View post (Fretboard Memorization)

View thread

ren
ren
09/14/2006 4:15 pm
Originally Posted by: donfI had another program at one time that makes you put a story to your fretboard, for example, naming your notes after friends or movie characters and making a scene. So, if I'm at the 5th fret, and I start with 'A', I'll name it Arnold Swarzenagger. Directly below that, or a 4th away is the 'D', or Danny Devito. So Arnold grabs Danny who in turn is yelling at "G"eorge Bush (which is a 4th below the 'D'), and so on.

Pretty neat idea and you could create your own story. :D

Ah, I remember that Fret2Fret crap.... seriously kids, don't waste your money... :rolleyes: The guy (Mike Slaiter wasn't it?) has loads of other BS products out there.... 'Learn to play like Segovia in 13 seconds' and stuff like that....

I never figured out what use it was to know how the notes wrap around vertically on the neck instead of up the strings. What you need is to get to a place where you know what the note is, rather than having to refer to other notes / octaves / whatever to figure it out. Likewise, you should be able to find all the A's on the fretboard pretty much without thinking....

I have found that just looking at the neck of the guitar is too daunting a task when you start - which is why I like the cards. I have my students learn the first 5 frets, and then move up in stages until it's all in there. AFT is OK, but proabbly not for everyone...

And that online game I posted is good (as it's free!) but I find it takes longer to find the button to click than it does to actually name the note. I can only score about 40 on the 2 minute version because it takes me so long to hit the buttons....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com