View post (The review of the new ampeg)

View thread

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/15/2006 3:47 pm
Alright here's the email I received from eurotubes (please keep in mind this is just his opinion):

"As a VT22 owner I can tell you from experience that getting an SRV tone or even a good Jazz tone is not really what these amps do well. If you’re after a pretty good clean and are either going to use pedals or simply dime it out then it’s a mediocre amp. It’s not great, it’s not crap, it’s just mediocre. The only reason I have one is because I got into it for 25.00 and the speakers were worth that.

The best tone these amps get is in the full tilt boogie mode, in other words dimed out. This way the inherent tube rattle is covered up. Tubes placed this close to a couple 12’s equals tube rattle no matter what brand you use.

I’m not trying sound like a downer on VT22’s and I keep mine around because it does have that one trick that it does pretty well but that’s it. You will find plenty of players out there including quite a few VT22 customers of mine that love these amps and will call me crazy but I always give my honest opinion when asked.

Good tubes like the JJ 6L6GC’s which is what I run in them (same tube as the JJ 7027A) and good pre’s will add a little warmth but if you’re after a good SRV tone and no tube rattle then you won’t get it from this amp….

I can sell you tubes, and depending on what tubes are in the amp now and their condition you will probably hear an increase in tone quality but not the result you’re after.

In closing, I’m NPT blowing you off on this and I will of course answer any other specific questions you have or if you prefer to call me I would be glad to spend dome phone time with you on this.

Thanks,
Bob"

Any opinions?
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks