Local music Scene

Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
08/20/2006 12:10 am
I'm in Plymouth, Devon UK, years ago there use to be lots of local bands in a string of Pubs and bars around the city.
But over the years it has died away - I think because of cost, it has been replaced by single guitarists jamming along with midi systems and kareoke.
Is your town the same ?
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/20/2006 1:04 am
There's not much of a 'scene' where I live, but there are a lot of guys my dad's age (including my dad) who get together every now and again and play music, just for their own enjoyment.

As far as bands go, there's one that I know of, besides mine. There's a lot of younger kids who take guitar or violin lessons, though, so maybe in the future Inwood will be the hub of some musical revolution.
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
08/20/2006 1:42 am
There is no musical scene in my hometown besides the community orchestra. The town my college is in is plagued with the most sucky garage bands imaginable.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
08/20/2006 3:11 am
We have a pretty big hardcore scene over here, the only problem is that its hardcore, and its only fun to go to 1 show a month, if that.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
metalshadow
metalshadow
08/20/2006 3:41 am
Local music is HUGE around here. There are 5 bands that I know of off the top of my head, and if you go 30 minutes down the road, a good 25 of em.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/20/2006 5:33 am
Calgary is getting better. Club owners are seeing that they can make good money with local bands. It's so important for people to support live music. Otherwise, owners will just pipe in canned music.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
ren
ren
08/21/2006 11:11 am
I'm in London at the moment, and it's pretty good. I'm off to Jam night at the Blues Bar tonight (It's on every Monday). There seem to be alot of gigs on from full on stadium bands to local wannabes - Camden is good for seeing new bands as well.

Birmingham is still OK for live music too...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 7
aschleman
aschleman
08/21/2006 3:24 pm
I currently live in a college town... so the music scene is as such. A lot of make-shift bands... The biggest thing that seems to be going on here though is the acoustic shows.... There are a few good acoustic acts around here that I've played with... Some have recording contracts with a local studio called Hoosier Surf. The biggest thing to come out of my hometown recently is LD Miller of the Clayton Miller Blues Band.... He was on "America's Got Talent" he's a 12 year old harmonica player and John Popper of Blues Traveler called him the greatest harmonica player he'd ever seen......... haha. But yeah, I;ve played with his brother Cole and Clayton... they both can play. Look LD Miller up on youtube.com and you'll see a bunch of vids of him and his brothers. Another good acoustic act here in West Lafayette is Kyle Bledsoe.... check him out on myspace.

I forgot to add Michael Kelsey... He's f'n amazing... if you like unique looping and crazy guitar playing... check him out at michaelkelsey.com check his vids... The guy won the Guitarmageddon competition in 2003 with an acoustic guitar.... NUTS!!
# 8
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
08/21/2006 3:56 pm
Originally Posted by: metalshadowLocal music is HUGE around here. There are 5 bands that I know of off the top of my head, and if you go 30 minutes down the road, a good 25 of em.

Yo, I see your from SC also, what part?....While there is a lot of bands around here (Columbia), the [U]support[/U] for the local music just sucks. We've been playing in Columbia (well, most of SC) for a couple of years and we still have a bigger following in Charlotte and Atlanta.

By the way Metalshadow, we (Havoc Din) are headlining at New Brookland Tavern on Thursday, August 31st and opening for Quickfuse on Saturday, Sept. 23rd at Headliners.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.