Bands that changed history

dvenetian
dvenetian
12/12/2006 1:58 pm
It's amazing how some bands create such an original sound and presence that so many somewhat follow or extend from and bring a whole new image to the industry.
Greats like: Hendrix, Zeppelin, The Doors and Black Sabbath all had a different style and emphasis in their music that made it original. They influence so many with their sound and composition that it becomes rare to see a band bring a change. Some Artists like Alice Cooper used a gimmick with make-up and shock value to get noticed.
The Dead are doin their scene.
Kiss capitolized and changed music with a huge following that even enticed young kids by their presence. They were the first band to introduce music to fans young as 8 years old either buying their albums or asking Santa for them.
Next, Van Halen drops a bomb!!!!!
Iron Maiden and Judas Priest take Metal to a new level with Maiden's guitars and Priest's insane Vocals.
Then there's;
Devo
the Police
The Cars bringing a "new wave" trend.
Ozzy leaves Sabbath and exposes Randy Rhodes to the world.
AC/DC explodes
All of a sudden, Dudes start wearing make-up, looking like women and playing some Glamm Crap until Metallica "Kill(ed) em All".
Metallica changed music and have influenced many bands playing the Hardcore Thrash style, due to their intensity.
Who's next, Nirvana?
# 1
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
12/14/2006 1:14 pm
Yep!! Nirvana and pearl Jam gave us Grunge along with Soundgarden.
Let's up date a little now its My chemical Romance, AFI, and other EMO Screamers :eek: GOD PLEASE Bring back Old School Rock n Metal!
We need new bands that play, write, sing. like Boston, B.T.O., U.F.O., Anthrax, Megadeth. Remember all the great music from the 70's.
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 2
wreckens
wreckens
12/14/2006 3:53 pm
yesh exactly >_<
by the way
why does rumors say toro from mcr suks wif soloing?
# 3
meansy
meansy
12/15/2006 6:47 am
i say Nirvana and the chili peppers. how can u 4get them.
neway mcr does suk
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
12/15/2006 12:48 pm
Wow...

Let's see...

Robert Johnson: Father of the blues

The Beatles: Boy band mania... McCartney and Lennon are still to this day some of the best song writers ever

Chuck Berry: Brought "electric" music to the fore front

Eric Clapton/Yardbirds/Cream: Made "electric" music more popular... molded the "rock" style of Chuck Berry into a more modern sound that came to be known as "Classic rock"

Lynyrd Skynyrd: Created a sound now known as "Souther Rock" which blended classic rock sounds with country music touch... and in a very short time put together one of the best collection of songs by one band ever.

Jimi Hendrix: Changed the way guitar effects were used as well as created a whole new approach to guitar playing.... blending the blues with rock style riffing....

Led Zeppelin: Changed the approach taken to music... Changed the way a lot of bands approached song writing... More of a freeform approach. The sounds of Jimmy Page morphed the way the guitar was played once again...

Black Sabbath: Created what we now know as "metal" music...

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon.......... That's all I'm going to say.

Ever since Sabbath the changes in music have been subtle..... Most changes not happening in the way music is actually being written or played... but simply what is popular...

Metallica: Takes Sabbath to a whole new level

Iron Maiden: Takes Metal music to a whole new level

Ozzy/Randy Rhodes: Changes the meaning of "Lead guitar"

Eddie Van Halen: In a league with RR.

KISS: Glam...

The Ramones: Don't know much about "punk music" but I'd have to say that they were close to first...

Motley Crue: Cool Glam...

Guns N Roses: The bridge between grunge and glam...

Soundgarden/Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Mudhoney/many many many others that don't get credit: The Seattle bands get dirty.... create a grunge/grinding sound that is taken by storm when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" goes from a cult classic to a mainstray hit overnight.... making grunge music not only cool to the kids with torn jeans and poor family lives.... but also cool to the rich suburban americans and their guess jeans and sweaters.......... The MTV craze erupts..... slowly killing off any chance for low budget music to ever be successful...

Since then not much has changed

New Kids on The Block: A product of MTV.... gave the formula for every boy band of the future..... the embryo of the clones NSync and the Backstreet Boys...

It's hard to come up with any other bands that really CHANGED music in the last decade..... most music has just been variations of the same stuff over and over.... Mainstream music has really stayed the same... That's why bands like 3 Doors Down and Nickleback can keep writing the same song over and over again and still have a multi platiunum album every year.... Because mainstream is mainstream.... and it's hard to change that.... The most change is found in the Indie/Underground scene.... which rarely never sees the light of the mainstream market..... MTV stunted the growth of music... There is no public opinion of what is good music and bad music.... and what changes are widely accepted and rejected..... MTV has force fed the same crappy music to the public for the last decade and a half.....
# 5
wreckens
wreckens
12/15/2006 2:07 pm
whats with dark side of the moon?
wats the song's history?
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
12/15/2006 2:23 pm
Originally Posted by: wreckenswhats with dark side of the moon?
wats the song's history?

The entire Dark Side of the Moon album was what I was referring to. That album broke so much ground in the recording process and song writing process that it's almost unbelievable to even think of... It broke down almost every musical and production barrier there was at that time and opened doors that people didn't even know exhisted.... There hasn't been an album outside the Pink Floyd catalog that can match that album from a production standpoint... For the time period it was about a decade and a half ahead of its time........ Just have a listen to the album from start to finish and imagine yourself in the 70's listening to it. It's like an orchestra on acid and every other mind altering drug you can imagine....
# 7
dvenetian
dvenetian
12/15/2006 3:02 pm
Funny you mention Anthrax because they also changed music. Even though they fit in the speed/thrash catagory, they opened a new door when teaming up with Public Enemy. That new sound paved the way for bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit starting so called Nu Metal.
Another was Ronnie James Dio joining Sabbath after Ozzy bailed. Not to copy Ozzy's signature of fingering peace signs, Dio used his index and pinky fingers making the Devil's horns sign an international symbol for Heavy Metal. Following Ozzy took some balls and his kick ass vocals ripped on the "Heaven and Hell" album.
Then there's that nutty band "Twisted Sister" having to testify before Congress after the Government threatened to ban their record sales (good ol' Tipper Gore). They were one of the first bands forced to put the "Parental Advisory warning label" on their albums.
# 8
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
12/15/2006 4:20 pm
Originally Posted by: dvenetian
Then there's that nutty band "Twisted Sister" having to testify before Congress after the Government threatened to ban their record sales (good ol' Tipper Gore). They were one of the first bands forced to put the "Parental Advisory warning label" on their albums.

Hell, Everyone welcomed the warning label it sold them more records! :D
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 9
dvenetian
dvenetian
12/15/2006 4:50 pm
Would you say Tool is original?
What about Incubus?
Radiohead?
# 10
aschleman
aschleman
12/15/2006 4:56 pm
Yeah, they're all original... But I think the point of the thread is bands that changed history... or atleast changed music history.

Tool has influenced some of the hard rock acts that are around today... notably Chevelle and 10 years....

Incubus has been one of the bands that are always slightly different than everything else... Kind of a spin off of RHCP.

I'm not a huge Radiohead fan... and I don't know too much about htem...
# 11
aschleman
aschleman
12/15/2006 7:51 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI'd say that Charlie Patton was the father of the blues.

Infact, If I wanted to be a picky arse about it, i could say:

Henry Sloan -> Charlie Patton -> Son House -> Robert Johnson

Then from Robert Johnson -> Eric Clapton, and Led Zeppelin.

There was a whole bunch of Delta Blues musicians around prior to Robert Johnson... None of which ever were professionally recorded. And none of them get credit... I just always think of RJ when I think of the blues. Granted he wasn't the "first"... It's a similar situation with people giving Nirvana all the credit for being the first Grunge band... they weren't... they were just the first one to get a lot of recognition... Same thing with Sloan and Patton.
# 12
dvenetian
dvenetian
12/17/2006 3:51 am
Originally Posted by: aschlemanYeah, they're all original... But I think the point of the thread is bands that changed history... or atleast changed music history.
Tool has influenced some of the hard rock acts that are around today... notably Chevelle and 10 years....
Incubus has been one of the bands that are always slightly different than everything else... Kind of a spin off of RHCP.
I'm not a huge Radiohead fan... and I don't know too much about htem...

You're right, none of them changed history. I'm not a big Radiohead fan either, however, their song "Street Spirit" is incredible. It creates all of the elements and emotion that music can generate with a guitar. It crosses over many musical tastes, which is difficult to achieve in songwriting. One of my favorites for sure.
What about Joe Satriani, Steve Vai or Yngvie?
Garth Brooks?
# 13
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/17/2006 4:06 am
Beatles - what can ya say
Abba - international pop
Pink Floyd - groovy baby
Shadows - Guitar rock
Beach Boys - surf music
Queen - harmonies
Van Halen - mostly eddie
# 14
Gabriel_S
Gabriel_S
12/17/2006 6:37 pm
Hmmmm, we seem to be forgetting Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan in this thread. I would also add that the 2 biggest names to make an impact on our cultural history as well would go to Elvis Presley and the Beatles.
Without music, life is a mistake
# 15
The Magician
The Magician
12/17/2006 8:25 pm
Status Quo Rick Parfitt is an awesome Rhythm guitarist
# 16
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
12/17/2006 8:31 pm
A couple more...

#Lonnie Johnson and Eddie Lang: Amongst the earliest pioneers in modern jazz, and the fathers of the modern guitar solo

#Procol Harum: Possibly the first band to incorporate classical and jazz influences into psychedelic rock, thus paving the way for prog rock.

#The Mahavishnu Orchestra: With an incredibly broad range of influences and impeccable musical skill, took fusion to a new level

#Santana: Made jazz-rock much groovier and (let's face it) more recognisably musical :p Also gave us one of the most creative guitarists of the century - who, after three brilliant albums, sold his soul to the record companies :(

#Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robert Cray, Robben Ford etc: Helped to popularise electric blues and roots in the eighties with their new, rock- and pop-influenced styles

#The Sex Pistols, the Clash, the Buzzcocks etc: For better or for worse, gave us punk

#Carcass, Death, Slayer: For better AND for worse, gave us death metal.

#Korn, Slipknot, Machine Head etc: Definitely for worse, gave us nu-metal

#Stevie Wonder: One of the fathers of modern RnB
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 17
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
12/18/2006 6:06 am
Hmmm...no mention of Pantera-Far Beyond Driven?
One of the best metal albums ever (and 1st to debut at #1), released at a crucial time to signal the beginning of the end of that grunge era. Like Metallica's Black album, it brought metal to the masses who normally wouldn't be exposed to it, and returned the guitar solo to the spotlight.
While that album was one of their highlights, their career as a whole was influential as well. Certainly not singlehandedly, but ditching the spandex and makeup had an effect. They helped take mosh pits, vocal screams, and just pure aggressiveness to "a new level", to be carried on by the next wave...Korn, Slipknot, etc.

Another band I can't help but mentioning...ZZ Top. Already fairly famous from previous albums, Eliminator was huge, and made the 80's a little more bearable. They also helped debut the art of the video on MTV and further tied in images (cars, women, clothes, fuzzy guitars) with the music. Personally I think they took the blues to a different level, as most of their songs are based in basic blues progressions, shuffles, and licks but with more squeals, fuzz, and more of a head bobbing rock rhythm. Roots in the blues, but certainly unique and original. It might be hard to find a jukebox, wedding reception (Legs...everytime), or rock radio station not playing them still today.

Well those are my additions, but perhaps I'm a little biased. :cool:
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 18
dvenetian
dvenetian
12/18/2006 7:32 am
You're right, The Beatles, Sex pistols, ZZ, Pantera, SRV and Elvis have major influences on so much music played throughout the industry.
Am I wrong by incorporating "Street Spirit" by Radiohead into the mix?
Playing guitar approx. 28 years and hearing that song moved me the first time I heard it. It's rare for me, due to all of the music being produced over the decades, to create such an impact.
If you're not familiar with the song, you're in for a treat. The simplicity being turned into intensity by guitar (a foreign object) and vocals (natural) create a masterpiece of emotion (in my opinion).
# 19
dvenetian
dvenetian
12/18/2006 11:32 am
Do you think some bands have more impact in an area of the World that are reflected to their message compared to fans not associated with or understanding what their lyrics/music pertains to? Something that would bring a change to music for those who understand what the message represents?
Example: Aenema/Tool= Lyrics "Freaks here in this hopeless f***ing hole we call LA, the only way to fix it is to flush it all away, any f***ing time, any f***ing day, Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.
The reason I mention this is when I toured London, so many things referred by Bands were revealed to me, things I couldn't relate to before going there. Even little things like "Quid" (bucks to us) and "Red Light" (Hooker's room vacant in SoHo) related to songs I heard a million times, from Maiden's 22 Acacia Ave. to The Police's Roxanne. Even standing at 3 Saville Row, London, the address of The Beatles Apple Headquarters, to name a few. Surreal.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.