Tonequest 101 complete!

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/28/2006 9:08 pm
Yesterday, I did something that I never thought I would ever be able to do with my "rig": I found a tone that I really liked! It's so beautiful, I'm having so much more fun with the guitar now that I actually like the sound of what I'm playing. How did I get it? Simply by switching pickups for the first time in ages! :D I've always played with the neck pickup on my Strat, because I've always thought that the bridge pickup had too bright a sound. Yesterday, I came up with a novel idea - why not try the middle pickup for a change? One flick of a switch, and voila!
I also turned the "Low Mid" on my little amp all the way up, and brought the "High Mid" up to 7. It sounds so much better than it did before, I can hardly recognise it. It's got a sound that's smooth enough for a great rhythm sound, with just enough definition for a really nice jazzy lead, given a bit more volume. When I plugged in my effects unit, I was just as pleased! The tone sounds fine with all kinds of effects, including wah and phasing. The Blackface amp model on my RP80 makes it sound bright enough for jazz-funk and pop, and the Fuzz Distortion model makes it sound a lot like Eric Johnson's tone.

So, there you go - a case in point to prove that you don't need expensive equipment to get a nice sound!
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/28/2006 9:51 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraSods law will have it that you'll probably hate the tone tomorrow.

Well, I decided to put Sod's Law to the test, and I still like the tone.

Then again, Sod's By-Law probably states that Sod's Law only comes into effect when you least expect it :p.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
pure
pure
05/29/2006 2:31 am
yea i found this awesome tone on my amp last night and today i already hated it.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/29/2006 4:17 pm
what the hell is "sod's law"? :confused:

That's great that you found a tone that makes you happy. As a certified "tone whore" I know how great it can feel when you finally find that tone that makes you go "hell yeah!!!"

And as you said, it goes to show that you don't have to have an expensive rig to get great tone. All it takes is getting familiar with your equipment, and trying new things. A lot of times, it will turn out that the last thing you thing that would sound good, ends up being the holy grail of tone.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
05/29/2006 8:09 pm
sods law is englands version of murpheys law.
# 5
pure
pure
05/30/2006 2:07 am
Originally Posted by: suicidalmoosesods law is englands version of murpheys law.

sod's law is a broader version of murphy's law.

i follow murphy's law and i didn't even know i do.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 6
alucard0941
alucard0941
06/02/2006 6:24 am
lets just say...there is a reason sod didnt die of natural causes... :mad:

anyways, you should record it and post on the listening post. Especially since its jazz month.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 7
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
06/02/2006 6:59 am
Originally Posted by: alucard0941
anyways, you should record it and post on the listening post. Especially since its jazz month.

Er... it will probably sound crap to you guys, because my gear is so dodgy - but I am recording something this Sunday, with my teacher's proper recording equipment.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 8
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
06/06/2006 1:20 pm
can someone give me a nice step by step guide to dialing in a great tone on my amp...?
which parameters should I set first? and how so?
I'm tried of sounding mediocre...I have ****ING AMAZING gear, so its now time I start sounding ****ING AMAZING!
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 9
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/06/2006 3:38 pm
Check out >THIS< post by Lats. Some very usefull info there.

Here's what I personally do... I start with all tone controlls at 12 o'clock. Since my favorite part of a guitars tone is baseball bat to the chest midrange punch, that's where I start. I get real familiar with how the mid control changes the tone, and what it's characteristics are. Once I find a nice place for my midrange, I'll usually move on to the treble next. I'll do the same thing here... get to know it, and how it reacts with the other controlls. I usually add just enough treble to give some clarity and bite, but not so much that it causes ear fatigue. Then I'll move on to the bass. Thunderous bass is nice, and sounds good, but the fact it... it will kill your tone in a mix or a band situation. I usually only add enough bass to fill out the low end a bit. Also, try rolling back on the gain a bit. Using too much gain can really muddy up a great tone, and make it get lost in a mix. Set the gain where you think it sounds best, and then roll it back just a touch and leave it there. Also, if you have a tube amp, your best tones are gonna come when you really have it cranked up, so just keep that in mind.

One more thing to pay attention to... Where you're standing/sitting in relation to your speakers will greatly effect how you perceive your tone. Tilt your amp back so that the speakers are pointing more towards your head, or walk out infront of your amp about 10-15 feet to hear what your amp really sounds like, and how people that are listening to you hear it. ;)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 10
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
06/06/2006 4:54 pm
Playa, LATS, thanks guys, thats exactly what I am looking for...I sat and tried to dial in the best tone I could get out of my new Ibanez Thermion head today...I got a great I started much the same way as Playa suggested, but with all of the knobs at zero, not twelve, so maybe this could change things....as it turns out, I generally play with a lot less gain than most cats, but I will still try your suggestion.

thanks so much Playa, and Lats, for an article written long ago, that is exactly what I have been hunting for.

cheers
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 11
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
06/09/2006 5:31 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaCheck out >THIS< post by Lats. Some very usefull info there.

Here's what I personally do... I start with all tone controlls at 12 o'clock. Since my favorite part of a guitars tone is baseball bat to the chest midrange punch, that's where I start. I get real familiar with how the mid control changes the tone, and what it's characteristics are. Once I find a nice place for my midrange, I'll usually move on to the treble next. I'll do the same thing here... get to know it, and how it reacts with the other controlls. I usually add just enough treble to give some clarity and bite, but not so much that it causes ear fatigue. Then I'll move on to the bass. Thunderous bass is nice, and sounds good, but the fact it... it will kill your tone in a mix or a band situation. I usually only add enough bass to fill out the low end a bit. Also, try rolling back on the gain a bit. Using too much gain can really muddy up a great tone, and make it get lost in a mix. Set the gain where you think it sounds best, and then roll it back just a touch and leave it there. Also, if you have a tube amp, your best tones are gonna come when you really have it cranked up, so just keep that in mind.

One more thing to pay attention to... Where you're standing/sitting in relation to your speakers will greatly effect how you perceive your tone. Tilt your amp back so that the speakers are pointing more towards your head, or walk out infront of your amp about 10-15 feet to hear what your amp really sounds like, and how people that are listening to you hear it. ;)

awsome advice i have revived my rig thanxs
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.