Battle of the Bands Audition

guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
01/12/2007 2:08 am
On Monday we are auditioning for battle of the bands at the other guitarist's school. We played band night at my school and it went pretty good. We were the only freshmen band, so it didn't really matter if we were amazing, but we did good I think. We have a couple new songs, they are kind of weak so far though, we just need to tighten up a little. Last time we weren't sounding overly great at practice, but at the real thing we played better than we ever had before. Anyways, I'm really hoping we make the audition, and than practice as hard as we can until the show. There is sometimes a conflict of the type of music, for example, sometimes I'll want to play a straight up hard rock/blues jam type thing, but the drummer is more into softer music, so far it is working out though.

Also, this is the first time I've been in a band with my good friends instead of random people, and I like it a lot better.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
01/12/2007 5:41 am
Best of luck! Hope you make it.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
BLS33
BLS33
01/12/2007 7:13 pm
First off good luck, secondly all bands will clash a little bit as far as what type of music the different members want to play, as long as you comprimise every now and then it should be fine.
# 3
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
01/12/2007 7:23 pm
thanks!, I will let you know how the audition goes, we are practicing this weekend
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

# 4
Bluegrasslimey
Bluegrasslimey
01/13/2007 8:32 am
Originally Posted by: guitarfreak141On Monday we are auditioning for battle of the bands at the other guitarist's school. We played band night at my school and it went pretty good. We were the only freshmen band, so it didn't really matter if we were amazing, but we did good I think. We have a couple new songs, they are kind of weak so far though, we just need to tighten up a little. Last time we weren't sounding overly great at practice, but at the real thing we played better than we ever had before. Anyways, I'm really hoping we make the audition, and than practice as hard as we can until the show. There is sometimes a conflict of the type of music, for example, sometimes I'll want to play a straight up hard rock/blues jam type thing, but the drummer is more into softer music, so far it is working out though.

Also, this is the first time I've been in a band with my good friends instead of random people, and I like it a lot better.

Dood you got a good thing here. Having musicians with different influences is great. The thing is you can get around the differences by mixing these influences. IE your drummer can play a laid back beat giving you tempo and the other musicians can work to it. your bassist can play a walking bass line giving you an option to rock or blues it the rhythm guitar can put jazz chords over the top of that and you can add alittle overdrive and make your axe sing. This way each member of the band will pick up these influences and a new sound is born. Have fun experimenting and look at all sides of the band during discussion sessions. you'll soon find common ground to work with and get creative.

Good luck and have fun
:eek: [FONT=Century Gothic]Just groove, ya know ya wanna?????[/FONT] :eek:
# 5
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
01/16/2007 10:11 pm
thanks for the advice. I think the audition went pretty good. We weren't the best, but we weren't the worst. Though we were definetely better than the only other freshmen band. This was at the other guitarist's school and they were supposed to post the finalsits today, so I'm trying to call him. His phone line is busy......

# 6
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
01/16/2007 10:21 pm
ah, we didn't make it. Possibly because we're instrumental and they were scoring on lyrics. This one really horrible screamo band made it though. They were just intolerable IMO.

# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/17/2007 1:22 am
That's just what I was gonna suggest. I've been to a few of those things and the bands that usually win either have a ton of friends in the audience and you're rated by applause. Or, they pick the singer who jumps around the stage the most, acting like an idiot, and screaming his head off.

I stopped entering those things about 10 years ago after our "SkyDoom" debacle.
We were finalists in the Battle of the Bands at the Hard Rock Cafe in the Skydome.
Everything was run using MIDI back then with the drummer keeping time with a click track.
First the computer wouldn't boot up. Then the bass amp wouldn't work. It was so hot, I was literally dripping with sweat. We had to cut out all our best songs because they were all 'synth' tunes done on the computer.

The first band goes up and the audience goes absolutely nuts. We're thinking, hey...this is gonna be great anyways.
They finish and as they come off the stage and we're getting up to go on, literally 3/4 of the audience gets up from their seats and walks away. About 75 friends of the band. There's a few people left sitting in the audience who stayed to hear us and they're all making rude comments after every song and no applause.
After we finished, the entire audience comes back and sits down again.

Needless to say, we lost because the contest was judged based on audience applause.
All I got for two weeks of rehearsals and lugging our equipment to Toronto and back was an 'I Jammed at the Dome' button.
# 8
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
01/17/2007 2:32 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeThat's just what I was gonna suggest. I've been to a few of those things and the bands that usually win either have a ton of friends in the audience and you're rated by applause. Or, they pick the singer who jumps around the stage the most, acting like an idiot, and screaming his head off.

I stopped entering those things about 10 years ago after our "SkyDoom" debacle.
We were finalists in the Battle of the Bands at the Hard Rock Cafe in the Skydome.
Everything was run using MIDI back then with the drummer keeping time with a click track.
First the computer wouldn't boot up. Then the bass amp wouldn't work. It was so hot, I was literally dripping with sweat. We had to cut out all our best songs because they were all 'synth' tunes done on the computer.

The first band goes up and the audience goes absolutely nuts. We're thinking, hey...this is gonna be great anyways.
They finish and as they come off the stage and we're getting up to go on, literally 3/4 of the audience gets up from their seats and walks away. About 75 friends of the band. There's a few people left sitting in the audience who stayed to hear us and they're all making rude comments after every song and no applause.
After we finished, the entire audience comes back and sits down again.

Needless to say, we lost because the contest was judged based on audience applause.
All I got for two weeks of rehearsals and lugging our equipment to Toronto and back was an 'I Jammed at the Dome' button.

Wow, that sucks, and your music is actually really good.

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.