Have you set a deadline?

Joseph
Joseph
07/30/2001 2:27 am
For a lot of musicians, the reasons thewy get started is because they want to be on stage one day, they want to be able to communicate with others as well as reciprocate.

I know a lot of guys from highschool who have set deadlines for success, and since they haven't lived up to these expectations they have put their music career on hold. Now I know how important it is for a lot of people to get their lives in order instead of constantly busting their back for an opportnity that may never come.

However, for anyone who plays guitar, or any other musical instrument, It's important to know what drives you from the very beginning.

Personally, I can say with an honest heart that I've always wanted to find the right people to go on tour with, the right people to share my ideas with, but although this chance may not come up anytime soon this doesn't undermine my overall intentions when it comes to music and the guitar. I love creating music, its a part of who I'am, and although I'm working from job to job, I'm still very patient. So, its safe to say that I haven;t set a deadline for myself, for my apparent music career, or my chajnces for touring. I just try to take life as it comes, and use my talents with the guitar etc to the best of my knowledge and enjoyment...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
07/30/2001 10:09 am
I have set a deadline to some extent. If, by the time I am about 25 I have not got a good band and gigs happening, I will rule out making a career from music, and focus on finding long time jobs that suit my other interests; namely art, literature, and philosophy. If that happens, I will still play guitar, and look for people to play gigs with, but I will not try to live by my music, unless something drastic happens. I have various reasons for that decision, and I understand that other people needn't stop focussing on music as a career after 25, but that is me, I am good at other things, so I would probably be more successful in those things.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
Willdridge
Willdridge
08/01/2001 7:12 am
I wouldn't say I've really set myself a deadline. I think though, like Bardsley, I'd decide eventually it would be time to stop relaying on it. At the same time, I think I'll also be looking for the opportunity to become a professional musicain. Either as a "big famous rock guitarist" or as a session musician. If not, I'd look at teaching guitar or something. Ultimately, music's what I love to do. It doesn't matter what mood I'm in, I can always work with music.
So....I think, no...I've not set myself a deadline. I'll always be trying to make a living off music. Might be doing other things to support me too...but I'll always be looking for those chances.
Interesting question for people to think about I reckon!
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 3
Joseph
Joseph
08/03/2001 4:48 am
Originally posted by Bardsley
I have various reasons for that decision...

Hey, I know how it is, when you feel that you have so many other options that it would just be foolish to hang onto empty pocket blues, the possibility of one day making a comfortable living as a musician.

But for lot of these guys who set deadlines for themselves, well they lose that strong feeling of motivation. Where when the right opportunities come along, they are tied down too far to do anything about it. Where they no longer have a choice in the matter...

Although, there are many other aspects of my life that I want to fulfill that doesn't necessarily include music, so many other levels of potential that I want to live up to...With music, I think for the most part, I'm always going to leave that door open. Where I'll leave just enough space to see how far I could go, professionally. Otherwise I'll always wonder.

When you're a musician, talent and your an bility to work hard is very important. But timing is everything, and with being a musician, I feel that it's important to be fully prepared when the right opportunities come our way. But once we set a deadline for ourselves, I don't necessarily look at it at viewing things realistically, I see it as the first step in giving up..

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.