Fretboard Memorization

donf
donf
09/13/2006 7:38 pm
What worked best for you when memorizing the notes on the fretboard? I've found that locating the B\C and the E\F combinations around the fretboard, helped me tremendously.

Are there any references on this board to fretboard memorization? I haven't seen any yet during my search.
Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/13/2006 8:20 pm
I think one of the most effective ways is to memorize the notes on the E & A strings and then apply those one and two octaves up.

Once you know the notes on the E string, for example, you only need go up 2 strings (to the D string) and 2 frets to find the same letter note one octave higher. Then, from the D string up 2 strings (to the B string) and 3 frets to find the next highest octave of the same note.

Same thing on the A string leaping over to the G string (2 frets higher) and then the high E string (3 frets higher).
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
alucard0941
alucard0941
09/13/2006 11:26 pm
If you just naturally play barr chords alot, the eAD strings will come easily to memorize

But try not to sit down and stare at the fretboard for memorization. It really makes it more of a task than it actually is.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 3
ren
ren
09/14/2006 7:51 am
when I needed to memorize it for an exam, I made myself some cards - 1 for each fret listing the notes... I probably had it down after a month at 10 minutes a day...

There's also a computer game called 'Fretboard Warrior' which is free to play online here and theres 'advanced fretboard trainer' which isn't free but has more features.

My students seem to like the computer game angle. Using the octave method to find the notes is fine, but it does slow you down. Depends if that matters to you....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
Emetic
Emetic
09/14/2006 2:05 pm
Originally Posted by: donfWhat worked best for you when memorizing the notes on the fretboard? I've found that locating the B\C and the E\F combinations around the fretboard, helped me tremendously.

Are there any references on this board to fretboard memorization? I haven't seen any yet during my search.

The B/C E/F suggestion helped me out a lot. Thanks!

And some beginners (like me) might find this of interest: http://www.essentialguitar.com/page3.htm
# 5
donf
donf
09/14/2006 3:46 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelI think one of the most effective ways is to memorize the notes on the E & A strings and then apply those one and two octaves up.

Once you know the notes on the E string, for example, you only need go up 2 strings (to the D string) and 2 frets to find the same letter note one octave higher. Then, from the D string up 2 strings (to the B string) and 3 frets to find the next highest octave of the same note.

Same thing on the A string leaping over to the G string (2 frets higher) and then the high E string (3 frets higher).

Yup
The E and A is easy enough (as well as the high e). I could name all the notes on the fret board, but its not as instant as I'd like it to be. Using the E&A strings in conjunction with recognizing where the B/C and E/F combos are, helped out. ;)
# 6
donf
donf
09/14/2006 3:50 pm
Originally Posted by: alucard0941If you just naturally play barr chords alot, the eAD strings will come easily to memorize

But try not to sit down and stare at the fretboard for memorization. It really makes it more of a task than it actually is.

Yeah, but I'm known for making things harder than they should be. I almost have to disect it, which usually leads me to trouble. Later on, I'll look at the same situation with a non-chalante type attitude, and it'll hit me. "Oh, there it is, I see know". But until then, I usually take the long road. :D :D
# 7
donf
donf
09/14/2006 4:03 pm
Originally Posted by: zreynoldspwhen I needed to memorize it for an exam, I made myself some cards - 1 for each fret listing the notes... I probably had it down after a month at 10 minutes a day...

There's also a computer game called 'Fretboard Warrior' which is free to play online here and theres 'advanced fretboard trainer' which isn't free but has more features.

My students seem to like the computer game angle. Using the octave method to find the notes is fine, but it does slow you down. Depends if that matters to you....

I like the game. Pretty neat. I do own AFT. I found that sitting with the guitar itself was the most helpful.

I had another program at one time that makes you put a story to your fretboard, for example, naming your notes after friends or movie characters and making a scene. So, if I'm at the 5th fret, and I start with 'A', I'll name it Arnold Swarzenagger. Directly below that, or a 4th away is the 'D', or Danny Devito. So Arnold grabs Danny who in turn is yelling at "G"eorge Bush (which is a 4th below the 'D'), and so on.

Pretty neat idea and you could create your own story. :D
# 8
ren
ren
09/14/2006 4:15 pm
Originally Posted by: donfI had another program at one time that makes you put a story to your fretboard, for example, naming your notes after friends or movie characters and making a scene. So, if I'm at the 5th fret, and I start with 'A', I'll name it Arnold Swarzenagger. Directly below that, or a 4th away is the 'D', or Danny Devito. So Arnold grabs Danny who in turn is yelling at "G"eorge Bush (which is a 4th below the 'D'), and so on.

Pretty neat idea and you could create your own story. :D

Ah, I remember that Fret2Fret crap.... seriously kids, don't waste your money... :rolleyes: The guy (Mike Slaiter wasn't it?) has loads of other BS products out there.... 'Learn to play like Segovia in 13 seconds' and stuff like that....

I never figured out what use it was to know how the notes wrap around vertically on the neck instead of up the strings. What you need is to get to a place where you know what the note is, rather than having to refer to other notes / octaves / whatever to figure it out. Likewise, you should be able to find all the A's on the fretboard pretty much without thinking....

I have found that just looking at the neck of the guitar is too daunting a task when you start - which is why I like the cards. I have my students learn the first 5 frets, and then move up in stages until it's all in there. AFT is OK, but proabbly not for everyone...

And that online game I posted is good (as it's free!) but I find it takes longer to find the button to click than it does to actually name the note. I can only score about 40 on the 2 minute version because it takes me so long to hit the buttons....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 9
donf
donf
09/14/2006 4:47 pm
Originally Posted by: zreynoldsp'Learn to play like Segovia in 13 seconds' and stuff like that....

:D Thats funny

Finding the notes, for example, the A note all over the fret board was a good way, and was the way when I started. For some reason, locating the the B/C and E/F positions, helped me in mapping it out.

I don't know why :rolleyes: , it just did. :D

By the way....are you from the Bronx?
# 10
ren
ren
09/15/2006 8:27 am
Originally Posted by: donfBy the way....are you from the Bronx?

nah... :D

I'm in the UK... all over the place but when I make it home I'm in Birmingham, known in the UK as 'Brum' (and alot of far nastier things too!).... and I use 'The BrumX' on forums....

# 11
Trinivalts
Trinivalts
09/15/2006 1:45 pm
I don't know the notes (I guess I'll have to learn them sometime), but I can play linearly well enought 'cuz I memorize the scales in 2-4 note blocks on one string and then I memorize what kind of blocks will come next in all directions (up,down and the same string) and the blocks are overlaping. Combined with boxes it's a lot of help, so I used to play in boxes and linearly on two (or more) strings or just the diagonal boxes (2 per scale, at least for me).
# 12
pure
pure
09/16/2006 4:07 am
I usually play a song and instead of thinking of the sound, i say the notes so i can associate the the sound with that note.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.