Whats the deal?

Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
11/21/2006 4:32 am
Ok, so whats the difference in tones between stacks and all. If you're using a guitar processor and things like EQ and all,what will the tone of the head like mesa have to contribute to the tone of the final sound that comes out of the cab?
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 1
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
11/21/2006 6:48 am
if i had a mesa i would not process it....it would be like sunglasses at a fireworks show.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/21/2006 12:31 pm
You should download a trial demo of "AmpliTube" or other similar program and try out the different combinations of amps and cabinets. You'd be amazed at what a subtle difference just a change from a 4X10 to a 2X12 cabinet can make.
You can also try different micing techniques and effects pedal combinations.

It's not the real thing, but it comes pretty close to emulating what you sounds you'd get.
# 3
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
11/21/2006 12:50 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeYou should download a trial demo of "AmpliTube" or other similar program and try out the different combinations of amps and cabinets. You'd be amazed at what a subtle difference just a change from a 4X10 to a 2X12 cabinet can make.
You can also try different micing techniques and effects pedal combinations.

It's not the real thing, but it comes pretty close to emulating what you sounds you'd get.

Thanks ill give it a shot it might ease my mind a little

But question if anyone knows does Petrucci use the distortion from the mesa amps and just use the rest of his rack gear for effects and to shape the tone of that ? because i've seen a couple guys with mesas and their tone sucked but that could be because they dont know how to set it up maybe?

BTW im kind of looking for a petrucci tone if that helps
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 4
ren
ren
11/21/2006 12:56 pm
He's a triaxis user as I recall.... but yeah, his rig is insane, and much of it is custom built. Check this out...

Also, from an interview in Guitar World some years ago - not sure if it helps:

Clean setup:

Preamp mode = Rythm 1 yellow
gain = 6
treble = 6.5
middle = 3.5
bass = 3
lead 1 drive = 0
lead 2 drive = 0
master = 5.5
presence = 8
dynamic voice = 7
power amps set on deep and modern

Main Crunch Sound:

preamp mode = lead 1 red
gain = 6
treble = 6
middle = 5
bass = 4.5
lead 2 drive = 0
master = 4
presence = 6.5

Lead:

preamp mode = lead 2 yellow (mark 2 lead sound)
gain = 7.5
treble =4.5
middle = 4
bass = 5.5
lead 1 drive = 0
lead 2 drive = 6.5
master = 6
presence = 0
dynamic voice = 3

that goes into a tc electronic 2290 delay. For the lead sound he uses 460 and 602 millisecond delays with about 3 repeats. For the crunch sound he uses a very short 26 ms delay he then uses a lexicon PCM-70 that runs of the loops on the 2290.

And for Mesa tone sucking, the guys there might be on the rectifier end of the spectrum.... maybe using too much gain at a guess... it's why the techs I know call the 'rectifriers'...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
11/22/2006 3:09 am
Originally Posted by: renHe's a triaxis user as I recall.... but yeah, his rig is insane, and much of it is custom built. Check this out...

Also, from an interview in Guitar World some years ago - not sure if it helps:

Clean setup:

Preamp mode = Rythm 1 yellow
gain = 6
treble = 6.5
middle = 3.5
bass = 3
lead 1 drive = 0
lead 2 drive = 0
master = 5.5
presence = 8
dynamic voice = 7

Main Crunch Sound:

preamp mode = lead 1 red
gain = 6
treble = 6
middle = 5
bass = 4.5
lead 2 drive = 0
master = 4
presence = 6.5

Lead:

preamp mode = lead 2 yellow (mark 2 lead sound)
gain = 7.5
treble =4.5
middle = 4
bass = 5.5
lead 1 drive = 0
lead 2 drive = 6.5
master = 6
presence = 0
dynamic voice = 3

that goes into a tc electronic 2290 delay. For the lead sound he uses 460 and 602 millisecond delays with about 3 repeats. For the crunch sound he uses a very short 26 ms delay he then uses a lexicon PCM-70 that runs of the loops on the 2290.

And for Mesa tone sucking, the guys there might be on the rectifier end of the spectrum.... maybe using too much gain at a guess... it's why the techs I know call the 'rectifriers'...

Very useful, yea they are rectifiersare they not very good or something, it confuses me i always thought they were supposed to be great.

But anyway, is this triaxis thing what JP uses to get his distortion tones? and say if i got one of these and plugged it into a cab ? would that work? and if i got something like this and a huge rack EQ could i make an accurate petrucci tone? i dont know if these questions are stupid or obvious but thanks for answering i think im near the light at the end of the tunnel of tone
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.