The review of the new ampeg

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/06/2006 12:58 am
Alright, now that I've had it for a few months, it's time for you all to hear about my new (well... old) Ampeg VT-22 (recently bought on ebay, for those of you who didn't read the thread awhile back).

Ok... so at first I hated it... I got really mad at myself for letting all of LATS raving get to me. The problem with it was it just didn't give me a useable tone... I couldn't get that jazz sound, or the SRV sound I've been longing for.

I took a twenty foot chord, put the amp in my garage, opened tthe garage door, put the amp on 10, and played the start spangled banner. That was actually pretty cool, but nevertheless I still wasn't happy.

So I messed with the EQ for hours, and days, and weeks... I went online and read more reviews of the amp, finding out that you needed to tweak it to the max to get the sound you're looking for.

And at long last...

I found a useable tone, but it's still not what I'm looking for. I've found a way to get a nice funk tone, but the amp in general sounds really harsh to me. Maybe it's just because this isn't the typical fender amp that I could just leave flat and still great a fantastic tone out of.

But I'm hoping that I can find the magic of this amp eventually...

but I am peeved about two things -

Weight: This thing is so darn heavy, and I probably wouldn't mind that if I had found the perfect tone by now. Unfortunately that hasn't happened yet, and now weight is just one more thing getting on my nerves...

The second thing is that it just sounds old. The amp buzzes and rattles like nothing I've ever heard before. On some specific notes I'll hear a loud spring buzz that sounds like the reverb spring. Sometimes, and this is the worst of all, it just starts ringing (you know, like the "this is only a test" sound from the broadcasting company on TV?). And no matter what I do - turn off the volume of the guitar, turn down the volume of the amp, turn down the reverb, it just continues. I have to turn the amp off and on to stop it. The control panel also moves around at the top (like it shakes), and I don't know if it's supposed to do this.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not going to give up on this amp, after all the good things I've heard abou it. But it isn't living up to the name as of right now.

So please help - what can I do to save myself from thinking I made a terrible purchase?

Thanks!
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/06/2006 10:19 am
What can you do? PM LATS and he'll tell you anything and everything about your amp. Most of us don't jam Ampeg. LATS is the man to go to.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/06/2006 1:32 pm
Have you retubed it? It sounds like one of your tubes might be going awry. Also, with the right tubes, you'll get closer to the tone you want. Bob at Eurotubes was very helpful when I described the amp I had and the tone I wanted and helped me get the right tubes.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
06/06/2006 1:39 pm
wow dude, you got a reply out of Eggy...we barely ever see that guy around here anymore...remember about 3 years ago when he said he was never coming back? come to think of it, that could have been anything from 6 months to 4 years ago...

hi Egg man
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/06/2006 10:10 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew Sawow dude, you got a reply out of Eggy...

That's cuz egg man is my boy. He handed me the torch when he left...

I dropped it....
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/08/2006 5:18 am
First off, it's actually hard to not get good tone out of a V-series Ampeg. So there's something wrong. With all of the tone controls set to the 12 o'clock position, there is no boost or cut effect, so the sound you get should be exactly what your guitar delivers to the input, only loud! Tweak from there.

But if it buzzes, or rattles, or gives unprovoked feedback, it is not healthy. The reverb tank has long springs in it that can make a horrible crashing sound if the amp gets bumped hard, but that shouldn't happen unless it gets bumped hard. The whole chassis is shock-mounted on rubber supports - that's why the control panel can move. The intent was to reduce shock damage to the tubes when the amp is carted around from gig to gig. There are limits to anything. The amp should have been shipped to you with the tubes removed and carefully packed separately.

A healthy VT-22 should have lots of clean headroom, smoothly breaking into rich distortion that 10 out of 10 people recognize as sounding right. I have to conclude that your amp has some failed components.

Swap some e-mails with Bob at Eurotubes, and look around for a good amp tech who knows old Ampegs. Marshall fanatics don't understand. Fender-heads have a better feel for what a strong clean amp should sound like, but a tech who loves Ampegs can get the best out of it for you.

I suspect there's a problem with the reverb driver tube, and/or the Phase Inverter that drives the power section. The bias supply for the power tubes should also be modified to make it adjustable. The factory setup was adjusted by physically removing and installing resistors of different values to get the right voltage. A good multi-turn trimpot will not shift from vibration, and makes re-biasing much easier.

While you're looking for a tech, you can do some investigation yourself, but be careful. Any tube amp has lethal voltages in it. Ampegs have some particularly high plate voltages. Your power tubes are probably OK, but I think the preamp has some problems that are feeding bad signal to the power stage. Get a plastic chopstick, or piece of wooden dowel about a foot long, and gently tap the bottles of the tubes. All tubes are slightly microphonic, but a problem tube will scream when you tap it. If you have any spare tubes, you can swap them out one at a time to see if the problem is caused by an individual tube, or if it remains unchanged with different tube(s) installed.

Don't be discouraged. That is a tone-monster amp, with enough power to rearrange your neighbor's furniture when its healthy. Get it put right, and you will probably never again be willing settle for anything less.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/08/2006 1:31 pm
Ampeg should give you an endorsement!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/09/2006 3:06 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaAmpeg should give you an endorsement!

They should re-issue the V-series, just as they were made back in the day! :cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
alucard0941
alucard0941
06/09/2006 4:14 am
just curiosity, are there any people on this forum that do endorse guitar products. I know one instructor endorses Hamer guitars. Pretty cool.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 9
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/09/2006 1:10 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsThey should re-issue the V-series, just as they were made back in the day! :cool:

In fact, they should just stop trying to make new and "improved" amps, and put all the old classics back into production using the exact specs that were used back in the day. Also, quality control of gear and tubes should have a much tighter tollerance than what they have now. I'm beginning to think that there is no such thing as QC anymore.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/10/2006 5:55 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaIn fact, they should just stop trying to make new and "improved" amps, and put all the old classics back into production using the exact specs that were used back in the day. ...

Just try explaining that to all those people who think that Spider II amps actually sound good... :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 11
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
06/10/2006 7:40 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsJust try explaining that to all those people who think that Spider II amps actually sound good... :p

hey, they sound better than anything else for $200!

but after having owned a tube amp for several months now, I must say the spider will never compare to the tone (or volume) I get out of my peavey!
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 12
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/10/2006 8:57 pm
Peaveys Rule!!!!!!!!

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 13
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
06/11/2006 7:25 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaPeaveys Rule!!!!!!!!

AMEN!
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 14
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
06/11/2006 1:41 pm
Ibanez Thermions rule (but other Ibanez amps certainly do not!

I tried the Thermion up against a XXX, and I just preffered the Ibanez...The xxx head was also cool, but not as cool in my opinion
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/12/2006 6:34 am
Originally Posted by: Andrew Sa... I tried the Thermion up against a XXX, and I just preffered the Ibanez...The xxx head was also cool, but not as cool in my opinion

If we all had exactly the same taste in tone, there would only be one set of gear available. And we'd all sound the same. Yeaackkk! :p

I recommended the VT-22 to the Ace, because I think it fits his needs. I'm very disappointed to find out that it has not been good to him, but I'm also very sure that his problem is caused by his particular amp being unhealthy. I think that when he gets it fixed, he will agree that its a great amp. Even then, though, he may still decide that it isn't quite what he wants. The good news is that he got it for a good price, and he should be able to recover his costs if he decides to sell it.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 16
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/15/2006 3:47 pm
Alright here's the email I received from eurotubes (please keep in mind this is just his opinion):

"As a VT22 owner I can tell you from experience that getting an SRV tone or even a good Jazz tone is not really what these amps do well. If you’re after a pretty good clean and are either going to use pedals or simply dime it out then it’s a mediocre amp. It’s not great, it’s not crap, it’s just mediocre. The only reason I have one is because I got into it for 25.00 and the speakers were worth that.

The best tone these amps get is in the full tilt boogie mode, in other words dimed out. This way the inherent tube rattle is covered up. Tubes placed this close to a couple 12’s equals tube rattle no matter what brand you use.

I’m not trying sound like a downer on VT22’s and I keep mine around because it does have that one trick that it does pretty well but that’s it. You will find plenty of players out there including quite a few VT22 customers of mine that love these amps and will call me crazy but I always give my honest opinion when asked.

Good tubes like the JJ 6L6GC’s which is what I run in them (same tube as the JJ 7027A) and good pre’s will add a little warmth but if you’re after a good SRV tone and no tube rattle then you won’t get it from this amp….

I can sell you tubes, and depending on what tubes are in the amp now and their condition you will probably hear an increase in tone quality but not the result you’re after.

In closing, I’m NPT blowing you off on this and I will of course answer any other specific questions you have or if you prefer to call me I would be glad to spend dome phone time with you on this.

Thanks,
Bob"

Any opinions?
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 17
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/15/2006 4:04 pm
I think "YMMV" applies here. I don't get to dime mine, because I don't play in large clubs where a 100+ Watt amp can be cranked without hurting people. So its usually running clean, with pedals for added distortion, or using a Peavey Rock Master preamp for uber-gain.

At tolerable volume levels, I don't get tube rattle. None. And the tone is very flexible and adjustable. From thick 'woman tone' to Roy Buchanan-type icepick shrill. To me, Fender and Marshall amps are the one-trick ponies. The Ampeg can produce their tones, plus anything else you care to dial in.

If pure clean is all you want, get an old Roland JC-120. If you want something that will do it all, get an old Ampeg. As Bob says, his experience is different. I'm not about to call him crazy - I just find that my results don't match his. Or Ace's, apparently.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 18
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/15/2006 4:10 pm
Do you have a way to record and upload a few clips of your ampeg? I'd love to hear a few different tones from it, raw, guitar straight in, no accompaniment music/backing track, just guitar-amp-mic-tape/HD-internet. If you aren't able to do this, do you know of any clips like this anywhere that I could listen to? I'm still very intrigued with the V-4, and would love to be able to try one through my cab with a hotplate, but that's a little easier said than done :(

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 19
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/16/2006 3:54 am
I haven't got any recordings I can send you. I think the sound that Eurotubes Bob calls "full tilt boogie" is best captured on the Rolling Stones track "Midnight Rambler". To say that that is the only sound you can get from it, is to overlook a lot of other possibilities. And if tube rattle is an unavoidable consequence of the VT-22 design, why are there so many combo tube amps?

I understand the logic behind the critique, and I admit that there are more fans of the V-4 head than the VT-22 combo, but I get what I want out of my VT, and I ain't shy about sayin' so. I actually play my salvaged VT-40 more often, but thats because it has a Master Volume, not because it sounds better.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.