(semi urgent) is this a deal?

Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
01/09/2007 2:59 am
okay i found a Yamaha AW2816 its a 16 track recorder with 8 inputs they are TRS and there are 2 XLR imputs with phantom power. It will cost 500 canadian plus tax.
Is this a good unit to record with and is it valuable.
Our band has discussed going into a studio and i just dont see the point in going to record songs for so much money.
thanks for your replies

http://emusician.com/daw/emusic_yamaha_aw/
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/09/2007 4:31 am
Yes and no... maybe and it depends.
It's definitely worth it to record yourself compared to spending the money in a studio. However, don't forget there's a huge learning curve before you can record yourself well. Don't forget too that studios have tons of outboard processing gear for mixdown, really good mics and headphones etc...
# 2
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
01/09/2007 4:35 am
yea ive decided that ill record on my own ive had experiences with recording but i just want to know if this unit is a good value and quality because it is used but yea.
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/09/2007 10:57 am
Didn't have a chance to go through all of the product info, can you transfer recorded tracks individually to pc or mac? XLR inputs with phantom power are very handy, that the one thing I don't have between my Mackie HUI and Delta interface - I had to get a little phantom converter unit.
There are limited things you can do with 8 tracks, unless you can bounce down, but for a band a unit like that would be pretty cool for making demos and capturing moments. I would see that unit as being great for getting you to the stage that when you go to a pro studio you will get the max out of your sessions. If it was me though, I would probably look to get an interface like the Delta 1010 (but one that also has XLR's) that I could hook up to a good laptop and interface it with Reaper (free to download and as good as Pro-Tools) for recording and mixing. That would give you a lot more freedom for double tracking, mixing, editing and mastering - plus you would pick up invaluable engineering skills. BUT the learning curve would be even steaper.
If you are ll buying it together, then you might as well take a vote on what you want to get out of the unit. You would probably be more able to make a professional quality recording using a high quality muti-in soundcard into a laptop with recording/mixing software as opposed to a self contained portable recorder. I could be wrong though, I'm not familiar with this particular piece of gear. Let us know what you decide to do.
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
01/09/2007 5:17 pm
I agree with everyone that's posted so far...

Like Schmange said... It could depend. A lot of people get bright eyes when they look at a good recording unit and see a good price... You have to remember that the recording unit is only as good as the stuff that you plug into it. So don't forget the cost of some decent mic's... About the best way to go would be some Shure SM-58's and the Shure instrument mic versions of those mic's they're really versatile. They make great stage mic's as well as recording mics... The nice thing about a recording unit like that is that it's a one time cost... With studio time you have to continually spend money... With that unit you can fiddle around as much as you want and mix your songs just hte way you want without having to make the judgement call of whether you want to spend the money on another hour in the studio because one part of the song just doesn't sound right. It's a reaaaaally good tool for bands as a whole to be able to record and rough mix their own demos. It will also help you hear your band as a whole. I use my recording units as a practice tool where me and my bandmates will record live tracks and we can listen back and see what needs to change... It helps with timing issues as well as helps you learn how to set up your gear so that you can hear everyone... It's great experience and a great tool. I would say go for it. In the long run the investment will out weigh the money that you would spend.
# 5
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
01/12/2007 12:21 am
Alright i've been raising funds within the band and i got $235 my drummer put in 5$ other guitarist put 35 our bassist is supposed t oput in 50 and then im, gonna borrow the rest from my bro and i should be getting it this saturday.but plenty could go wrong, wish me luck ill write back again when its all over
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/12/2007 2:56 pm
Just be aware of the eventuality of the band breaking up someday.
A band I was in back in 1991 decided to invest in a mixing board, lights, a sound tech, a new keyboard, a Mac and a whole bunch of new equipment including buying a recording studio.

Things went great for about 8 months until everybody got discouraged cause we couldn't get gigs.

One night we blew up and got into a big argument and spent the next week deciding who owned what equipment. We sat down for 3 days doing paperwork to decide who got what.

It was pretty scary for a while until we worked it out on paper and basically walked away with what we contributed. Althought it was kinda scary for awhile cause we jointly owned a recording studio and had to decide what to do with it.

Get everything in writing and notorized by a lawyer.
# 7
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
01/13/2007 2:46 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeJust be aware of the eventuality of the band breaking up someday.
A band I was in back in 1991 decided to invest in a mixing board, lights, a sound tech, a new keyboard, a Mac and a whole bunch of new equipment including buying a recording studio.

Things went great for about 8 months until everybody got discouraged cause we couldn't get gigs.

One night we blew up and got into a big argument and spent the next week deciding who owned what equipment. We sat down for 3 days doing paperwork to decide who got what.

It was pretty scary for a while until we worked it out on paper and basically walked away with what we contributed. Althought it was kinda scary for awhile cause we jointly owned a recording studio and had to decide what to do with it.

Get everything in writing and notorized by a lawyer.

I was meaning to mention, at some point i'll be paying these guys back maybe minus some labour for the recording( yes im cheap)but not much probably only 10-20 $ from each of them but it will end up as mine. Which all works out because I will then be able to record solo work.

But thanks for the advice because i was thinking about going all ways on other stuff but ill try to stay away.

P.S. I am going to the store tommorow to buy it
# 8
Bluegrasslimey
Bluegrasslimey
01/13/2007 7:37 am
Originally Posted by: Poontang_clanokay i found a Yamaha AW2816 its a 16 track recorder with 8 inputs they are TRS and there are 2 XLR imputs with phantom power. It will cost 500 canadian plus tax.
Is this a good unit to record with and is it valuable.
Our band has discussed going into a studio and i just dont see the point in going to record songs for so much money.
thanks for your replies

http://emusician.com/daw/emusic_yamaha_aw/

I am not familiar with this unit and it depends where you are going to record. I personally use a Digitech GNX4 straight in to my pc The difficulty will be getting the levels right I assume you will have some one to monitor this if you are recording as a band. If this is for home recording on your own then go for the GNX and route it in to your pc with the supplied cable. For band recording the the multitrack is best. see if there is a way of transfering the music to a pc in .wav format for editing. If you can then transfer each track individually and get something like music maker by magix to import the tracks in to so you can get a good ballance. you may even be able to root the sound output from the pc back through the reorder. Whatever happens it would pay to mix on a pc and then burn on to cd, so when hawking your stuff around for gigs etc it will be easier to play snapshots of your stuff to potential clients
:eek: [FONT=Century Gothic]Just groove, ya know ya wanna?????[/FONT] :eek:
# 9
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
01/14/2007 5:01 am
Okay the deal is done and the music store held something different for me. when i went to purchase this yamaha unit it wasnt working, because it was on consignment the store didnt care to check it out.

So I looked around, I found a soundcraft Spirit Folio 12-2 mixer with 8 mono XLR inputs and 2 stereo inputs, it has EQ and panning and all that. I thought I would Just put the drum mics in and send it to my computer and record it It was only $150 canadian.

So I had alot of money to kill and a guitar caught my eye a 7 string B.C. Rich warlock in the past my Rich experience had been bad but i tryed it out and it was great. It waas only $300 because there was a big dent in the back but you rarely ever see it and I couldn't pass it up.

Overall A Great day
# 10
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/14/2007 2:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Poontang_clanOkay the deal is done and the music store held something different for me. when i went to purchase this yamaha unit it wasnt working, because it was on consignment the store didnt care to check it out.

So I looked around, I found a soundcraft Spirit Folio 12-2 mixer with 8 mono XLR inputs and 2 stereo inputs, it has EQ and panning and all that. I thought I would Just put the drum mics in and send it to my computer and record it It was only $150 canadian.

So I had alot of money to kill and a guitar caught my eye a 7 string B.C. Rich warlock in the past my Rich experience had been bad but i tryed it out and it was great. It waas only $300 because there was a big dent in the back but you rarely ever see it and I couldn't pass it up.

Overall A Great day

That's a far better buy IMO!
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.