Marshall Footswitch

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/26/2006 4:20 pm
I've had a marshall mg50dfx for a month and hate it more everyday. It sounded good in the store but I am really regretting getting it instead of the valveking.

My question is, can i use the 2 button marshall footswitch for the peavey? Just need to know so i can know how to lit the marshall in the classifieds.

Thankyou.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/27/2006 5:06 pm
I don't see why you couldn't, but even if it doesn't work, PV footswitches are fairly cheap. I have two PV footswitches that I've tried using. One is for my 3 channel Rockmaster preamp, and the other is for my 2 channel + reverb 5150 combo. The rockmaster pedal works, but the 5150 pedal doesn't. I'm not sure why though. Either way, I'm sure you could find someone to rewire your pedal so that it works properly, and that would be much cheaper than buying a new pedal and having it shipped and all.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/27/2006 11:27 pm
Thanks dude. Eric...do you have a seriuos problem with switching delay on the valveking? I've read its a problem...how long is the delay.

Also...do you know how an sd-1 sounds over the amp overdrive (just got one today :D ), like for lead gain boosts?
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow

METOOB
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/27/2006 11:37 pm
There is definitely a delay there, but it's not horrible, and once you get used to it, you'll be able to time it just right so that it's not noticable. I've also heard that it's a fairly easy fix, but I don't know how.

I think the SD-1 will sound great along with the amps overdrive. I've got the MXR Wylde Overdrive, which is very similar to the SD-1, and it sounds great. So, you should be fine and dandy with that the pedal.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/29/2006 12:51 am
YA, I to have a zakk wylde. Ordered a switch for it today. 4-6 weeks for delivery. Blame it on the Canadians eh? :D

Thanks for the help bud. I've got a friend to buy my mg, so maybe this will be easier than I thought. I'm selling him the switch too, so I'll have to pay $50 for another switch.

Anyways, buy November, barring a screw-up, I'll be back to using a ZW-44 along with my sd-1.

METOOB
# 5
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/29/2006 9:25 am
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyI've had a marshall mg50dfx for a month and hate it more everyday. It sounded good in the store but I am really regretting getting it instead of the valveking.

My question is, can i use the 2 button marshall footswitch for the peavey? Just need to know so i can know how to lit the marshall in the classifieds.

Thankyou.

Hey man,
Is that the MG head you got or the amp? I have a 100DFX (amp) and I think it's great (not the 'best' amp in the world), excellent for playing lead but not that incredible for rhythm. Being solid state you don't get that burning overdrive feel to lead but if you're into sweep picking or high speed runs the clarity on the Marshall is particularly good (the same runs get a bit muddy through tube amps because of the sag effect). Just wondering what it is about the amp you don't like? It has a very distinct Marshall tone and for the money I thought mine was a great buy. What guitar and pickups are you using and what general kind of settings? If it's the head you bought then the tone will be greatly affected by the speaker in the cab... my dfx uses an Eminence speaker but the best Marshall tone is usually got from Celestian...
# 6
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/29/2006 12:31 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanHey man,
Is that the MG head you got or the amp? I have a 100DFX (amp) and I think it's great (not the 'best' amp in the world), excellent for playing lead but not that incredible for rhythm...

It's the mg50dfx combo. 1X12

Just wondering what it is about the amp you don't like?

Meh, it's not terrible. I do want a nice tube clean channell. Also, I find for leads, the overdrive is a little to ...I don't really know how to put it...ug screechy?

It has a very distinct Marshall tone and for the money I thought mine was a great buy.

+1

What guitar and pickups are you using and what general kind of settings?

I'm using and OLP Petrucci with a humbucker from hell and a tone zone. I Have the bass and contour around 6, and the treble at 5. I usually use the FDD just for the volume boost, but prefer the sound without it.

It's not a terrible amp, but it's my only one, and since we're recording soon, I want a good one. I also can't use it for recording on account of that fan drone :( .

Also, would a tube amp (Valveking 112 50 watt) be louder? Togive you and Idea, we practise with the MG cranked. The overdrive is plenty loud, but I can hardly get enough clean volume.

Thanks for the insight bud.

METOOB
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/29/2006 5:05 pm
The 112 Valveking is kind of quiet for a 50 watt tube amp, but that is due to the crappy stock speaker and power tubes. I put an Eminence Wizard speaker in mine, and a set of Ruby 6L6's, and it can get quite loud now. I had no problem whatsoever being plenty loud enough to play with a very loud drummer. Also, the amp is great for recording, because it is on of the quietest amps I've ever heard. Usually, on the gain channel of an amp, with the gain up a good bit, you're gonna get a bit of his, but not with the Valveking. It is super quiet. Of course you'll get a little bit of his, but it isn't enough to even count.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/29/2006 8:12 pm
Not that you should know, but will it still be as loud as my MG?

METOOB
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.