As a traveling musician, we sometimes take the wrong road...

Joseph
Joseph
09/14/2001 4:07 am
Music is our first love, in more ways than one. However, as human beings we constantly search for that one person who are we are compatible with. That one person that we can always count on, someone that we unconditinally love., However, it's very difficult to maintain a strong relationship when that person you love doesn't necessarily share your same taste in music.

Her constant bad vibes can ultimately drive a wedge between your creative intentions as a musician, it's not difference of opinion that really matters, but it's her inability to understand. I was going with this girl for years, but her constant bad vibes towards my music really added to our problemns toward the end. However, we eventually broke up, and for he life of me I can't underastand why she was so hesitant to undserstand that my music was important to me. I never knew my guitar was such a threat to her in more ways than one...

It's hard, especially when you look back and wonder if things could have worked out, somehow. However, as a traveling musician, (and a possible professional as the years progress,) do you feel it's definitely important to only start a relationship with someone who shares your same interests in music?

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/16/2001 4:28 am
I don't think it's important for a companion to share your same taste in music but they must respect your passion, for it is part of you, and if they love you they will accept that.
If you do play professionally & travel alot or work late hours at night rehearsing & gigging, try to be honest with the person as soon as things start getting seriuos, let them know that this has been a problem with girls in the past and talk about it. Remember though, a successfull relationship reqiures alot if give & take.
# 2
Saad Khalid
Saad Khalid
09/25/2001 11:29 am
I totally agree with Mr. Chris Mood.

Life is not as you see. You'll have to cope with lot of things. ANd one more thing is what we see as threatening is not threatenig at all. It is not necessary that a musician may find a lover who is also a musician, or a person interested in music. If your marriage fialed, I think it is due to bad communication. I'll not go further in your private life but think yourself.Otherwise this is the truth that it is not necessary for the couple to be of same profession. And as Mr. Mood has said, in love one(or both) have to sacrifice,they have to bear each other's odd habits (and these odd habits are mostly those which are new to the other partner).

Thankyou

# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
09/26/2001 12:18 am
being me implies that I play the guitar for a living... Much more, I play it also for fun, for my kids, to say I love you, to pray God, to relieve my hearthaches...
I'd say that in a relationship, you have to take your loved one as a whole, and you have to know if what annoys you is a part of him or just a temporary thing.
My wife knows that I would be as sad if I lost her or if I lost my ability to play the guitar, she accets me, and in return, I write her love songs once in a while....
Be strong, your guitar will help you through this
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.