True Legends?

Captain Crunch
Captain Crunch
08/11/2001 2:20 am
I'm all in favor of giving credit where credit is due. But in my opinion many people (excluding me) seem to share the same views on stars such as Cobain and Hendrix. Its as almost these are the blueprints for starting guitarists these days. I mean honestly think of playing the guitar for a crowd of people who are requesting songs, Most likely they expect you to know Hendrix and Nirvana's stuff because they're "legends". They lived rock lifestyles, were semi-innovative, and were "ok" at guitar. For amateur guitarists youll understand what I mean by the third one later. Not very legendary to me. Sounds like a lot of musicians I know actually, and they will never recieve "legend" status even if they do die. My wish is that today's society respected truely gifted musicians that are still alive rather than semi-talented ones who recieve most of their success after death.
Whoo! Man I love expressing my opinion! Too bad it takes so damn long! So.. what do you all think?!And try not to make yourself sound smart by using words like post-mortum(after death) or something Cuz it always throws me off or maybe I'm just kinda slow :( Im gonna stop typing now and give you the floor! LOL.
-Captain Crunch
# 1
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
08/11/2001 12:37 pm
i kind of agree about thier reputations being blown out of proportion. That fact is though that Kurt's stuff is catchy and easy to play for anyone starting out, he wasn't a good guitarist as such (he was ok as you say), but he ,like Hendrix, was a fantastic song writer. There is more to songs than your Steve via licks, I mean the actual arangement, and vocals play a huge part (listen to on "Drain you", by nirvana, THE WHOLE SONG can be summed up as follows
Verse: A5 C#5 F#5 B5
Chorus: A5 G5 F#5
A5 F#5 play that 3x
E5 D5 D#5

but make no mistake it's a great song, with a great little music break)...

Hendrix was a great guitarist, listen to the intro to "the burning of the midnight lamp". To me, if a some one can come up with something that good on guitar (even though it doesn't take much skill to play), they are great. Your good on guitar if the stuff you write sounds GOOD, not by how fast or accurate you are (although that helps)...

[Edited by educatedfilm on 08-11-2001 at 08:40 AM]
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.