:d

wreckens
wreckens
09/05/2006 12:27 pm
hmm i little word of advice plz!
my song im currently play rite now are like
nothing else matters (metalica, passed already)
sweet child o mine (still stuck up on the solo)
hotel california ( T_T verse part is pissing me off GRRR)
so wat lvl are im at right now?
any tips for the slash's solo?
and any other nice classical song to play?
# 1
ren
ren
09/05/2006 1:33 pm
The 'level' you're at is defined more by your overall ability with the instrument than the ability to play particular things in my opinion.

You might be able to learn 'For the love of God' note perfect, and not be able to play anything else. That would make you a beginner with a hell of a party piece! :D

Level is also subjective - it used to be that I wrote 'advanced' on some of my lessons that are now listed as intermediate, as my 'advanced' lessons have become more advanced. Likewise, if I see some music in 'Guitarist' magazine listed as advanced, I'll be able to do it easily, but in 'Guitar Techniques' when they say advanced most of the time it really is!

Think of it in terms of what you have achieved Vs what you want to achieve. The 'levels' don't mean much. Beginners always think they are intermediate, intermediates always think they are advanced and most advanced players I know think they are intermediate....

Your view changes - the more you know, the more you realise how little you know.... :rolleyes:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
markc2005
markc2005
09/05/2006 1:34 pm
i cant really say what level your at but as for classical songs there were a couple posted in the thread i made in "famous bands and artist" called fun songs to play i think and i think what it is by mark knopfler sounds cool on classical
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 3
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
09/05/2006 4:57 pm
So if someone thinks that they're intermediate they're either advanced or beginner... :D
War?
# 4
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
09/05/2006 7:09 pm
Gt has a lesson on Fur Elise for acoustic or electric, it might only be for Full Access though.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 5
findinghomer
findinghomer
09/05/2006 9:08 pm
do you know how to finger-pick, wreckens? also , how long have you been playing?
# 6
wreckens
wreckens
09/06/2006 5:52 am
finger pick not much
still learning it
about nine month..does it mean i suck for a 9month player?
wat kind of thing that shows skill for a certain guitarist?
# 7
ren
ren
09/06/2006 10:49 am
Originally Posted by: wreckens...about nine month..does it mean i suck for a 9month player?

There is no answer to this question. There is also a massive difference between playing for 9 months at an hour a day every day, and playing for nine months for ten minutes each Sunday.

All that matters is how happy you are with your progress. It sounds like you're not happy with it..... practicing more is the only solution. Maybe focussing on techniques useful to the style you want to play.

The only guide I could give is that if someone came to me with zero guitar experience and started taking lessons, after nine months I would probably be working with them on LCM Grade 3, for which you have to know the following:

In Any Key:

2 Octave natural Minor, Major, Blues, Minor Pentatonic & Major Pentatonic Scales
2 Octave Major & Minor Arpeggios in 1 position (and naming the notes)
All Major & Minor barre chords rooted on 6th & 5th string
All 'open' minor 7th, Major 7th & Dominant 7th chords

you would also have to play a rhythm piece which would consist of the chords listed above, and you'd need to be able to read enough music to recognise repeats and basic directions. You would need to be able to name all notes on the fretboard up to the 12th fret (although you can use the octaves to find them). You would also have an aural assesment where you have to repeat phrases played by the examiner. There is a lead examination where you improvise over a chord progression built on those listed above.

The full syllabus for all grades is here if you are interested.

Obviously, this shows the academic way of learning, but gives an idea of what you might want to be looking at....

Hope it helps - as I say, it's not so much what level you're at as how happy you are yourself with your growth as a player.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 8
Trinivalts
Trinivalts
09/06/2006 10:57 am
Why do u care so much? Do u need to know that to tell someone how good/bad u are? It's just me, but I rate myself by the pieces of music I make, technique is also important, but I found that the best way to learn it is by makeing new pieces of music and using the techniques in it not just doing some boring exercises all the time, of course u will have to do some part over and over again until it sounds right, but it will be your lick/riff (not some boring exercise) of witch u'll be proud and that will give u the feeling of fullfilment.
# 9
wreckens
wreckens
09/06/2006 12:26 pm
In Any Key:

2 Octave natural Minor, Major, Blues, Minor Pentatonic & Major Pentatonic Scales
2 Octave Major & Minor Arpeggios in 1 position (and naming the notes)
All Major & Minor barre chords rooted on 6th & 5th string
All 'open' minor 7th, Major 7th & Dominant 7th chords

urghh... a little word for advice plz
i just know a little bit of them
sumtime i dont get the point reading faqs on the internet
maybe its because i dont really know wat do they used for..
and it just made me (lets just forget bout it) although im really2 want to know it. thats why i search all the way and end up here!
for arpeggios and chords maybe im kinda cool with it .. i think XP
just the minor and major concept .. yes i know major its like wwwhwwh
but it seems i dont know "yes its whole and its half." so what it does?...
and for the pentatonic i ussualy read people used to say when a riff end up at a note E they must use pentatonic E (minor/major) scale or sumthing like that.is it right? *mumbling stupidly..* <-- FTW! HAX!
maybe i just learnt guitar in a wrong way and doesnt hv any basic..
well yeah my condition is kinda suks
teachers here in my town is kinda costly
and im keeping my cash for my 1st plug in guitar..
and i though i can learn i little bit in the net
so if u guys can give a little help and explaination it will soo cool XD
thx guys for replying here! im really much apreciating it
and i appologize if i just mention sumthing that pissed u off aite?
# 10
ren
ren
09/06/2006 1:25 pm
looks like you're trying to take one too much at once. I posted an idea of what a nine month student of mine would be working on, but that seems to have given you more questions than answers. I'll try to answer some of the questions you asked above.

The difference between a major and minor scale is that the third degree of a minor scale is flattened by a semi tone (if you play a 1 octave major scale, but drop down the third note you play by 1 fret, you're now playing a minor scale).

Pentatonics are the easiest scales, as they only have five notes. You could use E minor pentatonic to solo over a chord progression in an E minor key, but a riff ending on a particular note doesn't mean that the riff is in the key of that note.

I understand that lessons are expensive, but I really think you should have 1 or 2, just to join up the gaps in your knowledge so you're not confused. Either that, or buy a beginners intoduction type guitar book, and work through it from the beginning.

I'm not saying you're rubbish or anything, but if you keep trying to go forward while not understanding some of this stuff, it'll make it harder for you to learn.

If you have more questions - be specific and ask them one at a time.... it'll make it easier to answer you.... :D

# 11
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
09/06/2006 1:32 pm
Wreckens --

It's not that you have "pissed" anybody off. It is now everybody knows your "situation".

1) New Guitar player
2) Playing for 9 months
3) little to no "formal" guitar instruction
4) 9 months of self teaching from websites and possibly some books or mags. Kudos for sticking with it this far.

Now that everyone knows more background it is much easier to help you along.

Now this is just an opinion but you may be, right now, trying to learn too much at one time. This could be causing you some frustration.

Since you are currently teaching yourself you must develop a self-discipline that exceeds those that take "formal" instruction.

The difference is that you currently do not have someone who can look and hear what you are doing "at the exact moment" that you play to correct any mistakes and provide insight into what you are learning.

I would recomend that you take a good "look" at your playing. Pick 1 thing you need to work on or would like to learn and devote/focus your "Practice Time" to that 1 thing until you can play it 3 times in a row with out any mistakes. Give yourself 30 minutes each day to that one specific thing and do not move on to the next until you have it down. This could take days, weeks or months.

The rest of the time outside of the dedicated 30 minutes of focused practice you can play around on all things you know currently or other things but with out the intensity and expectations.

There is a saying "crawl before you walk". You are in a place where we have all been. Stick with it and we are here to help.

2 cents. Good luck and Rock On!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 12
wreckens
wreckens
09/07/2006 9:39 am
ok! thx guys! im very much in a comfortable situation now
that just cheer me up tee hee :D
anyway does an acouistic guitar can take u far enough?
well if its chord its kinda orite
but if its solo?
i've done most of the pentatonic scale still cant get my hand fast enough
been practicing 1 hour only bcoz of exam in the corner
maybe i will spend time more after the exam
so any ideas?
# 13
ren
ren
09/07/2006 10:15 am
An acoustic guitar is fine if it suits the style you play. It may be difficult to play very fast because of the size of the neck, and you may be limited by the reduced access past the 12th fret, but people make it work.

It's all practice. If you want to get faster / better in whatever way, you have to spend hours every day playing. Spend some time on learning scales and chords, some time on technique (alternate picking / legato / whatever you use), and crucially some time at the end where you just play....

There's no point in learning a load of scales and chords you're not going to use. Get a backing track off the 'listening post' section. September's is in E, so play the backing and just walk through an E minor pentatonic scale as a start. Try to come up with short melodic phrases, and just see what happens. Some of what you play will probably be rubbish, some of it will probably be good.... but hopefully you'll enjoy it. You could try using the full E minor scale too.... just experiment with it....

# 14
wreckens
wreckens
09/07/2006 11:52 am
does a pick up guitar means a guitar that can be use with or without an amplifier?
and wats the diffrences between scale and pentatonic scale?
and how to use them... XD
# 15
ren
ren
09/07/2006 12:31 pm
I think you might want to start separate topics for your questions, rather than throwing them all at once. The search function will also answer alot of your questions. This thread has gone all over the place... That said:

A guitar with pickups needs some sort of amplifier, yes.

A scale is a scale. Pentatonics are 5 note scales, a major scale has seven etc etc. You use scales in the same sort of way - but different notes fit better over different chords, so you choose the scale that sounds best. There is theory behind it, but your ears will tell you what sounds good and what doesn't.

Just download the september backing track and have a try playing anything using an e minor scale over it as a start point. Then try playing an E major scale over the backing track, and notice how some of the notes don''t sound so cool.....

Don't come back until you've tried it.... ;)

# 16
wreckens
wreckens
09/08/2006 6:26 am
haha ok thx dude! very much!
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.