View post ((semi urgent) is this a deal?)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
01/09/2007 5:17 pm
I agree with everyone that's posted so far...

Like Schmange said... It could depend. A lot of people get bright eyes when they look at a good recording unit and see a good price... You have to remember that the recording unit is only as good as the stuff that you plug into it. So don't forget the cost of some decent mic's... About the best way to go would be some Shure SM-58's and the Shure instrument mic versions of those mic's they're really versatile. They make great stage mic's as well as recording mics... The nice thing about a recording unit like that is that it's a one time cost... With studio time you have to continually spend money... With that unit you can fiddle around as much as you want and mix your songs just hte way you want without having to make the judgement call of whether you want to spend the money on another hour in the studio because one part of the song just doesn't sound right. It's a reaaaaally good tool for bands as a whole to be able to record and rough mix their own demos. It will also help you hear your band as a whole. I use my recording units as a practice tool where me and my bandmates will record live tracks and we can listen back and see what needs to change... It helps with timing issues as well as helps you learn how to set up your gear so that you can hear everyone... It's great experience and a great tool. I would say go for it. In the long run the investment will out weigh the money that you would spend.