help!

Antroo
Antroo
09/14/2001 2:20 am
Any help will be appreciated. Ive played guitar for 35 years - mostly folk and a little classical - I teach K-12 music in a small school. We started a guitar class in general music class 2 years ago and it hung on - last year one of our aides took over the class as an after-school class. He was great! the kids loved him! He taught them all the cool stuff. Well, he has left to further his education, and the class was handed back to me. i knew enough to start them - but they are in various stages of accomplishment. Most of them are really into tabs of current music - needless to say - Im not quite as up on current music as I should be (although I am listening to more of it now - ) Any ideas, tab sites, progression plans etc will be of value to me. I dont quite feel like im in over my head, but I am not the guitar expert that I should be.
Those who wish to sing will always find a song.
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
09/14/2001 4:23 am

The popular tab sites would be tabcrawler.com and taborama.com. I've had pretty good luck finding what I want on either of those sites.

As for current music - pretty much anyone you ask around here will tell you that the state of current music is really sad. Not to say that there aren't good bands out there right now, but they're few and far between. Some of the ones your students will no doubt be wanting to learn will be Creed, Lifehouse, Staind, etc. Korn maybe . . . althought they don't do that much guitar work, just power chords.

You should be able to find any of these bands on those tab sites.
# 2
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
09/14/2001 9:08 pm
Originally posted by Antroo
Any help will be appreciated. Ive played guitar for 35 years - mostly folk and a little classical - I teach K-12 music in a small school. We started a guitar class in general music class 2 years ago and it hung on - last year one of our aides took over the class as an after-school class. He was great! the kids loved him! He taught them all the cool stuff. Well, he has left to further his education, and the class was handed back to me. i knew enough to start them - but they are in various stages of accomplishment. Most of them are really into tabs of current music - needless to say - Im not quite as up on current music as I should be (although I am listening to more of it now - ) Any ideas, tab sites, progression plans etc will be of value to me. I dont quite feel like im in over my head, but I am not the guitar expert that I should be.

I've reworded pus fixed my question thanks to luke_16!
Being a guitar Teacher my self i have a question!
1.Can you explain some of the new technique's for guitar,
like punk-rock metal plus play some of the new technique's?
Like Power chords,Bending,notes,useing vibrato,pull-offs,
Sliding,Raking,Sweep-picking,Pinch harmonics, Reading and writing useing Tab. ect ect.
Mark
Thanks Luke_16 for bringing this to mind.
About my mind with the cold i've had for almost two weeks,
its has'nt been to sharp here lately i think i need to,
get more rest and take my meds and not answer questions,
untill i feal a little better.Restzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
P:S ANTROO I can send you to a site that can help you in your teaching,of the newer technique's plus how to explain them,
were you can also use your own idea's also in teaching,
your students.
the newer technique's.Just e-mail me and i'll give you the,
name of site,plus any help you need.

[Edited by skee1 on 09-16-2001 at 12:28 PM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 3
Luke_16
Luke_16
09/16/2001 5:25 am
not too be a totally ignorant fool here, but what is a tec? and anything bye people on mtv is what your kids are going to want to play. Nirvana is good to learn if you're teaching them power chords, it's slow paced and pretty simple. They also have some pretty good solos that are easy to learn. I suggest trying to teach them so blues licks and stuff, kida are a lot more interested in it than you would think. I never thought I would like blues and my cousin taught me a couple licks and i love blues. Anyways, good luck with your class.

later,
Luke
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.