Jolly writes a story

acapella
acapella
11/01/2006 6:32 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI did want to write something that needed multiple readings, the first to enjoy, the second and third etc to understand. I'm glad you worked at this, man, and really proud that I wrote something you guys felt was worth the time to analyze! Acapella, I'm gonna pm you my email address, I still want to see how you worked out the Holden Caufield parallel.

Yessir. I'll send it to you later on today. It was a Carl Luce parallel though.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/02/2006 12:24 am
Well, I took the plunge and gave a copy to one of my professors... :o I'm hoping I don't get crushed by the onslaught to come...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
11/02/2006 7:55 am
is it just me or is your short story growing to an epic ;) vincent+monoaudio=brilliant
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/02/2006 3:59 pm
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpis it just me or is your short story growing to an epic ;) vincent+monoaudio=brilliant

Haha, it's still under a thousand words and I hope to keep it so, though I have added a lot on my computer. Maybe I'll edit it into the story...yeah, I think I will.

Haha, glad you liked Mr. VanGogh. I liked better, though, the segue into him, "one ear listening to the starry night."

Also, I love the compliment, but don't say "brilliant," "genius," or any of those synonyms. I'm proud of my writing, but it's not genius.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 4
acapella
acapella
11/02/2006 6:09 pm
Some things are made clearer with the new changes, but as it gets longer I'm starting to feel like the story explains itself a bit too much. It's good to understand things and have images, but as I read it this last time I was starting to feel like you were overdoing it with the endless adjectives and endlessadjectives. This is just from my perspective as a reader, and I'm not putting down you or your story, but I just think that if you do something clever too often or too much, it cheapens it. I know this is probably offensive coming from somebody who isn't smart enough to really understand what you're doing, but I don't mean it offensively, that's just how I felt reading it.
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/02/2006 7:12 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellaSome things are made clearer with the new changes, but as it gets longer I'm starting to feel like the story explains itself a bit too much. It's good to understand things and have images, but as I read it this last time I was starting to feel like you were overdoing it with the endless adjectives and endlessadjectives. This is just from my perspective as a reader, and I'm not putting down you or your story, but I just think that if you do something clever too often or too much, it cheapens it. I know this is probably offensive coming from somebody who isn't smart enough to really understand what you're doing, but I don't mean it offensively, that's just how I felt reading it.

No, I agree with you. That's a good call, I'm going to work out a few of the overdone techniques. Still-listening is in there one too many times, for one.

Yeah, I worked out a few kinks. I especially had put in WAY too much about the curator and Vanessa. It doesn't matter how he found out, the point is that now he knows. I don't know why I felt such a strong need to explain it. Plus I gave the curator way too much description in the Vanessa paragraph. "Curator. Filth-ridden anti-ascetic. Reaper of those fool enough to trust him. Usurping lecher" really only needed "Usurping lecher."
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 6
acapella
acapella
11/02/2006 9:16 pm
I like it better this time, it doesn't seem as overdone. It seems to flow more naturally, it seems like it was written more naturally and the techniques were less forced. Good job. Well, it was a good job before, so better job. In my opinion, leastways.
# 7
earthman buck
earthman buck
11/02/2006 9:23 pm
Jolly, I have to ask: how do you decide what to put in and what to keep out? Surely a guy who can write as well as you comes up with a lot of different endings, adjectives, meanings, etc. How do you decide whether something is worthy enough to put in your stories?

I only ask because when I try to write songs (or on rarer occasions, stories), I make them up as I go and come up with about 30,000 different ideas, all of which I like, but obviously I can't put them all in.

So....do you have some sort of test your ideas must pass before you put pen to paper?
# 8
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/02/2006 10:55 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckJolly, I have to ask: how do you decide what to put in and what to keep out? Surely a guy who can write as well as you comes up with a lot of different endings, adjectives, meanings, etc. How do you decide whether something is worthy enough to put in your stories?

I only ask because when I try to write songs (or on rarer occasions, stories), I make them up as I go and come up with about 30,000 different ideas, all of which I like, but obviously I can't put them all in.

So....do you have some sort of test your ideas must pass before you put pen to paper?

Technically I free-wrote the basics of this story in the literal pen on paper as soon as I got back to my dorm room one day. Much of the content hasn't changed, and the themes are all still the same. How do I decide what phrases to change and what to use etc? Well, I guess it depends on several factors. One, the cadence of the piece, if a word doesn't roll off the last word I hate to use it unless it's specifically designed to halt the reader. Typically I want each word to seem as though it naturally succeeds the last and naturally leads into the next.

Ultimately what I decide to leave in or take out depends on stylistic taste, though. I mean, take "Vanessa de Mille," for example. Her name seemed just too obvious a play on the Venus de Milo, it made the whole passage seem cheesy or campy, so I shortened it to simply "Vanessa." The Venessa/Venus parallel is still there, but without the redundant "de Mille." Some things I don't put in because they detract from the point or are completely tangential. For instance, I'd written up a passage explaining exactly how (the mechanics of the situation) Thomas had come upon Vanessa and the curator together, but really it wasn't necessary. The story simply didn't need to say HOW he'd found them out, just that he had. I try to use the sufficient adjectives as well, since you asked. At first the curator was "filth-ridden anti-ascetic. Reaper of those foolish enough to trust him. Usurping lecher." Really, the first two were unnecessary and impeded the progress of the piece itself. Or, another example, armless, assless Venus de Milo used to make Thomas think "can't ****, can't wipe." The phrasing was simply too direct, especially since "shat" was in the sentence just before it, so I changed it to "fertilizer of fallow fields." I needed my words and adjectives also to fit the themes. Stillwatching, for instance, reminding the reader of stasis. In that vein, words like marblelimestonefloorsurface slowly breakdown the illusion of superiority, the thought slowly morphs into something more and more basic. Marblelimestonefloorbreaking, however, is slightly different, because instead of simplifying, it simply gives off the combined feeling of two objects running together at the moment of impact.

As far as some kind of test goes, I usually just write within the themes and story that I had in my head. Later on I go back and tweak the language.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 9
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
11/03/2006 1:17 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollyson

Also, I love the compliment, but don't say "brilliant," "genius," or any of those synonyms. I'm proud of my writing, but it's not genius.

just take brilliant from me like i am brittish.....where when a guy scores a goal "brilliant!!" or you get an antique cheap it's "brilliant!!" :D it seems to be the brit equivelent of "awesome" now-a-days
# 10
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/03/2006 2:03 am
I guess, earthman, the thing is I don't come up with a story first, really. I come up with a subject, topic, theme, whatever, and I construct a story around that. Typically it's more of an epiphany than a slowly thought out story-board, however the epiphany itself usually leads to a basic skeleton around which I make the story. In fact, here, I came to my dorm room one day, sat down, took a pen, and wrote this non-stop until I reached the last period:

"Thomas heard curates and academics lecture endlessly in the museum. Art for art's sake is not art. Art for one's own sake is not art. Art for others is not art. None of this matters; this is not art. Statue of David, balls but no rectum, constipated, I'd bet. Replica anyhow. Hasn't shat for a thousand years--friend and lover to the armless, assless Venus de Milo. Passing by dave, Thomas took his usual seat in the Monet section. Back room of the museum. Curator. Panting. The woman with him breathes heavily. Beating into the wall behind the Monet--virile, victorious, pleased with himself, God what a curator. Call you tomorrow. **** that. You're fired. New secretary, same wall, same Monet rattling on the other side.

Every day he watched, every third it shook--scheduled. Penciled in by the curate; linear time, power, schedule, control, framed painting, bedded down with Procrustes. He's protected--a son of Troy. The plaster ceiling--crumbling, flaking--dusts the marble floor. Crumbling, flaking, these concepts are my own. Who told you the floor was marble? Limestone floor, I will not lie...not intentionally.

He stood, still watching the shaking masterpiece. Masterpiece still suffering sodomy, but not stillsuffering. Nothing immobile. All erodes. Water cutting rocks. Canyons one hundred thousand years in the making.

Still watching and stillwatching Thomas listened, stilllistening, to the sound against the wall. They were about to finish, he could hear it. Ten minutes, what a wanker. Way to ride, cowboy. In the last throes, the painting fell, the frame cracking as it hit the marblelimestonesurface.

Thomas could not control. How could he when. It's perfectly excusable that. I can't be judged if. Why do I have to think about. Done. Art is voyeur; a seed--denied, ignored, suppressed, unleashed--sown into stony ground."

Compare that to what I have now.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 11
acapella
acapella
11/03/2006 5:41 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI mean, take "Vanessa de Mille," for example. Her name seemed just too obvious a play on the Venus de Milo, it made the whole passage seem cheesy or campy, so I shortened it to simply "Vanessa." The Venessa/Venus parallel is still there, but without the redundant "de Mille."

That's a good idea. I had thought before that Vanessa de Mille was too obvious and unrealistic, but not enough to point it out. I'm glad you changed that.
# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/07/2006 6:20 am
I'm bumping this thread because I just re-read it and damn. The final version is really ****ing good. I'm actually pleased with it.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 13
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
11/07/2006 7:43 am
holy 5,000 Jollyman!!!

# 14
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/07/2006 9:41 am
Kick.

Ass.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 15
silentmusic
silentmusic
11/07/2006 12:58 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonKick.

Ass.

WOW 5000 Posts :eek: :cool:
Akira says;
"i was expecting some 3476 string string skipping with some 23489172343 octave sweeps and some alt picking runs at 345734237623572bpm in 234872364781246164516th notes across your 2384723648724627348623478264 fret guitar"
# 16
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/07/2006 8:57 pm
Originally Posted by: silentmusicWOW 5000 Posts :eek: :cool:

Yeah, and the only one worth reading is at the beginning of this thread.

Sad, in a way.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 17
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
11/08/2006 7:51 am
I call it improvement, progression ;) Thread evolution if you will

1st Post

# 18
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/08/2006 8:46 am
HA! Man, this story is good.

Not great.

But good.

Love the chimp.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 19
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/10/2006 3:23 pm
I know I said I wouldn't edit any more, but check it out! Added some stuff, subtracted some stuff, all in all, I think the new lines are fantastic.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.