. Do yourself a huge favor and begin by practicing and understanding the major scale and the intervals thereof. All other scales come from this.

When thinking about soloing, think about finding the 1, 3 and 5 notes of the chord of the moment. So if you're playing a song like Shout to the Lord in the key of D major, think of finding the 1, 3 and 5 in the key of D major (D, E, F#) and then think about playing the melody notes of either the verse or the chorus (depending on which section you're playing over). Verse: 3, 4, 5, 7, 1, 2 Chorus: 8, 8, 7, 8, 8, 7, 8, 8, 7, 6 (the 1 and 8 are interchangeable. The 8 would mean one ocave above the 1).

If any of this is confusing to you, start at the beginning. Learn the components of the major scale.

But use and develop your ear to tell you what to play.

Forgive me if this stuff is too basic, but I hope that it helps.

Have fun,

Steve
Steve Cass / ASCAP
Life's too short. Play hard!
# 12
dvenetian
dvenetian
02/12/2007 11:32 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelExactly. Good point.

Never miss or forget the obvious! If you are in E major ... then play in E major! :)

To try and address a little of this I created a new theory tutorial on how to use pentatonic shapes to learn the scale degrees:
Pentatonic Scales Lessons

Hope this helps someone out there.

Great link!!!!
With all due respect, there is a typo where the Am scale degrees are noted (Leave out the 2nd and 5th degrees) and I'm sure you meant the 2nd and 6th degrees. Just wanted to bring it to your attention so you can make the adjustment. Great tutorial!!!!!!
# 13
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/13/2007 1:18 am
Originally Posted by: dvenetianGreat link!!!![/quote]
Thanks! From what I've seen so far, dvenetian, you already know this type of stuff. So, I appreciate your favorable feedback.
[QUOTE=dvenetian]
With all due respect, there is a typo where the Am scale degrees are noted (Leave out the 2nd and 5th degrees) and I'm sure you meant the 2nd and 6th degrees. Just wanted to bring it to your attention so you can make the adjustment.

Ah ha! An eagle eye proofreader, too! I fixed it. Thanks sincerely for taking the time to point out my error.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 14
dvenetian
dvenetian
02/13/2007 6:02 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelThanks! From what I've seen so far, dvenetian, you already know this type of stuff. So, I appreciate your favorable feedback.

Ah ha! An eagle eye proofreader, too! I fixed it. Thanks sincerely for taking the time to point out my error.

Glad to help out. It happens to all of us now and then.
# 15

02/13/2007 12:24 pm
I can only speak for myself but I've been trying these past years to have the best of both worlds.

When I create a song, and I'm all alone with my guitar I'll forget theory and just play by feel. Mostly because I wanna get that special phrasing that makes me sounds like me. I'll do that as much as possible up until I get stuck and can't figure out what to play. Then I'll fall back to theory and try to understand what the rhythm/melody is doing and try to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'll jam using scales to, and that might sound weird lol, know where to go on the fretboard. I'm a very visual person and forget just about any name of scales but I see many "shapes" on the fretboard. I have to constantly go back and relearn the scales name. I might actually have a learning disorder, I always have struggled in school as a kid. That makes it a little harder to teach but made me approach the fretboard a different way.

I think the best approach a student might have is to also understand the why and not only the what. Knowing scales is great but understanding them is even better. Like the old saying goes "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". But we all have to start somewhere, we all had to learn chords by heart before starting to understand how they are built.
# 16
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/13/2007 4:33 pm
I don't think it's so much a learning disorder as it is a prevelance by society to reward 'visual' and 'memory' types of learning.
^^^^ huh?

I had the same problem in school. Everything was based on learning names, memorizing things and visually watching a teacher show you how something worked. I'd fail miserably cause I'd just naturally rebell against using names that people had made up for things
(stamin?? ..it's the pointy thing on a flower... who's the dummy that came up with name stamin?) I prefered reading books and finding things out for myself. I learned things by naturally understanding a topic as a whole, rather than breaking it down into memorizing small parts of it.

Unfortunately, the education system is geared towards rewarding the visually oriented type of person and failing people who think more artistically.

Anyways... I just think different people learn in different ways.
That's why some students can just naturally pick up on music while others can't even understand basic rhythm patterns.
Some of them 'get' music just by listening to it. They don't understand the mechanics of how it works, but they can figure out for themselves what sounds right and what doesn't even when they're still kids.
Others are more visually oriented... they need it spelled out for them and almost need a mathematical equation in order to figure it out.

I guess the best of both worlds is the person who can learn both ways... however I can only comment on my own personal experience and say that I'm glad I didn't learn any theory until much later. I definitely believe it gave me a deeper understanding of music because it forced me to try things that most students are discouraged from doing simply because their teachers think that it would be too confusing to them to stray from the assigned topics. I was forced into many more years of trial and error, experimentation and listening and feeling rather than reading and copying.
# 17
PlatonicShred
PlatonicShred
02/13/2007 8:22 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeI don't think it's so much a learning disorder as it is a prevelance by society to reward 'visual' and 'memory' types of learning.
^^^^ huh?

I had the same problem in school. Everything was based on learning names, memorizing things and visually watching a teacher show you how something worked. I'd fail miserably cause I'd just naturally rebell against using names that people had made up for things
(stamin?? ..it's the pointy thing on a flower... who's the dummy that came up with name stamin?) I prefered reading books and finding things out for myself. I learned things by naturally understanding a topic as a whole, rather than breaking it down into memorizing small parts of it.

Unfortunately, the education system is geared towards rewarding the visually oriented type of person and failing people who think more artistically.

Anyways... I just think different people learn in different ways.
That's why some students can just naturally pick up on music while others can't even understand basic rhythm patterns.
Some of them 'get' music just by listening to it. They don't understand the mechanics of how it works, but they can figure out for themselves what sounds right and what doesn't even when they're still kids.
Others are more visually oriented... they need it spelled out for them and almost need a mathematical equation in order to figure it out.

I guess the best of both worlds is the person who can learn both ways... however I can only comment on my own personal experience and say that I'm glad I didn't learn any theory until much later. I definitely believe it gave me a deeper understanding of music because it forced me to try things that most students are discouraged from doing simply because their teachers think that it would be too confusing to them to stray from the assigned topics. I was forced into many more years of trial and error, experimentation and listening and feeling rather than reading and copying.

I think it's absolutely necessary to know your instrument and the theory behind it. Perhaps you do not have to know every little niche' and detail, but a passing knowledge of theory is what makes you a musician---not someone who noodles for hours on end.

Learning with a teacher or with a book, or even just attempting to teach yourself music theory is far superior than just 'doing it by ear.' The reason isn't because your ear and aural skills aren't important, it's just that they are only half the package.

People who tend to take the 'I will just learn this on my own without any outside help besides my ears' approach usually develop bad habits, such as, but not limited to---looking at their fret hand while playing, and limiting themselves to what they know and never able to venture outside of that on a whim because they don't know how to get the new sound.

Whenever I first started at Berklee I was like that. I knew some music theory--just enough to fake my way through most things in a pinch--but not much. As time has gone on, however, I realize why it's so valuable.

Most anything I hear in my head now I can play on a whim, and now that I've practiced all these scales and arpeggios to the point of nausea---I don't have to look at my fret hand nor put much thought into 'how am I going to play this melody in my head.' Instead, I can sit back, let my fingers do the work and listen to the musicians around me.

So, in effect, all these scales, modes, arpeggios, etc. have been learned so that I could FULLY realize the potential of my ear.

Muscle memory, at day's end, is what carries the day in terms of translating what you hear into actual notes.
Back In Black isn't a song. It's a divine call that gets channeled through five righteous dudes every thousand years or so. That's why dragons and sea monsters don't exist anymore.
# 18
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/13/2007 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: PlatonicShredI think it's absolutely necessary to know your instrument and the theory behind it. Perhaps you do not have to know every little niche' and detail, but a passing knowledge of theory is what makes you a musician---not someone who noodles for hours on end.

Learning with a teacher or with a book, or even just attempting to teach yourself music theory is far superior than just 'doing it by ear.' The reason isn't because your ear and aural skills aren't important, it's just that they are only half the package.

People who tend to take the 'I will just learn this on my own without any outside help besides my ears' approach usually develop bad habits, such as, but not limited to---looking at their fret hand while playing, and limiting themselves to what they know and never able to venture outside of that on a whim because they don't know how to get the new sound.

Whenever I first started at Berklee I was like that. I knew some music theory--just enough to fake my way through most things in a pinch--but not much. As time has gone on, however, I realize why it's so valuable.

Most anything I hear in my head now I can play on a whim, and now that I've practiced all these scales and arpeggios to the point of nausea---I don't have to look at my fret hand nor put much thought into 'how am I going to play this melody in my head.' Instead, I can sit back, let my fingers do the work and listen to the musicians around me.

So, in effect, all these scales, modes, arpeggios, etc. have been learned so that I could FULLY realize the potential of my ear.

Muscle memory, at day's end, is what carries the day in terms of translating what you hear into actual notes.

Just outa curiosity, do you have any recordings of your own music that we can listen to?
I'm curious to compare our playing ability and see what differences there are in terms of feel and technique coming from the two totally opposite points of view on this subject. I've been playing about 20 years and except for maybe 4 lessons about 10 years ago, I'm completely self taught... didn't even know how to read tab until about 5 years ago.
It'd be a rush to hear somebody who's had formal training in theory and compare the two.
# 19
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
02/13/2007 9:42 pm
My explaination of music theory will be (as everything I try and explain
0 by way of analogy. It's important to know theory to make music in the the same way it's important to have a sound basis of mechanical engineering in order to build a bridge. In other words only be posessing a thorough understanding of the underlying theory, can you then break those rules.

Not sure this makes any sense but ot me it does :D
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.