diatonic vs other types of scales

Fret spider
Fret spider
06/09/2006 11:49 pm
at the moment i think i understand the modal harmony. but i am also aware there are certain scales that dont use just whole and half tone intervalls (i do not mean pentatonics because they simply miss out notes), like the harmonic minor/majour.

my guitar teacher told me thatthe reason the harmonic minor was created was the following. say you have a minor mode eg aolian, normally, modally speaking a 1 5 progression would contain two minor chords eg in A Aolian Aminor to Eminor. but for some reason in clasical musioc they thought it sounded better if the chord progresion was A minor to E majour. this means the third of the E chord was raise a semitone. this meant the 7th of the Aolinan scale had to be raised.

now it seem obvious that if the progression A minor E majour comes up you should use the harmonic minor, but when else can u use it? clearly the alteration in the scale will lead to strange chords like augmented and fully diminished ones, so again if u used these chords you should play in harmonic minor.

so overall what are some of these strange other scales, how can we apply them to music and how can you mesh diatonic and these other scales together?
# 1
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
06/10/2006 4:24 am
Yes you are right, some styles of music in minor keys have the 5th chord as Dominant 7th chord, rather than a minor chord. A big part of the reason for this is to create musical tension with a more satisfying release.

for example, in this chord progression:

Aminor7b5//D7//Gminor

The D7 to the Gminor sounds really satisfying compared to say Dminor to Gminor.
The G harmonic minor is of course a good scale to play over this progression, as is the melodic minor ascending.

I could go into greater detail but it would be confusing....
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 2
Fret spider
Fret spider
06/10/2006 3:27 pm
ok i folow you so far. thanks for the reply

but what exactly makes certain chords 'tense', is it something to do with the intervals in them, or what.

and how do you switch between diatonic and other scales.
# 3
axemaster911
axemaster911
06/10/2006 5:34 pm
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderat the moment i think i understand the modal harmony. but i am also aware there are certain scales that dont use just whole and half tone intervalls (i do not mean pentatonics because they simply miss out notes), like the harmonic minor/majour.

my guitar teacher told me thatthe reason the harmonic minor was created was the following. say you have a minor mode eg aolian, normally, modally speaking a 1 5 progression would contain two minor chords eg in A Aolian Aminor to Eminor. but for some reason in clasical musioc they thought it sounded better if the chord progresion was A minor to E majour. this means the third of the E chord was raise a semitone. this meant the 7th of the Aolinan scale had to be raised.

now it seem obvious that if the progression A minor E majour comes up you should use the harmonic minor, but when else can u use it? clearly the alteration in the scale will lead to strange chords like augmented and fully diminished ones, so again if u used these chords you should play in harmonic minor.

so overall what are some of these strange other scales, how can we apply them to music and how can you mesh diatonic and these other scales together?

This is the kind question I like to see. Most gutiarists with any experience that I have played with are complete know it alls. I mean you cant show them a thing, two, or three years of teaching them selves by ear, (and maby some teacher, or book study,) and out of the blue they transform from beginers to masters. I have stuck my neck out and just asked a question I may have, ( knowing that only a few people in the world could give me a correct, helpful answer ), and the rest of my answers on the web. would be from know it alls,( which is ok, but the sarcasm can be a bit too much )!
But, belive me when I say, I dont care which of the 12 diatonic keys your playing in, Knowing that damm diatonic all the way through the neck, top to bottom is the only way a beginer can start sowing on their stripes, and moving up in the ranks, and pay grade. All it is is a pattern that flows through out the neck, and stays the same in all 12 keys, just raised, or lowered, and is hinged by the root note of the key your in.
Now, tell me you do know your diatonic through out the neck ( speed is not as important as staying in key ). Chord progresions fall into the same diatonic scale as the lead player. Next time your able transpose a 7th chord over the diatonic key your playing in, and you will see the importance of knowing your diatonic. Dude, remember chord finger positions change from key, to key, so get out your chord dictionary, and scale dictionary just to be safe. Know what key your in, and which chords are in that key is the mind opener, after that KEEP practicing, and, your shred will be on.
Music Theroy, its not an exact science, or it wouldent have that theroy stigma stuck to it. It would be called music doctrine.
All I can do is let you in on what has helped me, and the diatonic "scale" , or mode, or chromatic 144, what ever you want to call it, is the launching pad for Masters. If your playing along and hit a out of key note in diatonic, and it sounds COOL, write it down as an accidental for future study. When you get your tab book full of those kind of notations, and tweeks to the diatonic scale, then I would say go for it, and learn as many exotic scales as you want, but you will soon see that most,or all of the exotic, wild scales out there are raised, or lowered from old Diatonic.
Then to change keys just move the whole pattern in relation to tonic, or root. Major key, minor key, no matter, same pattern just diffrent scale positions.( easier said that done ). But really man if you no s**t dont have full diatonic capability through out the whole neck your asking for problems when playing along with other instrments in a band setting all trying to stay in key, and possibly critisium from those that now their scales allready, so they say. ( I would draw up a 24 fret, six string diagram and tell them fill in ALL the notes to prove it )! Thats a good way to clear a room.
No s**t spider be truthful, do you know a complete diatonic scale through out the neck, and if not look closely, you will find most of your original songs notes falling into diatonic patterns , because even the untrained ear has a nose. But what do I know, dont take it from me, get a nice fat music theroy book, and see if in all those scientificly designed termonologys, and endless repetition thru keys that are no diffrent other than tonic. Think of all the diffrent keys that have the same fret position, same pattern, diffrent root.
The farther you get into music the more it makes me want go back to the good old days of 3 chord harmonys, and pentatonic scales that blasted thru all keys in one song. But, someone like me, no way Im going to let you all pass me, must try to improve every day, or risk being blown away.
But thats just me, Know it alls must CHILL !
# 4
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
06/10/2006 8:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderok i folow you so far. thanks for the reply

but what exactly makes certain chords 'tense', is it something to do with the intervals in them, or what.

and how do you switch between diatonic and other scales.

I'll answer your second question first. Take a really common chord progression like this:

Aminor/Gmajor/Fmajor/E7
repeat

The progression is in the key of Aminor. Notice how the 5th chord at the end is a dominant 7th rather than a minor chord. An E minor chord would have a 3rd of G, but the Dom7th chord has G# as it's 3rd. But look at the progression, there is a G chord in there which doesn't fit with the G#.
An easy way to play over this progression would be to play the A Aeolian (or pentatonic) minor over the A, G and F, but switch to the A harmonic minor (with the G#) for the E7 chord.

That was probably the simplest example I could think of, now let's get on to the subject of tension and release.
It's been long known for jazz players especially the the 2-5-1 and the minor 2-5-1 progressions are very satisfying and pleasant sounding progressions.
take the minor 2-5-1 that I showed you earlier:

Aminor7b5//D7//Gminor

notice how when you play the D7, you can sort of hear it 'wanting' to go to the Gminor, like you know it's coming. This is sort of what I mean by tension, a tense chord is a chord that 'wants' to go somewhere else. Take the Gminor chord now, the Gminor chord in that progression is quite happy where it is, you can't feel it wanting to go anywhere.

There are ways to make chords even more tense, so that the release is even more satisfying, here's another minor 2-5-1 in Cminor where I have changed the 5th chord even more to make it want to go to Cminor even more:

Dminor7b5//D7#5/Cminor

here's how to play it:

-------------------------------------------------------------
----6----------4--------4------------------------------------
----5----------4--------5------------------------------------
----6----------3--------5------------------------------------
----5----------x--------3------------------------------------
---------------3---------------------------------------------

can you notice the G chord wanting to go to the Cminor?

You see, this sort of theory does not fit in with modal theory and the major scale, it just fits in with what sounds good to the ear.
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 5
Fret spider
Fret spider
06/11/2006 11:50 pm
firstly axemaster i decided to test how much of the diatonic shape i could remeber, i got 4 out of the five caged shapes write first time and the remaining one right in a few minuets, so yes i pretty much know the entire diatonic scale up the entire neck. yes i do also know each seventh chord for each note in the diatonic scale, and yes i am also aware most song contain only the diatonic notes. yes i stilll have work to do, memorising which note of eache scale is the root 2nd third etc of each mode, but i am getting there. bearing in mind all of this i dont see why i cant be interested in other scales, stepping a bit outside the norm. i know i have to still work on the diatonic, but only learning one thing at a time i find is boaring.

to jullian, thanks a lot for the reply i am understanding what your saying and its great, any other infomation or examples would be apreciated.
# 6
SweepFreak
SweepFreak
06/12/2006 9:05 pm
But thats just me, Know it alls must CHILL ! -posted by Axemaster911

Lol you have the audacity to make an ignorant and long-winded post culminating in a very subjective,simple-minded admonition....advising "know-it-all's" to "chill".Sir,you are a hypocrite,regardless of your knowledge,or the lackthereof.Take your own advice.
# 7
Fret spider
Fret spider
06/12/2006 9:39 pm
i am not saying i know it all. if i came across that way i apologise because it was not my intention.

i know i have lots and lots to learn. i just find it anoying when i am attacked because i want to understand something.
# 8
Fret spider
Fret spider
06/12/2006 10:29 pm
sorry fo the double post i thought you were talkin about me sweepfrreak.
so my last post was a bit pointless. anyway no hard feelings
# 9
Mike_Philippov
Mike_Philippov
06/14/2006 3:47 pm
To add to Julian Vickers post, the reason why the V7 chords want to go to I has a lot to do with the intervals present in each chord.

Let's take E7 chord to A minor (both triads in root position). We have notes E G# B D and A C E. Obviously we are in the key of A harmonic minor here.

If you just played the bass notes by themselves (play your low E string on the guitar and then the A string) you will notice that that by itself sounds very final. You are playing the 5th scale degree of the A minor scale (E) that goes to scale degree 1. This is the strongest relationship in tonal music as you are playing the two strongest notes in a key (scale degrees 5 and 1) so this is reason one.

The second reason is the tritone that is present between notes G# and D. The tritone is a very unstable interval that cries for resolution. It wants to resolve to notes A and C which form a stable interval of a minor 3rd.

Another reason is the presence of the leading tone (G#). Play the A harmonic minor scale and stop at G#. Your ear will be BEGGING you to resolve it to A. Not doing so is almost like defying the law of gravity. So this is another reason why V7 chords pull so strongly to I. V chords (regular triads) want to resolve to I also but not as strongly because the tritone is not present if the V chord does not have a 7th.

Make sense?

Let me know if something is unclear.

Mike.
# 10
Fret spider
Fret spider
06/14/2006 10:35 pm
thanks for the reply that wass helpfull
this was actually somthing i meant to ask about. this stability thing.

so far i understand there are stable and unstable intervals. i assume majour thirds and perfect fiths are stable intervals and obviosly diminished arent. do you mind giving me a list of the intervals that are stable and those that arent.
these stable and unstable intervals in a chord make the chord stable or unstable. if a chord is unstable it wants to reolve to a stable chord.
(is this right)

now want i am a bit unsure about is why choose Aminor as the stable chord to resolve to, for instance why not resolve to any other minor chord.eg bminor. now is it because the notes Gsharp is a semitone away from A and D is a tone away from C, kinda like it is the closest possible inteval that is stable. or is i to do with the fact that the interval of a perect fourth is very strong interval, so therfore the root E will go nicely to A, so the chord might as well be built arround this chord. or do both apply.

lastly can we use the fact that the root note likes to take intervalls of fourths (as well as fiths and 2nds, correct me if i am wrong), to find stable chord progresions like 1 4 5 progression, (intervall of a fourth [1 to 4] then a second [4 to 5] then either down by a fith or up by a fourth [5 to 1], although i guess this is kinda the same). is method valid, could you like say a 1 2 5 progression would seem to fit because there is a interval of a second [1 to 2], an intervall aof a fourth [2 to 5] and then an intervall of a fourth or fith [5 to 1]. will this method work or at least provide a basic guide, or is it completely rubish.
# 11
SweepFreak
SweepFreak
06/15/2006 11:34 am
Originally Posted by: Fret spideri am not saying i know it all. if i came across that way i apologise because it was not my intention.

i know i have lots and lots to learn. i just find it anoying when i am attacked because i want to understand something.

My post wasn't directed at you spider,it was directed at the person I quoted.
# 12
Fret spider
Fret spider
06/15/2006 5:01 pm
soz sweepfreak

misunderstandin
# 13
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
06/20/2006 2:53 am
Originally Posted by: Fret spider
now want i am a bit unsure about is why choose Aminor as the stable chord to resolve to, for instance why not resolve to any other minor chord.eg bminor.

Well, it depends on what key you're in to start with; the context is important. For example, if you just start out by playing an E7 chord on its own, then it could resolve in a number of different ways, the most common being to either some form of A major chord or some form of A minor chord. That's because of the reasons already stated above, that a V-I change has the most satisfying resolution.

In the previous example of the chord progression that went Am-->G-->F-->E7, the key is Am, so you wouldn't exactly have a Bm chord in that key to resolve to. The B chord in Am is a Bmb5, which is probably the last chord you'd wanna try to resolve to! :)
# 14
axemaster911
axemaster911
06/20/2006 5:14 am
Originally Posted by: SweepFreakBut thats just me, Know it alls must CHILL ! -posted by Axemaster911

Lol you have the audacity to make an ignorant and long-winded post culminating in a very subjective,simple-minded admonition....advising "know-it-all's" to "chill".Sir,you are a hypocrite,regardless of your knowledge,or the lackthereof.Take your own advice.

Ok, I will take that. I am just trying to see how some of these guys think about music theroy in relation to gutiar techniques, and method. Im trying to interact with the most knowledgeable I can find, and sometimes a little emotion, and ego injected into the debate can uncover the facts I am searching for.
There are know it alls every where. Nothing wrong with that, but why so upset with my long winded, ignorant, simple minded post. Is there that much nonsence in my views? And if so, "please explain"?
# 15
axemaster911
axemaster911
06/20/2006 5:37 am
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderfirstly axemaster i decided to test how much of the diatonic shape i could remeber, i got 4 out of the five caged shapes write first time and the remaining one right in a few minuets, so yes i pretty much know the entire diatonic scale up the entire neck. yes i do also know each seventh chord for each note in the diatonic scale, and yes i am also aware most song contain only the diatonic notes. yes i stilll have work to do, memorising which note of eache scale is the root 2nd third etc of each mode, but i am getting there. bearing in mind all of this i dont see why i cant be interested in other scales, stepping a bit outside the norm. i know i have to still work on the diatonic, but only learning one thing at a time i find is boaring.

to jullian, thanks a lot for the reply i am understanding what your saying and its great, any other infomation or examples would be apreciated.

I was just curious about your style, and approach to gutiar methods. I ment no disrespect. I learned much from are debates.
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.