Cleaning the fretboard?

ckandes1
ckandes1
10/09/2006 8:39 pm
Hey I'm restringing and polishing a couple of my guitars and I realized my fretboards are actually... quite discusting, they've got grundge buildup. Whats the best way to clean this without damaging the surface of the wood and without leaving and type of chemical that could effect the strings? Note: they arent old or classic guitars in any way, just a couple of BC Rich Warlocks.

especially any remedies that dont include going out to a music store to buy a special procudt b/c i'm broke right now, and besides i dont feel like driving to daytona to get myself to a guitar store..
[FONT=Courier New]
E||-----------------------------|---------------------||
B||-----------------------------|---------------------||
G||*--------7h8-7---------------|--------------5-----*||
D||*------------------7h8-7-----|--------5--------7--*||
A||---0--0---------0---------0--|--8--7-----7---------||
:cool: Ckandes1
[/FONT]
# 1
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/10/2006 1:26 am
I just scrape it off with a soft pick...
# 2
Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
10/10/2006 2:07 am
I use a fretboard conditioner by Yamaha that does a pretty good job. It wasn't expensive and you can score it at musiciansfriend.com for pretty cheap I'm sure.
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/10/2006 2:30 am
I use the netting of a kitchen sponge at the momment, and thats rough enough to get all the gunk off. But I do that every 2 weeks when I change strings. I've been wanting to get some of those plastic wool things also used in the kitchen, it would be easier to get the stuff off with. I've heard about people ussing steel wool, but I'd rather not use that, it seems like it might messup the wood. Its also good to get some Fast Fret and apply that about twice a year after you clean the fretboard.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
ckandes1
ckandes1
10/10/2006 2:52 am
ah a sponge, very simple. I'll pick up some real fretboard cleaners later but right now I got the strings off, I'm not going anywhere, and i want to get this thing cleaned up and put back together, I'll use warm water and a sponge with the backnetting and a clothe to dry with and just be careful that it doesnt damage anything.
[FONT=Courier New]
[/FONT]
# 5
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/10/2006 1:31 pm
Water.....wood.....noooooooo! If you just take the outside netting of the sponge and rub the frets real good, you'll get all the crap off and the fret board will be nice and shiny.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 6
ckandes1
ckandes1
10/10/2006 7:03 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccWater.....wood.....noooooooo! If you just take the outside netting of the sponge and rub the frets real good, you'll get all the crap off and the fret board will be nice and shiny.

haha alright thanks
[FONT=Courier New]
[/FONT]
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/12/2006 2:40 pm
I use a fretboard cleaner from dunlop, that I think is similar to alcohol, and a toothbrush. After wiping that off and making sure the board has dried, I'll then use some fretboard conditioner, also from dunop. This is a somewhat oily substance that you wipe into the fretboard, which leaves it nice and smooth.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
parrotheada1a
parrotheada1a
11/04/2006 7:43 pm
What works well for me is a product like Goo Gone. Just a little bit on a rag wiped along the fretboard will get the job done. If there is lots of gunk on there, a few carefull swipes with a scotchbrite pad will clean things out in a hurry. It doesn't need to be used everytime you change the strings, perhaps every 3rd change or so. The stuff is citrus based, and won't wreck your hands. I know that using it is okay on newer polyurethane finishes, but I'm not sure at all about nitro. As has been mentioned before, I also put some Fast Fret on after cleaning.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Still learning. One riff at a time. [/FONT]
# 9
pizzicatopicker
pizzicatopicker
11/11/2006 7:32 pm
Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever use water on a guitar! It wouldnt matter if it's made of graphite though... It'll warp the wood, making un-playable.... I usually clean my fretboards with the strings off the guitar.. That means I have to do it quikley, so the neck doesnt go TO out of wack.
# 10
FahQD00D
FahQD00D
11/19/2006 6:03 am
^--- well changing the strings isn't that deep... although it is good to keep that constant tension the strings provide on the neck, its not like you have to do it as quick as possible.

and too clean a fretboard you can try a number of things. if you want a great book and in my opinion a must have for the diy'ers out there it is simply called "how to make your electric guitar play great"... creative name.

anyways this book gets down to the t about everything and this guy says he uses salive (spit) first and see if that works.... i'm assuming not in excess and this is for the REALLY dirty fret boards. you can also try mineral spirits or naptha (lighter fluid), with a cotton rag. it says to let the solvent (whatever you choose) to sit for a little while to let it loosen up the grime, then wipe it off.

you can also use an old credit card or whatever to scrape it... just don't scrape too hard.

but first just try breathing on it and then wiping it off... kind of like when you were a kid and you'd exhale on the window and write your name on the glass.

but if it is out of control you can try scraping it with a razor blade... but take heed. you have to understand how fragile that wood really is, and the smallest thing can completly destroy a nice neck.

but yeah, i'd advise against using water. and if you do use spit don't use it in excess.

lord that is alot of information, but hey... all the stuff works. or you can buy the stuff from guitar shops which will work just as good obviously.

good luck and be carefull with that guitar :)
# 11
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/20/2006 3:17 am
Originally Posted by: parrotheada1aWhat works well for me is a product like Goo Gone. Just a little bit on a rag wiped along the fretboard will get the job done. If there is lots of gunk on there, a few carefull swipes with a scotchbrite pad will clean things out in a hurry. It doesn't need to be used everytime you change the strings, perhaps every 3rd change or so. The stuff is citrus based, and won't wreck your hands. I know that using it is okay on newer polyurethane finishes, but I'm not sure at all about nitro. As has been mentioned before, I also put some Fast Fret on after cleaning.

With the Fast Fret, I'm pretty sure your only suppose to apply that like 2 times a year.

Myspace
# 12
Paul Tauterouff
Paul Tauterouff
11/28/2006 2:56 pm
I use basic lemon oil you can buy cheap at most department stores. I take all of the strings off and rub with a paper towel. It works good and its inexpensive. I'll do it while i'm sitting and watching TV.
Thanks,

Paul Tauterouff
http://paultauterouff.com
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.