ps3 vs wii

HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
09/20/2006 9:58 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccYea, Microsoft does great with customer support, In my years of owing a regualt Xbox, they fixed it twice, both only took about a week and a half. You have 360 Live by any chance???

Nah, don't do the live thing. Don't have internet at home or a land phone line, just use my cell phone....Hope to get on live one day though...
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 1
HDJ
HDJ
09/20/2006 10:01 pm
Originally Posted by: tehplatypusthat's a little different from being a fire hazard like the original xboxes were. :p

I had heard that the re-designed PS2 (the slim one) is a fire hazard to. Something to do with the power unit. Supposedly they would replace it for free though....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
pizzicatopicker
pizzicatopicker
09/21/2006 12:01 am
Bleh, 600 bucks!?!? Not even considering tax. Arent the games gonna cost 100 dollars themselves?
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/21/2006 3:13 am
Originally Posted by: JFRICKI had heard that the re-designed PS2 (the slim one) is a fire hazard to. Something to do with the power unit. Supposedly they would replace it for free though....

I got one of those so I could play GTA San Andres and a few other games that wern't available for the box. The power block would get xetremely hot, and one time the circut breaker blew, and when I flicked it back on, the ps2 was toast.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/21/2006 3:35 am
Originally Posted by: JFRICKI had heard that the re-designed PS2 (the slim one) is a fire hazard to. Something to do with the power unit. Supposedly they would replace it for free though....

yep! sony sucks. it's a fact.

and as far as the xbox goes...i've heard more than enough stories about people having to bring back their 360. but in general, it's foolish to buy a first generation console....at least wait until second or third.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/21/2006 4:19 am
Psh, at 599 US, no one's gonna buy the PS3. Xbox360 seems the only real option at this point. If only official Nintendo games could be played thereon. It's almost not worth it just to buy the Wii for Smash Bros. and Twilight Princess (almost).
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 6
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/21/2006 4:24 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonPsh, at 599 US, no one's gonna buy the PS3. Xbox360 seems the only real option at this point. If only official Nintendo games could be played thereon. It's almost not worth it just to buy the Wii for Smash Bros. and Twilight Princess (almost).

red steel. metroid prime 3. mario galaxies. tiger woods 07. madden 07. godfather the game.

the system has some good titles coming out on it and they're actually gonna be new....i can't wait.
# 7
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/22/2006 4:55 am
Originally Posted by: tehplatypustiger woods 07. madden 07. godfather the game.

Only on the Wii? Wow, that's news to me, sir.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 8
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/22/2006 5:19 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonOnly on the Wii? Wow, that's news to me, sir.

unique gameplay...the mechanics are reworked just for those games.

i've been on a wii already....i've played one of the games with the reworked mechanics...the most awkward part is having a controller in two parts and a different button layout from the ps2/xbox general layout. but yeah...the movement parts (using the motion sensing capabilities of the wiimote) feel very intuitive and very natural while playing.
# 9
aschleman
aschleman
09/22/2006 11:52 am
The Wii will bomb.... just like N64 and GameCube...

It will be similar to how the Dreamcast bombed for Sega... The technology won't be embraced because there will still be more substance in the other gaming systems and limited amount of game developers that want to stray from putting their main resources towards selling games on much larger scales through Sony and Microsoft on the Xbox/360 and PS2/3 systems... Sony owns ~50% of the market... where Xbox owns ~40% and then only ~10% to Nintendo........ with numbers like that it's hard to imagine it will get game developers to invest multi million dollar projects to utilize the different technology... especially since Nintendos sales history is pretty poor... I don't see the Wii making it. That doesn't mean it won't be a cool system... just like the Dreamcast....... which was the first of the Second gen consoles...... i just think its a little too much change in the gaming industry a little too soon. a bold move by Nintendo.... With their sales history they should have made a safe move.... create a console that is similar to the PS3 and 360.... so more developers would be interested in making games without having to invest so many resources to utilize new technology.... Just my thoughts...
# 10
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/22/2006 5:04 pm
N64? I thought that did pretty well, there were a lot of great games that came out for it and the game saves on its own hard drive unlike the ps1 with the memory cards.

007 was one of the best multiplayer games ever, too bad there wans't online capablities back then.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 11
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/22/2006 6:04 pm
Originally Posted by: elklandercc007 was one of the best multiplayer games ever, too bad there wans't online capablities back then.

Regardless of what HALO may make us think, fps games are to be replaced by newer, shinier, better fps games within a short time. People were playing Goldeneye for WAY too long before we finally got Perfect Dark. N64 did not put out games, and GOOD games, at the pace it should have.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 12
aschleman
aschleman
09/22/2006 6:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonRegardless of what HALO may make us think, fps games are to be replaced by newer, shinier, better fps games within a short time. People were playing Goldeneye for WAY too long before we finally got Perfect Dark. N64 did not put out games, and GOOD games, at the pace it should have.

That's why I considered it a flop. It got Nintendo in a position to compete with Sony and eventually Microsoft but they couldn't follow through with the GameCube... they tried to introduce the mini discs and developers didn't want to invest the extra money to use that technology... not to mention inferior graphics... But N64, despite its use of built in memory... was a inferior system to the playstation in just about every aspect... remember how you had to buy those extra "rumble packs"??? those were built into the Dual Shock PS controllers........ With Sony you had any game you'd want to play... With the cartridges of the 64 there were, once again, less developers interested.... this time because cartridges were known to be dead technology outside portable systems... in the end... the 64 flopped. There were games still being produced for the PS loooooooooooong after the 64 was a fossil in the game industry.
# 13
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/22/2006 8:44 pm
Inferior graphics? Have you seen Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube compared to PS2?
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/22/2006 10:23 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaInferior graphics? Have you seen Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube compared to PS2?

Weren't we talking about 64 vs. PS1?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 15
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/22/2006 11:21 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonRegardless of what HALO may make us think, fps games are to be replaced by newer, shinier, better fps games within a short time. People were playing Goldeneye for WAY too long before we finally got Perfect Dark. N64 did not put out games, and GOOD games, at the pace it should have.

Thats true, I didn't really get into games untill 2000 when I got my first console which was the 64. I stuck to pc games like Duke Nukem, Command and Conquer games, and any other fps. (Anyone heard of Kingpin: Life of Crime....awsome fps in its day.) I didn't play on consoles besides visting freinds and family's house. I moved here to Jersey from Philly in 2000, in Philly, theres was always stuff to do, wasn't any need for playing video games.

Myspace
# 16
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
09/23/2006 12:32 am
I'm a sony man...so...Ps3
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 17
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/23/2006 4:10 am
Originally Posted by: aschlemanThe Wii will bomb.... just like N64 and GameCube...

It will be similar to how the Dreamcast bombed for Sega... The technology won't be embraced because there will still be more substance in the other gaming systems and limited amount of game developers that want to stray from putting their main resources towards selling games on much larger scales through Sony and Microsoft on the Xbox/360 and PS2/3 systems... Sony owns ~50% of the market... where Xbox owns ~40% and then only ~10% to Nintendo........ with numbers like that it's hard to imagine it will get game developers to invest multi million dollar projects to utilize the different technology... especially since Nintendos sales history is pretty poor... I don't see the Wii making it. That doesn't mean it won't be a cool system... just like the Dreamcast....... which was the first of the Second gen consoles...... i just think its a little too much change in the gaming industry a little too soon. a bold move by Nintendo.... With their sales history they should have made a safe move.... create a console that is similar to the PS3 and 360.... so more developers would be interested in making games without having to invest so many resources to utilize new technology.... Just my thoughts...

your estimates are way off. it's more like sony got about 40% with the ps2, gamecube cut off about 25 and xbox got 35.

quit selling nintendo short.
# 18
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/23/2006 4:49 am
Please, not another Stackny style debate.

Myspace
# 19
aschleman
aschleman
09/23/2006 6:48 pm
Originally Posted by: tehplatypusyour estimates are way off. it's more like sony got about 40% with the ps2, gamecube cut off about 25 and xbox got 35.

quit selling nintendo short.

i'm just quoting an article i read from wired magazine about future consoles... those numbers are from the american market as well... not world wide... and it only included consoles... not portable systems. i would imagine that nintendos numbers would be larger in the world wide market though...

either way...nintendo builds consoles for kids. and the wii will fade away just like every other system they've built since nes and snes.... the 64 wasn't a total bust but couldn't compete in the long run with playstation........

end debate.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.