Funk arrangement?

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/27/2006 9:50 pm
Last night I managed to come up with the funkiest thing I've yet written. So far, my arrangement goes:
Intro
Double verse
Chorus
Single verse
Chorus

What next? Should I have a bridge? A funky breakdown? A guitar solo? A third verse? Some combination of the above, in a specific order? What would you guys do?

Thanks for the advice. :)
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/27/2006 10:06 pm
Bridge->Solo->chorus->end. That would be a solid structure.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
quickfingers
quickfingers
05/02/2006 3:55 pm
sometimes i hate looking at my song structure because no matter how creative or inventive my licks/lyrics are, it always sticks somewhat reticent to the standard rock structure....gotta break that sometimes.

i was in some crappy ****punkband a few years back and we had a few songs that had no repitition whatsoever; we never went back to the same thing. it was kindof interesting, if you like the whole chaos punk deal.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 3
Kole_Music
Kole_Music
05/03/2006 11:43 pm
( This is what I would do. Unfortunately I don't have any tips for funk, however this may be more beneficial )

I recommend that you disregard typical structures and instead form your own structure around the material you have present. For example, if you have a really great melody and rhythm section, but no lyrics, do not use a vocal music structure. Instead perhaps, do something like this.

Melody is Introduced -> Combined with Rhythmic portion -> Develop both of these two strong points -> Breakdown (perhaps do a call and response type of thing) -> Bring back the fully developed melody and Rhythm -> End

This would not be a very typical or standard Funk Arrangement, however, if you follow the strongpoints of your material, a great piece of music will be the final product.

Peace and Good Luck.
-Kole (Kyle Hicks)
http://www.KoleMusician.com
http://www.myspace.com/kolemusic

Composer, Guitarist, Instructor.
# 4
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/04/2006 5:02 am
Thanks, everybody :) . As anybody who has seen my Soundclick page recently will know, the damage has already been done :o - but once I get some new recording gear, I may have another go at it.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.