View post (Fretboard Memorization)

View thread

donf
donf
09/14/2006 4:03 pm
Originally Posted by: zreynoldspwhen I needed to memorize it for an exam, I made myself some cards - 1 for each fret listing the notes... I probably had it down after a month at 10 minutes a day...

There's also a computer game called 'Fretboard Warrior' which is free to play online here and theres 'advanced fretboard trainer' which isn't free but has more features.

My students seem to like the computer game angle. Using the octave method to find the notes is fine, but it does slow you down. Depends if that matters to you....

I like the game. Pretty neat. I do own AFT. I found that sitting with the guitar itself was the most helpful.

I had another program at one time that makes you put a story to your fretboard, for example, naming your notes after friends or movie characters and making a scene. So, if I'm at the 5th fret, and I start with 'A', I'll name it Arnold Swarzenagger. Directly below that, or a 4th away is the 'D', or Danny Devito. So Arnold grabs Danny who in turn is yelling at "G"eorge Bush (which is a 4th below the 'D'), and so on.

Pretty neat idea and you could create your own story. :D
Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department